Home & Garden Where is downtown?

Remove this Banner Ad

Downtown is the city's CBD. I think uptown is more of a US expression. I don't hear it much. But if Melbourne has an uptown I would think it would be Carlton/Lygon St.

The phrase 'downtown' was coined in NYC, where the original settlement (and thus main CBD) was located on the southernmost tip of Manhattan Island (Lower Manhattan), and newer settlement/suburbs were further north, or 'uptown' (Upper Manhattan). "Down" and "Up" therefore referred to the traditional directions of North and South on a map.

The expression 'downtown' is now a more general expression for referring to the main hub/CBD, and has lost pretty much all of its geographical meaning - even in NYC the 'downtown' area now incorporates more than just Lower Manhattan, and Staten Island / Brooklyn are further south still.

A lot of US cities have districts actually named Uptown (Chicago is the most notable) although they're not always on the north side of the city.

• Banned
Downtown is also where TV cops take hookers and other low life riff raff to get charged. I think the Perth Cops even took Cuzzy downtown to book him.

Interesting these terms were coined in NYC. So were SoHo and NoHo. SoHo meaning "SOuth of some street starting with HO (I think it's Houston St) and NoHo being NOrth of HOuston"

Also, the area Tribeca down near Wall St stands for TRIangle BElow CAnal St

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure "Soho" is pre-17th century London.

16th century, it was apart of the grounds of Whitehall till it began to be slowly urbanised.

The phrase 'downtown' was coined in NYC, where the original settlement (and thus main CBD) was located on the southernmost tip of Manhattan Island (Lower Manhattan), and newer settlement/suburbs were further north, or 'uptown' (Upper Manhattan). "Down" and "Up" therefore referred to the traditional directions of North and South on a map.

The expression 'downtown' is now a more general expression for referring to the main hub/CBD, and has lost pretty much all of its geographical meaning - even in NYC the 'downtown' area now incorporates more than just Lower Manhattan, and Staten Island / Brooklyn are further south still.

A lot of US cities have districts actually named Uptown (Chicago is the most notable) although they're not always on the north side of the city.

As a regular visitor to NYC, I agree with most of this. I havent heard of Staten Island etc referred to as Downtown before?

Manhatten Island is divided into 3 parts, Downtown, Midtown and Uptown. The island is also divided into East and West side. The city streets are a grid, so the street could be either West 48th Street or East 48 Street depending on your location. 5th Ave divides the island from east to west.

The Downtown area covers the Financial District (Wall Street), Chinatown, Little Italy, the artsy Meatpacking District etc. The Twin Towers were in Downtown.

The Midtown area is the home of the skyscraper. Empire State and Chrysler Buildings are here. Big commercial district which has Broadway, Times Square and Rockefeller Centre. 5th Ave has all the fancy designer stores.

The Uptown area is a mixed bag. It has the luxurious Upper East side, and the lower class Harlem district. Lots of universitys in this district too.

manhattan-map.jpg

As a regular visitor to NYC, I agree with most of this. I havent heard of Staten Island etc referred to as Downtown before?
Sorry, I don't mean that Staten Island (or Brooklyn) is referred to as downtown. Rather that it is further south than Lower Manhattan and isn't referred to as downtown (therefore, 'downtown' no longer refers to 'Southern NYC').

That should probably be a semicolon rather than a comma.

I remember being confused as hell on the Subway in New York. You'd get directions from the local Noo Yawkers to take the A train downtown then take the D train uptown etc etc.

I didn't have a clue which way downtown or uptown was, even more difficult when you're underground, I was constantly getting lost by going in the wrong direction. Almost ended up in the Bronx once getting on the wrong train, I knew something was wrong when everyone on the train was black and looked like they wanted to kill me. Got off very quickly at the next stop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back