Where is Josh Cowan?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool
BuZ2JhcCEAIAtrl.jpg

He's alive!

Looks like he's been at a training camp in Afghanistan but alive nonetheless.

Thanks boobies!

He hasn't played for so long I'd forgotten what he looked like:D

Not a soothsayer Turbo. Just suggesting those who thought he wouldn't be part of the Cats going forward (ie 2015) appear to be wrong.

Just if Naysayers are people with pessimistic attitudes , I though you may have had positive thoughts on his future.
I think he is very lucky to be given another year , Simpson has height as his ace but Cowan is a late picked mid who so far has failed to stay fit for long. Everyone would agree there is a point where hard decisions have to be made , no one can be kept on a list , no mater how loyal you are to your players , if they are failing to meet the demands on footy. I hope he can get right , he has a nice inside and outside game...the little I have seen , but for every Cowan there will be a Schroder who has shown he can play and may yet be let go. AFL is no easy gig

Just if Naysayers are people with pessimistic attitudes , I though you may have had positive thoughts on his future.
I think he is very lucky to be given another year , Simpson has height as his ace but Cowan is a late picked mid who so far has failed to stay fit for long. Everyone would agree there is a point where hard decisions have to be made , no one can be kept on a list , no mater how loyal you are to your players , if they are failing to meet the demands on footy. I hope he can get right , he has a nice inside and outside game...the little I have seen , but for every Cowan there will be a Schroder who has shown he can play and may yet be let go. AFL is no easy gig
It isn't an easy gig. Don't like speculating on who might go. Those better placed than us know what best suits our requirements.

From what I've seen of Josh he's an AFL standard player who finds the ball, is a good size, has pace, a big engine and aggression. I'd suggest they may be among the qualities the professionals at the club see in him and are the reasons they may be prepared to persevere.

It isn't an easy gig. Don't like speculating on who might go. Those better placed than us know what best suits our requirements.

From what I've seen of Josh he's an AFL standard player who finds the ball, is a good size, has pace, a big engine and aggression. I'd suggest they may be among the qualities the professionals at the club see in him and are the reasons they may be prepared to persevere.
And I've seen little of that.
Must add, you've been quite lucky to see him play at all. Most of the world hasn't.

Needs to be remembered that both his Achilles issues were derived from congenital defects in said Achilles that had been there from birth and as such took a while to find and correct.

Now that does not excuse his absence but since the correction surgery I understand there has been no further Achilles issues.
He had a hammy and then a recurrence which ruled him out this year.
I'd say his time is very very limited but allowing for the fact his issues have been corrected he could have a great clean year next year.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the boys posted a video on Instagram of Cowan doing some boxing training in the gym a few days ago, think it might of been Burbury. Thought I would share as there is usually more chance of a Bigfoot sighting than Josh Cowan

At senior level he averages 10 possessions a game. The highest amount of possessions he had gathered in a match is 11. That's hardly elite midfielder status.

From what I have seen of Cowan, the 3 AFL games he's played & the handful of VFL games he played, particularly the couple of games he came back for late last year in the VFL, I have really liked what I have seen. He looks a really well rounded player, decent size, quick, skillful, hard at it and has a good engine when fit. I can understand why the club has kept him around as he looks to have a heap of potential. Whether he can get over his injuries to fulfill it is another story. Like many have said I think a rookie spot would be the go for him next year, let him get his body right and have every chance to get back to full fitness and prove himself in the 2's and if he can then he should stay on. If he is unable to get injury free next year then I think his time is most likely up, which is a shame because I believe he could be a good AFL player.

From what I have seen of Cowan, the 3 AFL games he's played & the handful of VFL games he played, particularly the couple of games he came back for late last year in the VFL, I have really liked what I have seen. He looks a really well rounded player, decent size, quick, skillful, hard at it and has a good engine when fit. I can understand why the club has kept him around as he looks to have a heap of potential. Whether he can get over his injuries to fulfill it is another story. Like many have said I think a rookie spot would be the go for him next year, let him get his body right and have every chance to get back to full fitness and prove himself in the 2's and if he can then he should stay on. If he is unable to get injury free next year then I think his time is most likely up, which is a shame because I believe he could be a good AFL player.

Rookie spot is absolutely reasonable. But given they've already kept Menzel on the list, a senior spot for Cowan is at best extremely risky and at worst negligent.

Menzel, Cowan, Vardy and Simpson - 33 games combined in the last 3 seasons.

Rookie spot is absolutely reasonable. But given they've already kept Menzel on the list, a senior spot for Cowan is at best extremely risky and at worst negligent.

Yeah it's hard with these guys because they have all shown they can be players. Menzel & Vardy could be anything if they can stay injury free. I suppose it's difficult to know when too make the hard call, especially when they show so much promise. I agree on Cowan, would be silly to keep him on the senior list, makes it harder having all these constantly injured players taking up list spots.

I think even a rookie spot has some risk. Assuming we only take third-year rookies off the RL (either delisting or upgrading), that would only give us one active rookie pick this year, besides Cowan. And what if we want to take an emergency Orren Stephenson-esque ruckman in the rookie draft? That would give us zero young prospects coming through this year, via the rookie draft (Cowan will be 24 years old by the start of the 2015 season, after all: he's only a few months younger than Hunt and Brown).

I think our rookie list is a bit out of whack at the moment. Each year, we seem to be taking too many players in the rookie draft, or not enough. I think 2-3 per year is the right amount. In 2013 we took four and in 2012, we took zero. We have no third-years in 2015 and, in that sense, I guess Cowan could help, since surely 2015 is his last shot and he'll be off the rookie list at the end of next year, one way or another.

I think even a rookie spot has some risk. Assuming we only take third-year rookies off the RL (either delisting or upgrading), that would only give us one active rookie pick this year, besides Cowan. And what if we want to take an emergency Orren Stephenson-esque ruckman in the rookie draft? That would give us zero young prospects coming through this year, via the rookie draft (Cowan will be 24 years old by the start of the 2015 season, after all: he's only a few months younger than Hunt and Brown).
Putting aside that our last Orren Stephenson-esque ruck man was taken in the ND anyway, I'm not really seeing the risk in the scenario you've just outlined. Why would you separate the young prospects coming through on the rookie list from the ones on the rest of the list more generally? We've got plenty coming through.

There's also arguably an advantage in pushing mature guys onto the RD, in that it improves your overall draft position: rather than picking at what is effectively pick 80+ you're picking at 60. Not a huge advantage but one that is there nonetheless.

Putting aside that our last Orren Stephenson-esque ruck man was taken in the ND anyway, I'm not really seeing the risk in the scenario you've just outlined. Why would you separate the young prospects coming through on the rookie list from the ones on the rest of the list more generally? We've got plenty coming through.

I think we'd definitely be able to get a ruckman of Stephenson's quality in the rookie draft these days, if we chose to go down that path, with a mature aged backup. I'd probably prefer to go after someone like Darcy Cameron though, if he's available: a guy who is young and big, has senior experience in a top state league and might be able to play as an emergency in 2-3 games next year, but could be something special five years down the track.

The reason I'd separate them is that you can probably only afford to promote two rookies a year. If you take four players in the rookie draft and they all look the goods, you've either got to take a punt on one or more, before their time is up, or you have to cut one or more loose when they could have value to you.

There's also arguably an advantage in pushing mature guys onto the RD, in that it improves your overall draft position: rather than picking at what is effectively pick 80+ you're picking at 60. Not a huge advantage but one that is there nonetheless.

If last year is anything to go by, it seems that taking recycled players in the ND, like the PSD is practically extinct. The only reason to do it really is if other clubs are after the same player, but are only prepared to offer a rookie spot, or if the player will only accept a spot if he is on a senior salary (as with Stephenson). I'm not against taking mature players in the rookie draft; I'd just prefer to focus on taking the U21 types who have missed out on the draft, than the Richmond approach of a couple of years back.

Im not sure of anyone whom has kept him at the senior list level. I have defended his retention stoutly not he list but the move to rookie I have endorsed. Best of both worlds for mine.

Go Catters

At senior level he averages 10 possessions a game. The highest amount of possessions he had gathered in a match is 11. That's hardly elite midfielder status.
Tell the club who look like they are going to continue with him that he's average. The fact is he hasn't had a decent run and those who have more football knowledge in their toenail than you do in your entire body rate him. In the end it is only what those at the club think that really counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back