Where does Richmond v Collingwood rank among the great 'missed' Grand Finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

How do you feel about things now? :)
I feel relief for Collingwood, and my car. If Collingwood were playing they would give 119 a shake and my car parked on the street near Vic park will have several broken windows.

I feel relief for Collingwood, and my car. If Collingwood were playing they would give 119 a shake and my car parked on the street near Vic park will have several broken windows.

lol possibly, but personally I reckon we would have given them a run for their money. GWS were basically witches hats. Richmond probably would have beaten us but i don't think we would have been flogged.

I think 119 will never be beaten, ever. Port just did a port. :)

lol possibly, but personally I reckon we would have given them a run for their money. GWS were basically witches hats. Richmond probably would have beaten us but i don't think we would have been flogged.

I think 119 will never be beaten, ever. Port just did a port. :)

If Richmond has been more accurate (they got a few out in the full) as well as Castagna kicking 0.5, they would have had a chance. It’s inevitable that it will be broken eventually.

If Richmond has been more accurate (they got a few out in the full) as well as Castagna kicking 0.5, they would have had a chance. It’s inevitable that it will be broken eventually.

Yeah I guess so eventually, but performances like GWS's yesterday are far and few between.

Last edited:
By a mile
Wouldn't have mattered who Carlton played on that day in 87 ( talking just about the other teams from that year) would have won it easily. Blues playing for DEs English and Peter Motley. Hawks and Dees demolished themselves in a grueling Prelim. Never been more confident watching a Carlton GF and we played in a few back in the day

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In Rugby League in the early 1990s, a Brisbane Broncos vs. Canberra Raiders Grand Final was an attractive prospect, and one that seemed inevitable given how strong both teams were at this time. But this Grand Final never happened, and decades later there has never been a Brisbane vs. Canberra premiership decider.

I agree that would have been a fantastic game

However around that era - i thought the 1991 GF between Canberra and Penrith was an excellent subsitute - and easily the best NRL GF i have ever seen - and plenty of hype because they clashed in the previous years GF

You look at the Raiders team -Daley Stuart Meninga Lazarus Bradley Clyde and Belcher at FB - thats half the Australian side

The Panthers - Brad Fittler Greg Alexander and the bad boy Mark Geyer

That game delivered and had the fairytale ending - little Roycie Simmons scoring the winner

Biggest build up up ive seen any GF any code was the 1988 GF Canterbury Bankstown v Balmain

Balmain had some famous supporters - Neville Wran was premier of NSW at the time - and Nifty Nev came out and said that the Tigers were going to splatter Canterbury - or words to that affect - lol

Adding to the spice - Warren Ryan the Balmain coach - he had previously coached Canterbury to back to back flags and then was controversially sacked - the hatred between the camps and the mudslinging in the the build up to the game was incredible stuff

Collingwood would've come within 5 goals at the very least. I still think we'd be premiers now if it didn't rain at all for the GWS game. We SUCK in the rain!!

Just look at earlier in the season when we played Richmond and thumped them by 44 points. Back then we had no Adams, but they had no Houli, teams were similar-ish aside from that.

Collingwood win Prelims not Grand Finals, you have about at 12.5% strike rate in Grand Finals in your last 60+ years.

Richmond would have thumped you

The finals series was worse because of it and to think all they had to do was beat Hawthorn at home..

Wasn't the Hawks game that killed it, it was the loss at home to Collingwood by 1 point that certainly doomed us.

Beat Collingwood and we still would have finished 4th if all the results stayed the same. Beat Collingwood and Hawthorn and we could have potentially finished 1st, certainly 2nd if the results stayed the same

I am definitely disappointed we missed the Ricmond-Collingwood GF.

Not because 'We would have killed them, LOL!' - I don't know. Collingwood have been a top side for the last 2 years - we've had good battles with them. They've got us a couple of times - we've got them.
The week build-up would have been awesome - the whole town would have really been jumping. What we had was a desperate attempt to build up the Giants in an effort to make the season look like it was coming to a great climax, when everyone KNEW the Giants were at the 'Just Happy To Be Here' stage (partly due to injuries, partly due to experience). It was fascinating watching the media move during the week from 'Giants are there, they have a shot if things go their way', to 'We actually think the Giants can win'. Some well-respected media judges (and Brad Johnson) actually picked the Giants to win. It was instructive that the betting odds hardly changed - despite the sentiment being driven by all the media build-up (the 'Big, Big Sound' stuff was great), whenever the Tiger's odds eased out a fraction, the smart money jumped straight on.

Game was over when Richmond kicked the first goal of the 2nd quarter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back