Where does Sangakkara rank among the modern day greats?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not international cricket, but his run in England this summer is something else.

50-over cricket: 8 innings, 2 100's and 3 50's, 515 runs at 85.
First class cricket: 11 innings, 6 100's and 2 50's, 1086 runs at 108.6.

With 180* in the current county match, his last 10 trips to the crease in both formats have yielded 1046 at 130.75 (2 not outs) including 6 centuries (4 in a row at one stage, with an 84 going for 5 in a row). Only taking into account first class matches he did score centuries in five consecutive innings (the 84 already mentioned was for 6 consecutive first class centuries).

Was fortunate enough to get to day one of the derby between Middlesex and Surrey at Lords where he scored a beautiful century. Was poetry (typical Sanga) once he got to about 30.

He's been on the international scene for long enough so it was probably mentally time to checkout, but there is no doubt he could've played another 2-3 years of test cricket. His bank balance is probably better off playing county cricket for Surrey then international cricket for Sri Lanka. Hopefully I can get down to The Oval for a county match before the season ends and he hangs up the boots for good.

View attachment 387209 View attachment 387211

Great post was actually also thinking of making note of his staggering run after seeing the scores from their first innings. There were some highlights of his latest knock that I saw somewhere, think off twitter - would have to be the most aesthetic batsman I have ever seen.

It's hard to quite get a read on him because he simply hasn't played THAT much cricket in the places that traditionally challenge subcontinental batsmen the most. Suffice to say he could do it everywhere though.

I guess the nature of being a test cricketer from the subcontinent meas you're going to play the vast majority of your international career there - Home games (50%) plus 3 of 9 opponents are from there. Magnified for Sri Lankan, Pakistani and Bangladeshi cricketers as India is the only one that gets regular away tours.

It's a massive shame Kumar only played 5 tests in Australia compared to his subcontinental contemporaries Dravid (16) and Sachin (20).

I'd probably put him on the same 'tier' as guys like Damien Martyn, Matthew Hayden and Mohammad Yousuf. Ahead of the pack, but behind the big three (Ponting, Lara and Tendulkar).

Scored 164 for Surrey yesterday. He now has 1250 runs at 113.63 this English season. Could possibly bat again in the second innings, and with two more games remaining he is challenging Bradman's record season average in England of 115.66 in 1938.
How many not out does he need to do that?

How many not out does he need to do that?

That depends on how many runs he makes. If he scores 139 in his next innings, but is dismissed, he will be a fraction ahead of Bradman's average. If he scores 23 in his next innings, and does remain not out, he will also be ahead of Bradman. Sangakkara could play 3 more innings before the season finishes, or maybe 4, or maybe 5. It's just something us stats nerds will have to keep an eye on.

That depends on how many runs he makes. If he scores 139 in his next innings, but is dismissed, he will be a fraction ahead of Bradman's average. If he scores 23 in his next innings, and does remain not out, he will also be ahead of Bradman. Sangakkara could play 3 more innings before the season finishes, or maybe 4, or maybe 5. It's just something us stats nerds will have to keep an eye on.
Wait, there's still 2 games left after this? Christ, I just assumed that it was the last or second last.

I'd probably put him on the same 'tier' as guys like Damien Martyn, Matthew Hayden and Mohammad Yousuf. Ahead of the pack, but behind the big three (Ponting, Lara and Tendulkar).

LOL, someone has lost the plot.

BTW, the "big three" is actually the big four. Although the conversation about the best of the modern era typically revolves around Lara and Tendulkar, IMO Kallis was better than both of them. He wasn't as flashy nor entertaining as Lara and Tendulkar, but he was more consistent and reliable of a batsman.

Last edited:

BTW, the "big three" is actually the big four. Although the conversation about the best of the modern era typically revolves around Lara and Tendulkar, IMO Kallis was better than both of them. He wasn't as flashy nor entertaining as Lara and Tendulkar, but he was more consistent and reliable of a batsman.

It's an interesting one, cause you could kinda bracket Kallis, Dravid and Chanderpaul in the same category.

As far as Sangakkara goes, his strokeplay would be considered more in the vein of Ponting, Lara and Tendulkar.

Personally, I'd be more inclined to place Sanga in a 'big four' before placing Kallis, but can see your logic in placing him there.

It's an interesting one, cause you could kinda bracket Kallis, Dravid and Chanderpaul in the same category.

As far as Sangakkara goes, his strokeplay would be considered more in the vein of Ponting, Lara and Tendulkar.

Personally, I'd be more inclined to place Sanga in a 'big four' before placing Kallis, but can see your logic in placing him there.

The "big four" is actually a term I've heard used by commentators in reference to lara, tendulkar, kallis, and ponting. What these 4 players from the same era have in common is that they all scored over 10,000 test runs with 30+ centuries at an average of over 50.

Obviously there's more batsmen now who've achieved this feat, such as dravid, chanderpaul, khan, and of course sangakkara...but do these guys belong in the same category as the previous 4? If not, then why? My guess is that for most people there's something else that separates the "big four" from the other players I mentioned, despite them all having achieved the same major milestones. I don't know what that "something else" is but maybe it has something to do with their natural flair or strokemaking ability. Maybe we could refer to the "big five" to include sangakkara in the same category as lara/tendulkar/kallis/ponting.

One thing's for sure, damien martyn (who didn't even make 5000 test runs) sure as s**t isn't in the same tier as sangakkara, as suggested in post #30. ROFL

He really is finishing off in style - another 119* to add to the list!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

then there is Dravid, and Cook. Sanga is above Chanderpaul , is he ahead of Dravid yeah he did not play as many innings in Eng/SA and Aus. Cook is not finished yet.

He was dismissed for 35 in Surrey's second innings as they chased 143 for victory. His average dips down to 110.92 with one game to play.

Modern Day Greats in batting to me (who are retired)

Lara, Tendulkar, Ponting, Sangakkara, Kallis, Dravid, Hayden, Gilchrist, S Waugh, Chanderpaul, Mohammad Yousuf, Graeme Smith, Misbah-ul-Haq, Younus Khan, and Jayawardene

So yeah he is a modern day great. Even if he played against minnow teams, he is gunning it in England and he was a beast in the WC.

Uh-oh. He was dismissed for 14 in Surrey's first innings, dropping his average down to 104.00. He will need to score 280 in Surrey's second innings to overtake Bradman's 1938 record average, or remain not out on at least 164. He would need to score at least 44 to keep an average of 100.

Sanga made just 35 in Surrey's second innings, but he was not out so that boosts his final season average to 106.50. Had he been dismissed on 35 his average would have been 99.40.

Also to add. When Ricky Ponting did his All time XI, he did put Sangakkara as captain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back