Where does Mundy sit in the Pantheon of greats at Freo now?

Remove this Banner Ad

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
With Mundy at 35 having played 329 games, arguably in the best and most consistent form of his career and hopefully to go around again next year to get within sight of Pav's all time games record I was thinking lately where he sits in the ranking of our club greats.

Generally when the subject comes up names like McPharlin, Sandilands and even our current Captain are named before him and some even consider Fyfe to have surpassed Pav.

For my money Pay is still and probably always will be the greatest. His loyalty and the influence that had on our culture will never be repeated. Our club was uniquely handicapped by the ALF and we were setup so unconventionally that we were for a long time a bit of a joke. It took a man of Pav's qualities to almost single handedly change that and with Ross Lyon he took us to our first Grand Final. He will always the greatest.

For me though Mundy has moved into a clear number 2. His longevity, consistency and the influence he's currently having on the helping lead and set standards for the next generation make him a true great of the club.

I hope he moves into coaching /mentoring when he finally doesn't hang up the boots. I couldn't love and admire the guy more.

freoextra

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
The guy with two Brownlows is the greatest Docker followed by Pav, Sandi/Mundy and then Walters. An outstanding best five players of all time.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Cool thread topic E Shed
Pav, Fyfe, Sandi, Mundy are my top 4, I think you can argue over the order but those 4 are the main men IMO

Yeti

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2012
Newcastle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fyfe number - 1
Pavlich number - 2
Mundy / McPharlin too hard to split at - 3 / 4
Sandilands - 5

Walters is in the next group down. If he plays for us in a premiership and has a big influence he probably goes ahead of Sandilands. If he plays 300 he is in the McPharlin / Mundy convo.

All of this is until Brayshaw captains us to a 3peat, 6 AAs and 2 x 2nd place finishes in the Norm Smith.

Wilksyy

Tab on a 🦀
Aug 26, 2018
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Leeds Utd
Pav - All Australian on all 3 links of the ground, his longevity and loyalty are why he’s the number 1 Docker.

Fyfe - 2 Brownlows and the best contested possession beast in the game.

Mundy - He’s number 3 for me. If Mundy we’re playing for a Vic team they would be calling him silk. It’s a shame it took him turning 34/35 for the media over east to appreciate him, he’s always been underrated. I could see him going for 2 more seasons under JL’s system.

It’s cool to have two 300 gamers in our history while our neighbours have none.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
1. Pavlich
2. Fyfe
3. Sandi

All three would dominate in any team of the last 20 years. Sandi was a dominance ruck with multiple AAs.
Fyfe is number 2, for now. He needs to play 250+ games and win successfully as captain. Hasn’t made finals in 5 years, regardless of his Brownlows. He ll get there, but that’s probably why he’s number 2.
Pav was our greatest ever Captain and player. Without a doubt.

Mundy sits at 4th. Ultimate solider and durable man. Averages 20 games a season since his debut in 2005. Ridiculous. He’s more of Freo’s Greatest quiet achiever/resilience.
Question is, what if Mundy went back to home, Victoria. Where would he be rated? Severely underrated nor talked about in that respect. Feel like would’ve been different if he played for Collingwood.
McPharlin is close behind at number 5.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
McPharlin is crazy underrated even in here...

Number three for me... and with daylight to fourth.
Was debating that. But his inability to be consistently on the park, regardless of the fact he played 244 games for us. Mundy was durable and flexible of the 15 years he’s been playing. He has played 20 games per season in all but 4 times (if you include this season). Remarkable for a WA based player, as a midfielder.
McPharlin was robbed of more AAs tbh. He only played 5 20 season games out of 14.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pav is the player people think of when talking about Fremantle greats. He will always be the first legend of the club.

Fyfe will end up close second and Mundy third. Those three are pretty clear IMO. Sandi, Bell, McPharlin, Ballas, Johnson and Walters all in the next group. Probably missed someone but clear three.

Yeti

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2012
Newcastle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pav is the player people think of when talking about Fremantle greats. He will always be the first legend of the club.

Fyfe will end up close second and Mundy third. Those three are pretty clear IMO. Sandi, Bell, McPharlin, Ballas, Johnson and Walters all in the next group. Probably missed someone but clear three.

While I think Fyfe is our greatest and will finish his career here I do accept that Pavlich is the obvious challenger to my thought process.

If Fyfe wins a Norm Smith and a flag tilt he is untouchable for the top spot.

And he may get that opportunity before he finishes his career, which I was doubting 12 months ago.

Aug 27, 2007
Block 108 as loud as any
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Everton_East Freo_Atalanta_Tranmere
Pavlich, Fyfe
----
Mundy, Sandilands, McPharlin
---
Walters, Bell, Johnson, Ballas
---
Parker, Kickett, Cook, Grover, Crowley, Barlow
---
Duffield, McManus, Haselby, Mayne, Hayden, Farmer, J.Carr, S.Hill

That's my top list. Each level can be argued RE: order. That's how I remember them (was only 5/6 in 1995 so my memory of the early days was shaky at best). I probably forgot a few but skimming over games played for us, that's how I'd see it. Heart and Pride in the jumper also helped me elevate guys like Kickett, Cook, Crowley, McManus; just pure guts

Last edited:
Pavlich, Fyfe
----
Mundy, Sandilands, McPharlin
---
Walters, Bell, Johnson
---
Parker, Kickett, Cook, Grover, Crowley, Barlow
---
Duffield, McManus, Haselby, Mayne, Hayden, Farmer, J.Carr, S.Hill

That's my top list. Each level can be argued RE: order. That's how I remember them (was only 5/6 in 1995 so my memory of the early days was shaky at best). I probably forgot a few but skimming over games played for us, that's how I'd see it. Heart and Pride in the jumper also helped me elevate guys like Kickett, Cook, Crowley, McManus; just pure guts
Would have Ballas ahead of some of those 4th and 5th tier names otherwise I agree

Last edited:

Sweetback

Cancelled
Dec 23, 2014
Yep, third for me too. Pav number one because he was our beacon for so long and through dark dark times. Fyfe because of the individual achievements. Mundy for being awesome all the time. If I had to choose between one of them to body/life swap, it would be Mundy.

anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
I still think Pav.Remember that when he was recruited he was taken as a forward.For much of his career he never played there.He was a handy man.Played back.Won AA.Played mid.Won AA.
Played forward .Won AA.
More than half his 353 games were played anywhere but forward,yet still was able to kick as close to two goals a game.
Six Doigs, Six AA's.
Mundy has been a great servant of the club and much much better than an average player.Had he played for a Victorian club, he would be considered a great by even the Victorians.
Fyfe is still in the process of writing his own history.Much more to come in the next five years.
But Pav, Mundy, McPharlin, Fyfe, at the momnet.
That is in my opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back