List Mgmt. Where does our improvement come from in 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

A fair bit of improvement rests on Moore, De Goey, Maynard and any draftees.
The rest of the list is hard to see much of a variance in improvement. We might get better years out of some older blokes to really tip us towards 8th at best, but we seem to be in a bit of a mid table trough.

Nah, we've still got shoitloads of developing kids who are yet to hit the peaks. Even guys like WHE and Wells will be better next year than this because they've had that first year familiarisation.

Think with Adams, DeGoey, Maynard, Crisp, Wills and Greenwood we've got more than enough "blue collar" by which I assume you're looking for blokes who'll get down and dirty.

If you look at the stats, it seems blue collar midfielders an old expression for the down and dirty players tend to lead the clearances. Something that has been brought to my attention by a poster that we struggle in.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2017&rt=LT&st=CL

Out of those, Adams, is not our best mid, but best at clearances, ranked 19th.

So yeah, I'd say generally speaking, blue collar types are generally better at winning clearances.
The white collar types, Pendles, Sidey, Wells, and Trealoar not so.

I'd rate our current midfield as a white collar midfield.
Fifteen years ago I'd describe it as blue collar, Licuria, Burns, O'Bree and Buckley, although like Martin and Dangerfield, Buckley was both white and blue collar.

And looking at that list, I'd love to get Sloane.
Degoey will be a beast in the clearances in the coming years.

If you look at the stats, it seems blue collar midfielders an old expression for the down and dirty players tend to lead the clearances. Something that has been brought to my attention by a poster that we struggle in.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2017&rt=LT&st=CL

Out of those, Adams, is not our best mid, but best at clearances, ranked 19th.

So yeah, I'd say generally speaking, blue collar types are generally better at winning clearances.
The white collar types, Pendles, Sidey, Wells, and Trealoar not so.

I'd rate our current midfield as a white collar midfield.
Fifteen years ago I'd describe it as blue collar, Licuria, Burns, O'Bree and Buckley, although like Martin and Dangerfield, Buckley was both white and blue collar.

And looking at that list, I'd love to get Sloane.
Degoey will be a beast in the clearances in the coming years.

Yeah, I think people try to read too much into it, not every team can have a Dangerfield.

Break the general clearances down and you get 1. centre clearances where we have Treloar (23rd), Adams (26th), and Pendles (32th). If every team has 2 then in theory having 2 in the top 36 should be acceptable, we've got 3, so our depth is better than most teams. If you look at 2. stoppage clearances where we have Grundy (16th), Adams (21st), Treloar (30th), and Pendles (31st) so 4 of the top 36 so again greater depth. It's why we got that ridiculous No1 midfield ranking.

And that's even without adding Sidebottom or factoring in potential improvement in this area from DeGoey and Maynard, or that 1 of our best in Wells had really restricted midfield time across his 10 games. I'd say we're blue collar enough or at least punching above our weight.

Ultimately though, what the stats don't tell you is the quality of the clearance and if we retained the footy. That's the area where I think we need to improve and I'd see that as more white collar under your definition and hence why we chased Wells and Aish and WHE.

Last edited:

2 more wins in 2017 and we finish 10th. The reality is we did not win 2 more games we finished . Fantasy what if's are completely irrelevant. We have finishes 12th, 12th and 13th in the last 3 years. That's fact. Had we won more games we would have finishes higher but in none of the last 3 years were we good enough to do that. It is what it is. We are down with the also rans but we haven't accumulated top end kids yet.

We actually lost less this year than last and fell from 12th to 13th so it clearly has to be the wins that count.

It could come from improvement in Moore, Maynard, De Goey, Scharenberg, Cox, Daicos, Kirby & WHE.

It could come from the bodies of Wells, Reid, Varcoe, Elliott, Wills & Langdon allowing them to play full seasons.

It could come from the penny dropping for Aish, Broomhead, Fasolo.

It could not come at all.

You're welcome to leave your head where it is on the Food and Wine thread :)
I'll have to extract it from a certain place first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have a well balanced list which will result in solid improvement next season. Tweaks to skills work and a simplified game plan is all that's required.
Serious question.
Why do we need to simplify the game plan? ie Why / how did the game plan become too complex?

I think having Maxy back, he is an example of where commitment and hard work can take you. AA premiership captain, rookie pick. We need leaders stepping up, grundy, Maynard, JDG and Moore, hard nose, uncompromising, take no crap leaders

Pendles is a champion, consummate professional, leader but he needs some hard core generals out there. Grundy has it, Maynard has it, Adams tries hard.

Wills could step up. I would love to see Cox get angry

From today's Age... - surprise - other teams want to improve as well...
upload_2017-10-23_8-42-3.png
Getting better in NAB, better game plan on paper, better skills bla bla etc alone doesn't cut it. We need to improve at a faster rate than other teams.
What are the main 4-6 things that need to happen on / off field to make us improve faster than other teams?
IMO - i) set shot goal kicking from within the arc, ii) faster, cleaner ball movement.
PS. Fast ball movement not just a product of having fast runners. (Winning relay teams have the best baton changes - not necessarily the 4 fastest sprinters).

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-23_8-41-49.png
    upload_2017-10-23_8-41-49.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Mike Sheahan summed it up well on den today
How can a side which finished 13th hope to improve with so many clubs above it so actively improving their list?
Pretty logical analysis from him.
Gold Coast, Freo, North and Brisbane only clubs we can be confident of finishing above in 2018
Carlton been aggressive and now almost better than us for list quality.certainly will better
Looking at clubs above us in 2017 I think hawks the only query about the relative quality of their list so maybe we can go above them

Rey of the teams have significantly more talent in their books and we no chance of catching bat seriously bad injury run

Remove this Banner Ad

Back