Opinion Where has the club gone wrong?

Who the **** is this Craig Matthews campaigner and why does he think he's speaking for the Port Adelaide supporter base?
Are you anti-Prison Bars, and pro-Ken and co-captains?

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Wow, the co-captains decision has cut deep for so many.

It really has damaged the brand. Complete disaster that was entirely self-inflicted.

How on earth a single captain wearing #1 was viewed as an impediment to on-field success is beyond me.

Its changing history for the sake of changing history.

They added the community proud bs to "we exist to win premierships"

They seem driven to remove us much Port Adelaide history as possible and wonder why the supporter base is the way it is.

Yep. Co-captains was a monumental **** up and it's a decision they can't revoke.

Apparently 2500 full members down on last year.

Honestly that's a positive. I was thinking double that would drop off after 2018 and Ken having 3 years left. Most would have signed on by the time co-captains was announced.

Are you anti-Prison Bars, and pro-Ken and co-captains?

I don't like anyone definitively speaking for the supporter base. Just tell them why you didn't renew.

Ilias M

Club Legend
Mar 22, 2015
Port Adelaide, Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
06DF7D38-9517-4449-A697-B3DC6A0609D6.jpeg

It’s getting nuts!!

Not sure what Richardson on about 🙄 Members keep the club alive not Ken Hinkley. His contract extension was a disgrace, no finals win 4 years and extended

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
View attachment 655450

It’s getting nuts!!

Not sure what Richardson on about 🙄 Members keep the club alive not Ken Hinkley. His contract extension was a disgrace, no finals win 4 years and extended

Someone needs to remind this clown we will be around long after he and Ken Hinkley are sacked.

We are the Port Adelaide football club, s**t on your members, deliver this BS and under achieving and this is what happens.

Paul Roos called us the biggest under achievers in the comp, and he is right. Time for them to all pull their heads out of their asses.

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
This isn't super relevant to the thread itself, but I'm not gonna lie at this point I've lost faith in all of the club.
I love Port Adelaide don't get me wrong, but throughout my time overlooking the club, I haven't seen a whole lot happen. No premiership, no Brownlow, no Coleman, no SANFL premiership, no grand final, anything that makes our club exciting has been outdone by other clubs right now.
But I have to admit if it wasn't for this stagnation in the clubs success, I don't think I ever would've opened up to football as much as I have.
There is a lot I've learned from other clubs around the league, and I find it more entertaining to watch their games as I don't have that fear of outcome that I did for Port, but now I simply have no real fear at all.
I think the biggest problem with Ken is that while he's a fine coach at the end of the day, nothing makes him special.
There just isn't anything special about Ken to drive the club forward, he is very basic, and I don't hate him for that but I don't think he will accomplish much as a senior coach.
Right now this is not the Port Adelaide I love, and I don't think we'll ever see that Port Adelaide ever again, but I could be wrong. I don't want to sound like a phycologist, but I highly recommend watching some different teams to earn the freedom of watching football without the fear of outcome.

View attachment 655450

It’s getting nuts!!

The issue isn't whether the club is making decisions on membership polls, that would be disastrous in the long run. The issue is that the club leadership is making bad decisions and systematically dismantling the club's identity for no meaningful gain e.g. Ken's unnessecary 3 year extension, co-captains, "we exist to win premierships and do other stuff". This is all compounded by us losing games in the same disappointing fashion for 3 years straight and no end in sight.

I think KT and/or Koch should have opened this invitation and faced the music. I don't think Matt Richardson deserves it as he's not part of those decisions that have turned into the consistent failure on field.
He goes along with ‘those decisions’ as he’s not listened to in any case and he’s expected to toe the line regardless.

I have a lot of time for Richo. A helluva lot. He should never have been removed from China, instead should’ve been charged with recruiting, training and keeping an eye on his Core Business replacement.

But what do I know.

Not even close.

The only reason why Richardson is asking the members why they didn't renew is because it's 4 rounds into the season and they still aren't jumping on. He asked RussellEbertHandball before the season what his opinion on it was and the reply was that we needed to be 4-0.

We are 2-2 with two close losses, and I guess no one is jumping on. So they want to know why these people are staying away.

Personally, I wouldn't give two flying ****s about 11 game members who don't renew. They aren't supporters. The supporters are the people who have paid money and are still suffering through the same unresponsive garbage from a team that cannot handle any form of expectation.

The only recourse members have is to not renew, we don't have the voting power to spill the board. It's understandable why some aren't renewing.

I'm thinking the Richmond loss was quite bad for supporter sentiment, almost as bad as the GWS loss but this time the club can't do anything about it.

Not even close.

The only reason why Richardson is asking the members why they didn't renew is because it's 4 rounds into the season and they still aren't jumping on. He asked RussellEbertHandball before the season what his opinion on it was and the reply was that we needed to be 4-0.

We are 2-2 with two close losses, and I guess no one is jumping on. So they want to know why these people are staying away.

Personally, I wouldn't give two flying ****s about 11 game members who don't renew. They aren't supporters. The supporters are the people who have paid money and are still suffering through the same unresponsive garbage from a team that cannot handle any form of expectation.
Examine those ‘two close losses’ after, both times, being in front at the clutch point of the match.

We lost both. The senior coach stayed squat on his saggy arse up in his ivory tower ... refused to put himself where he ought to be: in the front line on the bench ... and we lost ... twice ... again again.

Nothing has changed ... nothing will change ... ever ... not with this dinosaur in charge on game day.

Bring on the meteor strike.

I dont know what richo was expecting lol. He's making it a fair bit worse.
He feels he’s being seen by his superiors to be trying to do his job. Trouble is, trying ain’t near good enough.

Alyx

Unbelievably Disconnected
Feb 17, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Tell us what we are doing wrong. We are listening to you, and are ready to learn from our mistakes.

Alright. For a start, the club appears to be ignoring the wishes of its sup-

What the f**k did you just f**king suggest to us, you little bitch? I'll have you know we have 36 premierships in the SANFL, and we've been involved in numerous finals at AFL level, and have over 50,000 confirmed members. You are nothing to us but just another hater. We will piss you the f**k off with incompetence the likes of which has never been seen before in this competition, mark my f**king words. You think you can get away with suggesting that s**t to us over the Internet? Think again, f**ker. As we speak I am contacting David Koch and your seat number is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your membership. You're f**king finished, kid. Not only are we extensively trained in working hardery for longery, but we have access to the entire arsenal of the Port Adelaide Magpies, you little s**t. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" feedback was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your f**king tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. We will s**t all over your faith and you will drown in it. You're f**king finished with this club, kiddo.

MrMeaner

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I haven’t been a member for some time, so I am not the kind of person Richardson would want an answer from. But the way the club went about both the Wingard trade and the co-captains thing was very similar. There was a PR-style campaign to soften up supporters before the inevitable decision that would piss us off.

Richardson’s thing on Twitter seems to be more PR, rather than actual engagement. He is quote-tweeting every response with a defensive justification. There is no actual engagement with the issues. There is no evidence he is trying to understand.

Basically, the club needs to treat supporters and members as the intelligent football watchers they are. Stop feeding us bullshit and telling us it will be tasty.

Getting rid of Koch and Ken would make me pony up too but I can’t speak for everyone.

Back