Where does Mundy sit in the Pantheon of greats at Freo now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pavlich, Fyfe
----
Mundy, Sandilands, McPharlin
---
Walters, Bell, Johnson, Ballas
---
Parker, Kickett, Cook, Grover, Crowley, Barlow
---
Duffield, McManus, Haselby, Mayne, Hayden, Farmer, J.Carr, S.Hill

That's my top list. Each level can be argued RE: order. That's how I remember them (was only 5/6 in 1995 so my memory of the early days was shaky at best). I probably forgot a few but skimming over games played for us, that's how I'd see it. Heart and Pride in the jumper also helped me elevate guys like Kickett, Cook, Crowley, McManus; just pure guts
If I was nit-picking, I’d have Shill a bit higher, probably on the 3rd line with Walters etc. I’d also throw in Ibbotson & Clive on the 5th row. Clive is a dead set rock star.
Great job.

I have Mundy in the top 5, in the rung below Fyfe, Pav & Sandi. I have him number 1 for consistency and durability. He's an absolute champion.

The Pav vs. Fyfe debate is one that will never be settled, frankly. Pav will always be the spiritual centre of our club given how he stuck by us through some of our most difficult periods, but that's why I think it's unfair to bring this up when comparing the two because it's something that Fyfe won't ever be able to emulate. The only way you can compare the two fairly is on statistical outputs and/or individual accolades.

- Both have won multiple Doig's, All Australian's etc..
- We can all agree that the Brownlow is pretty much a midfielder's award, but Fyfe does have two of them.
- Pav never won a Coleman, which in my eyes is the highest individual honour a forward in the modern-era can hope to achieve - the position he spent most of his career in and had the most output from.

I love Pav, we all love Pav and we can agree that he's the greatest "Docker". Based on achievements though, Fyfe has edged Pav as our best ever footballer, and remarkably, he still has time ahead of him to add to his legacy.

Last edited:

If I was nit-picking, I’d have Shill a bit higher, probably on the 3rd line with Walters etc. I’d also throw in Ibbotson & Clive on the 5th row. Clive is a dead set rock star.
Great job.

For that goal against Geelong alone, he could/should definitely be in the next rung

Clive I debated over -as with guys like Modra/Medhust. Ibbotson was one I actually forgot about. Was a damn good servant of the club - so was Dawson and in our most succesful era but he didn't scream Freo - he played with pride for the jumper he wore - not so much the club he played for.

I probably won't edit again, but I'm pretty comfortable with it otherwise :)

In whichever order you put them imo you have to have Pavlich and Fyfe on the top step by themselves. Both long term captains, outright stars of the competition for a good run of years during their careers and, assuming Fyfe's continues as you'd expect, longevity to top it off.

You have a team of 22 Pavlich's or 22 Fyfe's and there's not another Freo player's 22 that comes even remotely close. Silly example I know but their skill, talent and versatility are just an absolute class above. For the record I'd still back the Pavlich 22 in for a narrow win.

Back on topic and Mundy has to be top 5 and agree with im_a_lazy_sod it's with Sandilands and Mcpharlin.

I have Mundy in the top 5, in the rung below Fyfe, Pav & Sandi. I have him number 1 for consistency and durability. He's an absolute champion.

The Pav vs. Fyfe debate is one that will never be settled, frankly. Pav will always be the spiritual centre of our club given how he stuck by us through some of our most difficult periods, but that's why I think it's unfair to bring this up when comparing the two because it's something that Fyfe won't ever be able to emulate. The only way you can compare the two fairly is on statistical outputs and/or individual accolades.

- Both have won multiple Doig's, All Australian's etc..
- We can all agree that the Brownlow is pretty much a midfielder's award, but Fyfe does have two of them.
- Pav never won a Coleman, which in my eyes is the highest individual honour a forward in the modern-era can hope to achieve - the position he spent most of his career in and had the most output from.

I love Pav, we all love Pav and we can agree that he's the greatest "Docker". Based on achievements though, Fyfe has edged Pav as our best ever footballer, and remarkably, he still has time ahead of him to add to his legacy.
Agree to all this except fyfe needs to kick those clinch goals from 50m out to drag his side through for the win.
Mundy when he first started has a come a long way.

Pav for me will always be number one, no offence To Fyfey.

What we went through from the beginning and suddenly having Pav was a signal of great change for the club. We had never drafted that well, had struggled to keep interstate kids here (Jeff White), and just didn't have that loyalty that Pav brought. We had survived on taking the scraps from other clubs and players who were past it (lets be fair, Mods had had 2 ACLs and was unrequired at Adelaide). Then along came Pav and it seemed like the world had changed and we had a man who could literally drag the team by the scruff of the neck to wins (v Roos in 2003). He was a one man army that helped us become more than a joke.

Fyfe is the superstar that we have always dreamt of having. A player that other clubs fans are jealous of and people find difficult to find a comparison onfield and he will be deeply entrenched at number 2.

Mundy, Macca and Sandi are greats who didn't start that way but ended it so. Walters will inevitably join them

Parker, Johnson, Macca, Grover, Duffield, Ballas*, Kickett and Cookie are toilers who bled purple and will be remembered for doing so.

Bell is a club legend and a leader who sometimes pushed the envelope on how involved a player should be in club affairs but has genuinely always wanted the best for the club.

Barlow is a club legend who should have been allowed to finish his career here.

Allan and Mann are clubs legends who love the club and maybe could have been more but continued to be involved.

Clive, Meds, Farmer, Keplar, Wills are cult figures and will always be remembered for their unpredicability.

Clinton Wolf - hilarious.

* His talk of moving cross town leaves him with a black mark over his name.

Last edited:
Asking a person this question is interesting since everyone interprets the word "greatest" differently. Some will see it as either best player, most influential player, or favourite player.

I don't think many would argue Fyfe is the best player of our club, although it's hard to compare a forward with a mid I think most neutrals if asked would put 1. Fyfe 2. Pavlich 3. Sandilands+Mcpharlin and 4th Mundy.

Then there's most influential player which I guess would be looking at the macro effect of the player overall on the club and Pavlich is clearly number 1 for obvious reasons, he carried the team on his back for so many years gave so much hope to fans. He was the spiritual leader of the club and synonymous with Freo more so than Fyfe is. I think under this criteria Mundy edges a few others and arguably ahead of Fyfe if you just look at "most influential player for team mates around them" he was voted captain in the first place because of how loved he is at the place. But more broadly a top 5 influential list would be
1. Pavlich 2. Fyfe 3. Mundy 4. Mcpharlin 5. Sandilands

Or it could just mean favourite player and Pavlich is clear number 1 for me, he was such a spectacle to watch and I have super fond memories screaming his name like a mad fan girl at the footy when I was 16, he brings back so much nostalgia. It was weird in that I almost equally desired for us to win a flag not just for the club but for Pavlich to have at least one and makes me sad he never did. My favourite player list would be
1. Pavlich 2. Fyfe and I love all my other Freo babies equally.

Overall it's an interesting debate but I think when more precise definitions are used it's a bit more clear cut. Mundy ahead of Fyfe only if you're being very specific about the category.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To think that my high school graduation present was premium seats for the Freo vs Collingwood game of 2005 (112pt win).

6 goals for Pavlich
5 goals for McPharlin.
Sandi dominated.

On that night it felt like I was watching the 3 greatest dockers of all time.
Didnt des headland kick 6?

For what it's worth, I think the Great Man (Mr Pavlich) is still the Greatest Docker of All Time. Fyfe is the best player to have ever played for the club and is close second behind Pav.

Mr Mundy is third behind these guys. McPharlin and Sandi are right there too!

I don't think the top 3 (or 4) will change for a long time. Maybe Cerra or Serong after a Norm and a Chas each, but they still have to put in another 10 years, until they're up there with the true greats.

Also, if Dave plays 21 games next year he'll equal the Great Man in games played. It's a fair old effort.

Pav tops the leaderboard by a nose, Fyfe a close second, as leaders, for skill and as the face of the club to the AFL community (the likes of Bell don't mention in the conversation for that). Both are contenders for the pantheon of AFL greats, though Fyfe probably still needs to do a bit more in that regard (another brownlow would be handy or he needs to string together a chain of winning grand finals).

McManus bled purple both on and off the field, his contribution is way bigger than gameday.

We've got a few tier 2 such as McPharlin, Bell, Walters. Some of our players near the formation of the club didn't have a chance to play a full career with us, otherwise there'd be a few interesting contenders for tier 2 and possibly one or two eligible for tier 1 with the above 3.

Brayshaw will probably play his career out for us, in which case he is likely to have babies named after him and a statue or two, someone that you can build a premiership team around and be long remembered as a Freo great with Pav and Fyfe.

Fyfe needs a premiership medal around his neck to surpass Pav....Mundy currently equal third with Sandi. Will jump to outright third next year when he gets his Norm Smith.

For what it's worth, I think the Great Man (Mr Pavlich) is still the Greatest Docker of All Time. Fyfe is the best player to have ever played for the club and is close second behind Pav.

good thoughts.

Fyfe is a better player than Pavlich - but is he worth more than Pavlich or had a bigger impact on the club? i don't think so.

Pav took us from a minnow club to a powerful club during his tenure. He was also clutch in finals and the big moments for the club.

David Mundy what a footballers footballer, tied for third place with Sandi and McPharlin, the day Fyfe passes Pav for number one is the day Fyfe learns to kick a captains goal. Until then Pav by a nose.

Mmmmm, so it appears you have Pav along way ahead of Fyfe.

A nose's length, is a country mile around Pav.

Didnt des headland kick 6?

Please keep Desmond's name out of this discussion, he isn't fit to be in the same room as Seany Mac & Shane Parker.

Pav at one, Fyfe at two, then Mundy & Co as the support acts. But then I'm a person who has regularly enjoyed the support acts better than the main acts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back