Analysis Where Does Rocky Sit Against The Leagues Best Mids?

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
At his best, Hanley. So crucial to our set up when on song.
I think Hanley and Rich are the two main candidates to cop a tag because they are so dangerous with Zorko becoming an option if he starts to dominate.

I think our most dangerous/damaging players(When they are at their best) in order:

Rich
Hanley
Zorko
Bundy

with DBeams and Rockliff different types(They do more of the inside, gritty work) however they are just as damaging as the above four in their own right with DBeams capable of kicking goals and delivering the ball inside 50 to a target and Rockliff able to set players like Hanley and Bundy up in dangerous positions and hit targets inside 50.

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Very.very focussed player.
Great kick and never gives up.
Will never rank with the the Vosses or Blacks but a very. very good player.
I disagree. If the team can evolve around him im sure he can be just as good as black. Rockliff stands out now in a s**t team (just like black in his last 5 years) so when the team gets better and more consistent rockliffs output will only improve.

Mar 27, 2006
Bribie Island
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket Team
I disagree. If the team can evolve around him im sure he can be just as good as black. Rockliff stands out now in a s**t team (just like black in his last 5 years) so when the team gets better and more consistent rockliffs output will only improve.
Hope he does.Deserves it.

Jman78

Team Captain
Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think Hanley and Rich are the two main candidates to cop a tag because they are so dangerous with Zorko becoming an option if he starts to dominate.

I think our most dangerous/damaging players(When they are at their best) in order:

Rich
Hanley
Zorko
Bundy

with DBeams and Rockliff different types(They do more of the inside, gritty work) however they are just as damaging as the above four in their own right with DBeams capable of kicking goals and delivering the ball inside 50 to a target and Rockliff able to set players like Hanley and Bundy up in dangerous positions and hit targets inside 50.
Yeah the thing with Rich is he can literally hit a dime with the Sherrin at 50 paces he's a freak... Hanley is a combo deal, runs and kicks beautifully, but just short on the penetration that Rich gets but can use both sides. One we often forget is just how good Rocky is on the short entries into the 50, he is pretty quality and rarely misses with his weighted chip kicks these days.

Jman78

Team Captain
Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Ablett, Fyfe, Dangerfield out in front then a big bunch of players and he'd be in that
I dont know... i'd almost have JPK just ahead of the pack. Bont will end up there in a couple of years we all know that.

Kinda weird the Hawks dont have anyone in that group

lukiuslion

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Watching him on Saturday was a pleasure - there was that one play with about 5 dogs around him and he looked to make time slow down, fake and twist and dispose beautifully of the ball. At times he just looked like a very, very good player yesterday - love our skipper, where does he rate? He would get a walk up start in any midfield in the league.

May 21, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If Beams, Rocky, Rich, Hanley, Alan all on field at once who do they tag. Also Reddo and Robbo #1, 2
Agreeing with others, I don't think you tag Rocky. The thing is, even if tagged Rocky can still be incredibly effective. It generally won't effect his inside work and he will probably still lay 6-14 tackles. Tagging a Zorko, Rich or Hanley I think is probably more effective because I tag restricts the output of those three more than it would Rocky.

Kevvo

Premium Platinum
Oct 17, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Considering the load Rocky has to carry, both on field and off, I'd say he's in the 5 to 10 group for mine.

Does everything to a very high standard, but lacks that real special something, the top few mids have, Fyfe contested/aerial game, Abletts freakish skill, Dangers explosive pace etc

Off the top of my head, Id have Ablett, Fyfe, Danger, Pendles, Selwood ahead of him, then he'd be there with a bunch of other mids, around that 6-15 mark.

He can get a lot of cheap stats (why opposition may say he doesn't hurt as much) but he moves the game forward for us, and works as hard as anyone to get into those possession to recieve. Took some people a lot of time, to come around to how good Swanny was, with his high possessions, and I think Rockliffs going through the same, with getting external recognition.

Back