Opinion Where has the club gone wrong?

Remove this Banner Ad

This isn't new news. All assistants were told at the end of July if they would have a contract for 2017. This is why Sumich and Monty have moved on as well as Hocking.
mmmm...well now, we were effectively out of finals June 18th v Freo so our trending then has continued
therefore these decisions, if they were accurate then, they are now. But who to come in?

I think things have gone wrong on nearly every level for the club recently.

Just look at our coaching structure.

Initially Ken came in and he drove the standards at training and gameday. He tore into the players for leaving empty toilet rolls around the place, because it meant they weren't maintaining the right standards off the field. He tore into them after a narrow loss in a final to Geelong at a time I bet many of them thought they were about to get a pat on the back, and reminded them they may never get a chance to play finals again.

But now Ken was on record early this year stating he often takes a back seat in training, and is less hands on/involved in one-on-one training compared to his first year. This was sold as a by product of time, but I think it shows more into the change in our coaching structure, and is a massive part of the malaise affecting our club.

In 2013 we had Richardson in the director of coaching role. He essentially had an overall strategic role - in terms of game plan, opposition analysis and helping the individual coaches. Richardson goes, we bring in Hart, then Walsh (importantly at the expense of an actual ruck coach), and both cover the role (very well, it must be said). Then we lose Walsh. Suddenly Hart is supposedly in a coaching development role, but who takes up that extra slack the absence of Walsh/Richardson creates? We bring in Voss. Now, the only positive press I've ever heard about Voss coming out of Alberton essentially falls under player development - ie a few players he's worked with 1-on-1 he's helped develop. Hardly covering the same role of his predecessors.

I think Hinkley is now probably taking on some of the void they've left, is now taking too much of a back seat at training, and the standard has dropped. So now the senior coach is less involved, trying to be more strategic, we've no longer got a proper full time ruck coach (remember under Rehn all our ruck options were actually improving - shock horror), we have Voss who is a mixed influence at best, Hart in the most mysterious role, and a forward line coached by a defensive coach. The players are no longer playing with that same manic intent, that same drive we saw in 2013/14, and are clearly devoid of confidence, and morale on field is low. Coupled with this, with a few players especially we clearly changed our fitness plan. Suddenly after trimming slightly down, Wines gains bulk and suddenly looks slow, Boak playing through an injury all year, a waft of soft tissue injuries after dealing with them so well for 2-3 years.

I still think Ken is a good coach, but we need him back in that role, and we need him to recapture the standards that drove us back then. Even if you want him gone, we're more than likely going to give him another year, so get him back to the role he can actually do well, and get the proper support around him.

In my mind, Hinkley has without question got the personality and wealth of experience we need to turn this around. The impressive leader we visibly saw in 2013 & 2014 is still there. There is nobody better qualified out there to get us out of this hole we have dug ourselves in.

But he needs to (quickly) first get the ball rolling by acknowledging that things are genuinely tracking in the wrong direction rather than a temporary slip in standards. Admitting that there's been a **** up is the hard part for any coach to do and is frequently the undoing of excellent individuals. Freshen up the coaching staff, force the players to impress their new bosses or fall behind in the pecking order (rather than continue to stagnate through stability) and change up the approach to pre-season to get that hunger back.

Yes, we need to cycle through the list changes again, however I think that the ability is predominantly there within the group it just needs to be introduced to some healthy insecurity.

"The only way forward is to stay positive, stay together and to improve.

"I don't think any year is wasted if you learn from what goes on," he said.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2016-08-15/boak-power-must-learn-from-2016

These two comments from Boak illustrate exactly what is wrong with the mindset at this football club.
Yup. Same goes for the response to Koshie's criticisms. I believe he said they were disappointed? I reckon most of us wanted see some form of internalization and ownership and hear something like "We deserve it. We've played crap." The response about the year being wasted is pretty typical. Obviously we learned a lot, some good, a lot bad. But I believe you have to see the last two years as wasted opportunities. If you believe in the list then you have to say that. The whole "brush things off" attitude works when you've lost a couple of close ones and it's a bit of a stumble and a let's keep our heads up type thing but it looks like ignorance when it comes at the end of two horrible seasons of going backwards. Fair enough, we got hit by the injury and suspension stick this year, but great teams own their performances.

In my mind, Hinkley has without question got the personality and wealth of experience we need to turn this around. The impressive leader we visibly saw in 2013 & 2014 is still there. There is nobody better qualified out there to get us out of this hole we have dug ourselves in.

But he needs to (quickly) first get the ball rolling by acknowledging that things are genuinely tracking in the wrong direction rather than a temporary slip in standards. Admitting that there's been a **** up is the hard part for any coach to do and is frequently the undoing of excellent individuals. Freshen up the coaching staff, force the players to impress their new bosses or fall behind in the pecking order (rather than continue to stagnate through stability) and change up the approach to pre-season to get that hunger back.

Yes, we need to cycle through the list changes again, however I think that the ability is predominantly there within the group it just needs to be introduced to some healthy insecurity.
Yes agree with the insecurity bit . Years ago and some players to an extent now really had pride in their performance , didn't matter what kind of money you were on you didn't want to cop it of the Alberton faithfull , nowadays for some the only thing that worries them is not getting a contract extension , play well for the last 6 games of the season and all will be o'k' , well under the last part of Choco's tenure and the current coach it seems to work !.

matthew Richardson

You may have listened but you certainly didn't act upon much.

You went for the spin perception pathway once more and all up apart from a couple of kids that injected a little energy not much has changed at all.

Don't treat people like fools thinking just saying stuff is enough.

Actions not words.

matthew Richardson

You may have listened but you certainly didn't act upon much.

You went for the spin perception pathway once more and all up apart from a couple of kids that injected a little energy not much has changed at all.

Don't treat people like fools thinking just saying stuff is enough.

Actions not words.

The fact he is engaging at all seems the squeaky wheel is getting some oil....

If head honchos are asking why (once) committed members of this amazing football club are not renewing, and are literally scratching their heads (hair or not) as to why, then this goes much further down the rabbit hole than we all actually realise.
We dont give an actual * about a single one of those clubs listed in that drool. We getting bullied in the school yard or something? * me dead. We were flogging those * up teams when we actually played Port Adelaide footy.

That email from Richardson smacks of desperation, if the club continues to have Barry Crocker seasons under kern I suspect he will need to get used to a continual drop off in membership renewals, and what has happened so far may only be the thin edge of the wedge.

As LR has suggested, we aren't the PAFC anymore and have become just another mediocre McFranchise.

Here is your chance people! For the love of God unleash hell my brethren.

Wow, the co-captains decision has cut deep for so many.

It really has damaged the brand. Complete disaster that was entirely self-inflicted.

How on earth a single captain wearing #1 was viewed as an impediment to on-field success is beyond me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha just saw that.
The disconnect is oh so real.
And they legit have nfi why fans are pissed off.
This from the same dumbass who bragged about the Liverpool vid.
Because metrics and s**t.
F@%king clownshoes...

It really has damaged the brand. Complete disaster that was entirely self-inflicted.

How on earth a single captain wearing #1 was viewed as an impediment to on-field success is beyond me.

Yep. Co-captains was a monumental * up and it's a decision they can't revoke.

Apparently 2500 full members down on last year.

Ask the question when people are limited to 280 character replies. Yeah we wanna hear it so bad. This has really really irritated me. They send out a members survey which would be full of answers but because we did the "right" thing and renewed for the club's survival it has clearly been ignored but hey don't renew and suddenly we want to hear.

Anyone whoever said that not renewing achieves nothing meet Matthew Richardson. Clearly once they have our money you go into a ignore bucket.

Yep. Co-captains was a monumental **** up and it's a decision they can't revoke.

Apparently 2500 full members down on last year.
"I just don't understand why they are upset about it? #WeAreAFLSATeamB"

Yeah this is making things worse.

1004762_1.jpg

“We are listening ... !”

Yeah. And when you hear it you sack the messenger.

Explain the mixed message.

We are listening.

Yeah this is making things worse.

Who the * is this Craig Matthews campaigner and why does he think he's speaking for the Port Adelaide supporter base?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back