Where does Richmond v Collingwood rank among the great 'missed' Grand Finals?

Feb 26, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just as an aside, Hawthorn made the 1975 GF as well, so you can stretch that back another year. If you add Richmond into that mix you can then go back to 1969 and fill in that gap from 1982 as well, and I think 1980 would then be the only year that any of those three met each other in a Grand Final.
1974 GF could have been Richmond V Hawthorn. Strange year with North having the wood over Hawthorn but unable to beat Richmond and Hawthorn having the wood against Richmond. Hawthorn lost the PF to North by 4 pts. The Richmond North GF was a fizzer. Richmond v Hawthorn GF would have been a beauty.

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
I have a team in each of the 4 main American sports, but the only one I regularly watch is the Jets in the NFL.

There's no perfect way to track it though, apart from asking people what can you really do? Unless you then exclude people based on how they respond to their level of support.

They could have a more detailed survey asking questions like membership, frequency of attendance at the ground, watching on tv, merchandise, level of interest, to get a better idea.

I still maintain West Coast has the largest real supporter base in the land lol

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
At least this year there can be no complaints about an MCG grands final and Richmond, unlike 2 years ago when the Crows by rights deserved home ground advantage.

Sigh, only the other mob in town could have the audacity to complain about an MCG Grand Final which apparently wasn't an issue in 1997 or 1998.

They earned two home finals by finishing Top 2 (1st). They got what they deserved.

Should we have played Geelong at Kardinia Park for the 2007 Grand Final? Yeah, exactly.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
They could have a more detailed survey asking questions like membership, frequency of attendance at the ground, watching on tv, merchandise, level of interest, to get a better idea.

I still maintain West Coast has the largest real supporter base in the land lol
Yeh that's what I mean they could exclude fans that don't watch or attend or listen or follow, etc.

2.5 mil people in WA? Maybe 1 in 3 or 4 are an active footy fan? It's not unreasonable to suggest Eagles have the most. When you think about it 2 teams competing for a market of ~2.5m is a much better ratio than 10 teams competing for ~6.5 mil in VIC.

Makes you think if the Swans did get everything right and could engage their state they would be the biggest by far, 2 teams in NSW for a population of around 8 million. The only team based in Sydney, and the longest one there? Huge market.

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeh that's what I mean they could exclude fans that don't watch or attend or listen or follow, etc.

2.5 mil people in WA? Maybe 1 in 3 or 4 are an active footy fan? It's not unreasonable to suggest Eagles have the most. When you think about it 2 teams competing for a market of ~2.5m is a much better ratio than 10 teams competing for ~6.5 mil in VIC.

Makes you think if the Swans did get everything right and could engage their state they would be the biggest by far, 2 teams in NSW for a population of around 8 million. The only team based in Sydney, and the longest one there? Huge market.

Yeah if we assume a similar % in Perth follow footy as in Melbourne, and we assume half at least casually follow, that's 1 million in Perth and 1.25 in WA (in rural WA most go for WC). And WC would have about 65% of that, so 650,000. Melbourne, a city of 4.6 million, that's 2.4 million footy fans divided over 9 teams, half the teams in the AFL. Some have a lot more casual supporters, but there's no way in hell Collingwood or Richmond get close to 650k/2.4 million, over 1 in 4 in Melbourne.

Sydney is still firmly rugby territory of course. Seeing rugby league/union fields everywhere instead of AFL ovals is almost like a culture shock. It is growing, and it's easy to convert cricket ovals into footy grounds. Moreso than into rugby pitches. So the cultural background/legacy of rules in Sydney is a lot less. It seems a lot more people in WA and Vic are casually into AFL than people in Sydney are casually into NRL. From my experience many Sydneysiders are completely ignorant about NRL. It doesn't have the same mainstream reach.

Final Siren

Mr Squiggle
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Lol it's not the 1980's anymore half those people are dead and supporters of the "big 4" and Elvis Presley need to get with the times. 4th v 11th so it's not even a missed big grand final. Every Grand Final fills out to 100k seat wise

3-DF3-FD54-3-BE2-4731-A7-A7-54-FF1-ED24-A33.jpg

It's not about numbers, it's about hysteria. Richmond & Collingwood boast heaving hordes of deluded nutcases who are constantly one bad umpiring call away from burning down a stadium.

Sydney may have 1.2M supporters in principle, but most of them would celebrate the Grand Final by accidentally discovering the result on their phones the next day.

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Lol it's not the 1980's anymore half those people are dead and supporters of the "big 4" and Elvis Presley need to get with the times. 4th v 11th so it's not even a missed big grand final. Every Grand Final fills out to 100k seat wise

Ah Benny you are a laugh, that Roy Morgan poll is hilarious they poll 14k people in places unknown with questions unknown and come up with the Swans having millions of supporters, classic.

Where were all those 550k Cats supporters on Friday?

Its not the coach

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
In terms of hype in grand final week, this is THE biggest fish that got away. In terms of the match itself as a spectacle, who knows but my gut feel is that Collingwood would have been the better choice. I hope I'm wrong but I think GWS may be a bit overawed by the occasion like the Crows were 2 years ago. At least this year there can be no complaints about an MCG grands final and Richmond, unlike 2 years ago when the Crows by rights deserved home ground advantage.
I reckon GWS will benefit from having already been there and succeeded in the I preliminary final. They will also get alot more support from the nuetrals in the GF and have a couple of pretty good players returning.

Steven Gerrard

Club Legend
May 27, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Melbourn Victory, 49ers
Sigh, only the other mob in town could have the audacity to complain about an MCG Grand Final which apparently wasn't an issue in 1997 or 1998.

They earned two home finals by finishing Top 2 (1st). They got what they deserved.

Should we have played Geelong at Kardinia Park for the 2007 Grand Final? Yeah, exactly.

Forget who the teams are for one second and look at this manipulated, contrived league for what it is....manipulated and contrived. In any other competition in the world except for the NRL, the 2017 grand final would have been played in Adelaide or at a nuetral venue, not at the ground where the lower ranked qualifier played 80% of its matches in that season. And this doesn't excuse or justify where Geelong should or should not play.

TigerBoy1999

Rookie
Nov 15, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond

If you're using a graph that has paying members the same level as someone that never watches but "supports" them, then I don't know what to say.

Coach_Required

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool & Boston Celtics
I dont think Collingwood fans could have handled losing another Grand Final to us especially after knocking us out in last year's prelim.

It would have done them in I reckon 😄

Royce Hafey

Premiership Player
Mar 6, 2013
Point Cook
AFL Club
Richmond
It's not about numbers, it's about hysteria. Richmond & Collingwood boast heaving hordes of deluded nutcases who are constantly one bad umpiring call away from burning down a stadium.

Sydney may have 1.2M supporters in principle, but most of them would celebrate the Grand Final by accidentally discovering the result on their phones the next day.
This. I grew up in Canberra in the '60s and '70s. My parents were from NSW and my dad was a mad supporter of St George. Match of the day from the VFL was played as well as the equivalent from Sydney every weekend, so my older brother chose Richmond as the team to follow. I would have answered any survey as saying I was a Richmond supporter and yet my only memory of the 1974 GF is of noticing with pleasure a news report that the Tigers had won. It was only after my parents divorced and my Mum moved to Melbourne (in 1978) that things changed. Though it took a while - even though she actually rented a house in Rowena Parade Richmond for that year! The 1980 season won me to footy. Today I "support" the Storm in much the same manner and Liverpool. Couldn't be buggered watching a match. but pleased to hear if the win.

BruceTempany14

Calling out Geelong supporters
Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Collingwood vs Richmond is as interesting to me as Port Adelaide vs Fremantle.

This Grand Final matchup is as fantastic as any other. Hope the Giants get up and win their first.

Thanks Norf for your exciting contributions to the excitement of AFL
Norf v Freo or gold coast , there’s a couple of stadium fillers ....

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

BruceTempany14

Calling out Geelong supporters
Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Probably the most useless chart I've seen. How is a "supporter" even measured?

Yes , thus fine survey was actually commissioned by Roy Morgan . The same organisation that got the last federal election outcome so right .....

Thanks Norf for your exciting contributions to the excitement of AFL
Norf v Freo or gold coast , there’s a couple of stadium fillers ....

Thanks Thin-Skinned-Richmond-Supporter-#3956 for your meaningful contribution to this thread.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
In terms of hype and tradition it’s right up there but Collingwood are nothing special and while they are the best side going around, Richmond to me aren’t as complete as some of the other dominant teams of recent years so as far as absolute powerhouse teams go, I don’t think it ranks that high.

North and West Coast in the 90s for example were both amazing teams. I don’t think the pies and Richmond are in that company. Tigers still have a chance to make a case that they are, though.

Back