Where does Steve Smith rate?

Remove this Banner Ad

Tyberious Funk

Premiership Player
May 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
I know it's probably been discussed before, but...

1. Highest batting average after Bradman
2. Just scored his 29th hundred - only Ponting (42), Waugh (32) and Hayden (30) are ahead of him
3. 6th on the All Time runs scored for Australia -- behind Ponting, Border, Waugh, Clarke and Hayden
4. Not just a home-track bully either... his away record is almost as good as his home record

The only quality that puts him behind Ponting, Border and Waugh is longevity. Those guys played more than 150 Tests, and their respective records dipped away somewhat by the end. But compared to, say, Chappell or Harvey who are both regularly regarded as "greats", Smith has them covered.

Does he make the All Time Australia XI?

Take your pick of openers. Then, assuming Bradman would make 3 and Miller is 6... IMHO, Ponting is probably 4. That leaves Border, Waugh, Chappell, Harvey and Smith battling for the last middle order spot.

Does Smith make it?

I know it's probably been discussed before, but...

1. Highest batting average after Bradman
2. Just scored his 29th hundred - only Ponting (42), Waugh (32) and Hayden (30) are ahead of him
3. 6th on the All Time runs scored for Australia -- behind Ponting, Border, Waugh, Clarke and Hayden
4. Not just a home-track bully either... his away record is almost as good as his home record

The only quality that puts him behind Ponting, Border and Waugh is longevity. Those guys played more than 150 Tests, and their respective records dipped away somewhat by the end. But compared to, say, Chappell or Harvey who are both regularly regarded as "greats", Smith has them covered.

Does he make the All Time Australia XI?

Take your pick of openers. Then, assuming Bradman would make 3 and Miller is 6... IMHO, Ponting is probably 4. That leaves Border, Waugh, Chappell, Harvey and Smith battling for the last middle order spot.

Does Smith make it?
Yes, he will end up second to Bradman with his average and probably second to Punter for test 100s

1 Simpson
2 Hayden
3 Bradman
4 Ponting
5 Smith
6 Gilchrist
7 Miller
8 Warne
9 Cummins
10 Lillie
11 McGrath

Surely Border is in the best Australian XI, he was one of the few batsmen in the world that made tons regularly against the West Indies back then.

I know he never opened but I would have him ahead of Hayden who was mostly a flat track bully that was found out against high quality bowling.

Not only is he second to Bradman for Australia, he’s probably close to second to Bradman all time.

His away record is simply as good as it gets, which is the true marker for batsman.

His record in England especially is unbelievable, with another series coming up next year.

He will probably end up with 2000+ runs in England alone…

Surely Border is in the best Australian XI, he was one of the few batsmen in the world that made tons regularly against the West Indies back then.

I know he never opened but I would have him ahead of Hayden who was mostly a flat track bully that was found out against high quality bowling.
Hayden had one of the all time great series in India. 200 then a 90 and a 100 in 3 tests. Probably the hardest place to go bat. Made 1,600 runs at 50 in the subcontinent all against quality attacks.

It is probably Border v Miller. Miller’s FC numbers are out of this world but obviously with the war and then the famous falling out with Bradman didn’t get to enjoy as long as he should at the top level

Not only is he second to Bradman for Australia, he’s probably close to second to Bradman all time.

His away record is simply as good as it gets, which is the true marker for batsman.

His record in England especially is unbelievable, with another series coming up next year.

He will probably end up with 2000+ runs in England alone…
Yeah Smith has got the job done in England and India not many can say that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s in the discussion.

I love numbers and I love context applied to them, and I’m a slave to the eye test as well.

I’d have him in the all time ‘team I’ve watched’ comfortably and his case is very very watertight to be in the top handful of all time.

I personally from watching dont think he has the game of an AB De Villiers or Lara who I believe had the most versatility of any players I’ve ever seen but in saying that he’s also not a Kallis who had the game to play every sort of innings possible but tended to limit himself a bit. Smith can graft and can score at pace and can score all around the wicket. He’s probably not going to just obliterate a team but he has no trouble moving the scoreboard. He can play all types of bowling.

I have no affection for the guy but he’s a colossus.

He’s in the discussion.

I love numbers and I love context applied to them, and I’m a slave to the eye test as well.

I’d have him in the all time ‘team I’ve watched’ comfortably and his case is very very watertight to be in the top handful of all time.

I personally from watching dont think he has the game of an AB De Villiers or Lara who I believe had the most versatility of any players I’ve ever seen but in saying that he’s also not a Kallis who had the game to play every sort of innings possible but tended to limit himself a bit. Smith can graft and can score at pace and can score all around the wicket. He’s probably not going to just obliterate a team but he has no trouble moving the scoreboard. He can play all types of bowling.

I have no affection for the guy but he’s a colossus.
Far better test batsmen than AB. DeVilliers was one of my favourites to watch and I would rather watch him than Smith but Smith gets the job done more often than AB

Far better test batsmen than AB. DeVilliers was one of my favourites to watch and I would rather watch him than Smith but Smith gets the job done more often than AB

I think you’re underselling AB. He batted to the situation better than anyone ever gives him credit for.

Twice batted for 200-400 balls for next to 0 runs to try and save matches. Alternatively came out in his first match after a temporary retirement on an absolute billiard table pitch against India with his team 4-nothing and smashes 80 at a run a ball to ultimately set up a win, alternatively again he can play his first test in australia and smack a century to lead his team to victory chasing 400.

Sheer weight of runs means he’s not quite in the conversation with other players but if ever a player is not bound to or defined by his numbers (which are still exceptional anyway) but by his adaptability and versatility it is him

Only two batters in all of test cricket have scored more than 8,000 runs in fewer than 100 tests: Steve Smith and Sir Garfield Sobers.

I think he's in, tbh.

Simpson
Ponsford
Bradman
Smith
Border
Ponting

Feels weird having Ponting at 6 but he has to be in the side but can't be at three. Simpson and Ponsford have the two highest batting averages for openers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back