Where is Essendon at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably an apt discussion having beaten minnows like GWS, Geelong, North Melbourne and Port Adelaide but then losing to the almight Carlton, Western Bulldogs and Fremantle.

Where exactly are we at as a football club?
Probably the 5th/6th best team in the league based on current form.

Where exactly are we at as a football club?

12th.

Was talking to my son last night during the 1st half, he was, like a lot of us I’m sure, frustrated that we were struggling against a side as bad as GC when we’re capable of beating GWS, Wet Toast etc. He thought the latter meant we are good enough that we should be easily capable of the former. I see the inconsistency as a sign that we are not a top side, but a middle of the road one that is capable of great footy on some days but not of bringing it on a regular basis.

When we can bring it on a regular basis then we will be a “great side”.

We're 2 games from 5th spot with a loss to Carlton. We've won 6 out of the last 8? We've beaten some of the top teams soundly. Injuries to top players. Midfield needs a bit of work but lets not sell ourselves short.

Long way from the tigers. But could see us potentially beating any other team. At the same time we havent really seen the team settle with a fully fit daniher on the park and probably wont for some time.

We’re a long way off it. If you want to compete for the flag you need to be top 4 and to be top 4 you need to put in a consistent season. We’ve never been able to do that and this year the season was shot by about round 8 due to s**t performances.

We’ve probably got the top line talent but it doesn’t mean much unless they can perform consistently for a whole season. Hird couldn’t do it, Bomber couldn’t do it, and Woosha hasn’t been able to as yet.

On form, I consider us 7 of the last 8 when accounting for the recent Collingwood game robbery. What does that mean in the context of the season, though? Not a whole lot. We’re still an unreliable prospect, carrying injuries, ongoing head-scratching selections and not good enough to beat the best teams when they’re really on. We’re middle of the road - exactly what the ladder says.

On form, I consider us 7 of the last 8 when accounting for the recent Collingwood game robbery. What does that mean in the context of the season, though? Not a whole lot. We’re still an unreliable prospect, carrying injuries, ongoing head-scratching selections and not good enough to beat the best teams when they’re really on. We’re middle of the road - exactly what the ladders says.
Robbery? Mate, maybe we got a tough run with the umps, however they lifted a gear in the last and we couldn't go with them, which is why they're in the top 4 and we're not.

They're a good side.

Is our midfield even our biggest problem anymore?

Robbery? Mate, maybe we got a tough run with the umps, however they lifted a gear in the last and we couldn't go with them, which is why they're in the top 4 and we're not.

They're a good side.
Bet you a kebab they don't make it past the second week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're a good side.

I appreciate our difference of opinion. I don’t want to derail this thread with a retort though.

Bet you a kebab they don't make it past the second week.
I don't bet against sure things ;). I honestly think they'll go out week 1.
Numbers say no. Heppell/Langford/Merrett/Myers/Smith as the core inside group have been a good combination (lifting us from 15th and 14th in clearance and CP differential after 8 rounds to 4th and 7th respectively now) along with Bellchambers generally getting a very high hit out to advantage rate.

No. Though it did miss the presence of Stringer.

We've had Jekyll and Hyde form all season. Thats been the major problem.
Won on the road 4/5 times.
Lost to Freo, Carlton and the Dogs from the bottom 6.
Beaten West Coast, Port, GWS and Geelong from the top 8 (North were technically top 8 at the time too).

I like our backline. And it can only get better with Gleeson, Francis, Redman and Ridley playing more
The midfield looked good once Langford starting playing more often and Stringer was winning the ball out of the middle. Heppell has been critical too.
TBC is in the form of his career.
Our forward line is a point of concern. Losing Joey and Fantasia hasn't helped. Stewart's form dip compounded this.

To be without Zaka, Daniher, Fantasia & Gleeson for long periods of the season has not helped
Our depth is starting to get tested.
You would think a premiership Essendon doesn't name McNiece, Brown, McKernan, Long and potentially even Dea, reliable as he is.
But when the alternatives are the 4 aforementioned plus Stringer, you have a far better 22.

You would think a premiership Essendon doesn't name McNiece, Brown, McKernan, Long and potentially even Dea, reliable as he is.
But when the alternatives are the 4 aforementioned plus Stringer, you have a far better 22.

All handy backups to be honest (maybe bar Long and Mcniece). If our list is not injured then i think our depth is pretty good.

All handy backups to be honest (maybe bar Long and Mcniece). If our list is not injured then i think our depth is pretty good.
Of course.
And that doesn't include the form and development of others
Ridley, Francis, Mutch, Redman, Begley, Laverde, Zerk (who im really liking of late), Clarke.
Ideally, in 12 months all these guys go past the handy depth players too.

Its really quite a good list when they all pull their finger out and muck in.
I was very harsh on Heppell early season, even questioned his captaincy.
It's good to see him turn it around. Has been Sloane-like in his attack on the ball and needs to set that as his standard.

It's probably the most talented list we have had in 15-years. But the side still contains a number of passengers, players who cannot play consistent footy, and those you would never trust in a final. At various points this season between one-quarter and one-third of our team has comprised of these players. Sometimes that has been due to injuries but on other occasions it simply reflects short-sighted selection policy. Essendon remains a great place to be if you are a middle-age player, borderline-AFL player, who has been in the system for a long time.

Missing Daniher, who by virtue of being hampered by injury has effectively missed the season, has hurt. We'd probably be in the finals if he was at his 2017 best. Other injuries have provided a reality check: how useful is Zaharakis, really? His numbers always look nice but his absence hasn't impacted us on field at all. If there is a good side that is willing to trade a first round pick I'd be tempted to trade Zaharakis.

Other injuries have provided a reality check: how useful is Zaharakis, really? His numbers always look nice but his absence hasn't impacted us on field at all. If there is a good side that is willing to trade a first round pick I'd be tempted to trade Zaharakis.
Glad someone had the balls to call this out tbh. Truth be told, I've been pondering this for the approx the last 24 months.

Love the guy and in no hurry to let the guy go - I do wonder what his trade value is worth though, considering we've been able to perform without him.

Just a thought.

Glad someone had the balls to call this out tbh. Truth be told, I've been pondering this for the approx the last 24 months.

Love the guy and in no hurry to let the guy go - I do wonder what his trade value is worth though, considering we've been able to perform without him.

Just a thought.
Nobody would pay the price we would want.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back