goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
The club sees something in Josh, that's for sure.

He's not being kept on our list in some form next year as an act of charity. Or as an act of stupidity for that matter.

The key decision-makers at the club must think a fit Josh Cowan will be pushing for a senior berth at the GFC in 2015 and beyond.

And I hope they're right.:thumbsu:

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Tell the club who look like they are going to continue with him that he's average. The fact is he hasn't had a decent run and those who have more football knowledge in their toenail than you do in your entire body rate him. In the end it is only what those at the club think that really counts.

I would, if I was telling anyone that he was average. Which I wasn't. But don't worry, continue in your normal restrained and calm manner.

So voicing concerns about the number of chronically-injured players on our list is now taboo? Gotcha. I expect no comment on any player, or any matter to do with the club, from any poster forthwith. Unless you work for the club, you have no right. THEY KNOW MORE THAN YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Well I must say I am a little surprised they have kept him on the list. I can only assume the powers that be think he is really something special. As I have only seen him twice in the last three years, I am hardly in a position to criticize.

What is it? One game in two years/three years? I am looking forward to him vindicating the club's faith by performing at a very high level when he returns.

AM

The standard you walk past is the one you accept
Aug 18, 2006
Here there and everywhere
AFL Club
Geelong
Well I must say I am a little surprised they have kept him on the list. I can only assume the powers that be think he is really something special. As I have only seen him twice in the last three years, I am hardly in a position to criticize.

What is it? One game in two years/three years? I am looking forward to him vindicating the club's faith by performing at a very high level when he returns.
Haven't really heard anyone of note from the club say anything other than he's a talented player. So it's encouraging that it appears the club is going to stand by him. That said, until we hear his contract has been extended it remains "it appears" they are going to persevere.

AM

The standard you walk past is the one you accept
Aug 18, 2006
Here there and everywhere
AFL Club
Geelong
Where is this news that we are keeping him on for next year?
As I suggested he hasn't re-signed yet as far as I know. However, if you listen to the Medical Room you'll note it's said the plan is "....to build him up steadily over the summer" Seems a positive comment for mine.

Whit3y

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sheff Wed
if we delisted him back in 2014

we would have had a replacement player coming into his 4th year this season

and as wells always picks the diamond in the rough no doubt he would have been a talent

hindsight hey

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
if we delisted him back in 2014

we would have had a replacement player coming into his 4th year this season

and as wells always picks the diamond in the rough no doubt he would have been a talent

hindsight hey

Yep, hindsight. It’s not like any of us said he was crap to begin with and too injury prone. Those games since really showed us.

Not really. Was the same when I was 20. Just have a low tolerance for spin and bullshit. He’s always been incredibly average and shockingly injury prone. Some just don’t like to hear it and fewer to admit it.

He kicked a goal against GC in his first game (iirc) off one step at around 50 meters. Did very little since. I thought that he should have gone earlier. Not as injury prone as Marcus Drum.;)

He showed in the qf against Hawtborn in 2016 why we persisted. From that his best was clearly good enough but it didn't work out. s**t happens. You'd think we could all move on rather than continue with cheap shots after he's left the club.

Bravo....why there's continuing sniping against a guy who gave it his best shot, but failed because his body let him down, is beyond me.

In fact, its pathetic.

Its a long long journey to get to play in the AFL and he completed that journey. His body didnt allow him an even break to develop his game further..

So..you nod your head, you pat him on the back, you say bad luck mate, and you move on. The sniping and backhanders sent Cowan's way do no-one credit on this board IMO.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Bravo....why there's continuing sniping against a guy who gave it his best shot, but failed because his body let him down, is beyond me.

In fact, its pathetic.

Its a long long journey to get to play in the AFL and he completed that journey. His body didnt allow him an even break to develop his game further..

So..you nod your head, you pat him on the back, you say bad luck mate, and you move on. The sniping and backhanders sent Cowan's way do no-one credit on this board IMO.

There's actually very little sniping against Cowan. No one doubted how hard he worked, and I've stated repeatedly that his effort could never ever be questioned. But having copped plenty of s**t for daring to suggest that the club might have erred in keeping faith in him for so long, I'm not going to apologise for pointing out the queries held against him by a number of us were absolutely valid.

And there's no doubt if he had made it there would be no shortage of gloating. Seems the frustration is more that those holding a contrary view were correct.

The point is the guy is no longer with us. His story at Geelong is over.

Those who were correct about him and criticized Geelong's decision to keep him can rejoice. Those who supported him and Geelong's decision to keep him onboard can cry in their soup.

Whatever, there's not much to be gained from further discussion about him specifically, as he's history now.

/thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back