Where is Essendon at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Is our midfield even our biggest problem anymore?

I think so. The forward line has had issues this year but I think it’s been a case of injury. Daniher and Fantasia are our two best forwards and you could almost write off the season for both. If they’re firing then we look much better. I think Stringer has got better and clearly wasn’t fit at the start of the year either.

The best sides have high quality, deep midfields. We have Heppell and Merrett, and now Smith and a bunch of workhorses We still need to add and develop more.

Langford seems to be doing well, and it’s criminal how long it’s taken to give him a decent run in the senior side. We’ve cost him a year effectively with bullshit selection.

Laverde has stalled this year and basically not featured in the middle at all.

Parish stalled this year too, even before being injured, which is hugely disappointing.

Clarke, Guelfi and Mutch are projects who’ve produced more than expected, and McGrath has had a reasonable season, we really need him to build into a mid.

Myers and Zaka are known quantities who aren’t going to get better.

There’s still so many question marks. Langford and McGrath are the two big holes. Parish and Laverde are drifting.

Is our midfield even our biggest problem anymore?

It depends how far you want to go back.

The past 8 weeks of seriously committed football? 6 from 8, 4 wins interstate, and 2 losses to the top two teams on the ladder. All with our best forward absent and our second best forward in Raz in and out. We weren’t even that bad against Richmond, they were just absolutely clinical when we turned it over. Over that stretch our midfield has performed better than it has in years.

As it sits currently (with all things being equal) we are a better side than we were at the end last year, isn’t that what it’s all about?

I think so. The forward line has had issues this year but I think it’s been a case of injury. Daniher and Fantasia are our two best forwards and you could almost write off the season for both. If they’re firing then we look much better. I think Stringer has got better and clearly wasn’t fit at the start of the year either.

The best sides have high quality, deep midfields. We have Heppell and Merrett, and now Smith and a bunch of workhorses We still need to add and develop more.

Langford seems to be doing well, and it’s criminal how long it’s taken to give him a decent run in the senior side. We’ve cost him a year effectively with bullshit selection.

Laverde has stalled this year and basically not featured in the middle at all.

Parish stalled this year too, even before being injured, which is hugely disappointing.

Clarke, Guelfi and Mutch are projects who’ve produced more than expected, and McGrath has had a reasonable season, we really need him to build into a mid.

Myers and Zaka are known quantities who aren’t going to get better.

There’s still so many question marks. Langford and McGrath are the two big holes. Parish and Laverde are drifting.

McGrath doing well in his second year, plenty drop off a bit, be good if Parish can finish strongly & yeah maybe we were just expecting too much for both of Langford & Laverde to pay off but I think we've scored bigtime with Guelfi.

On Langford, different situations I know but the approach with Francis seems very similar, despite form keep holding them back. holding them back, very frustrating for fans but definitely seems to have worked with Langford so if that's what it takes with certain players, maybe we need to let Woosha do his thing with the younguns.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back