Prediction Where is Maynard going to end up playing?

Remove this Banner Ad

SideysBottom

Senior List
Oct 23, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I shake my head when I see Maynard on the last line of defence. He doesn't defend as well as Langdon and sometimes his method to "hack the ball" can lead to disastrous results. Bucks doesn't see it...

It's clear to me he's best football is through the midfield, his natural evolution is to become a strong bull in the contest in the midfield being a top shelf midfielder with the ability to kick goals from long range. He can be inspiring as he looks like a player who has unlimited potential which we need to explore under a new coach/leadership model.

If this bloke doesn't have the most upside on our list I am staggered in the person who does. Put him in the midfield next season (ahead of Wills) with his willingness to put his head over the ball and fight.

Would like him to take Greenwood's role.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Greenwood has a great tank. Maynard's is improving, but he is still not a capable full time midfielder or tagger.

Still only 20 years old. For me, he is coming along ok. It's only the glaring errors that cost him. He was pretty good at times yesterday.

He'll 'end up' right where he is now:

- Offensive-minded on a less-than-dangerous opponent in some games.

- Up on a wing in some games.

- Deeper in defence in some games.

- Priority handball receive option across half back in some games.

- Hard lock-down effort in some games.

To be a success and to add to our team, we need defenders like him that can be flexible and play a variety of roles.

He'll be alright. Don't mind the brain fades - 3 or 4 of our 2010 premiership heroes used to be a lot, lot worse at the same age when it came to coughing the pill up.

He'll work it out and continue to improve, because he gives a sh1t. He's engaged. He'll get there. This has been an exciting year for him.

He'll 'end up' right where he is now:

- Offensive-minded on a less-than-dangerous opponent in some games.

- Up on a wing in some games.

- Deeper in defence in some games.

- Priority handball receive option across half back in some games.

- Hard lock-down effort in some games.

To be a success and to add to our team, we need defenders like him that can be flexible and play a variety of roles.

He'll be alright. Don't mind the brain fades - 3 or 4 of our 2010 premiership heroes used to be a lot, lot worse at the same age when it came to coughing the pill up.

He'll work it out and continue to improve, because he gives a sh1t. He's engaged. He'll get there. This has been an exciting year for him.

I think he would be much more efficient as a midfielder, starting in the centre bounce at ball ups and pushing up the ground to create an opportunity for a forward 50 score. As a defender he is prone to lapses in concentration and we don't see him in the play that often unless the ball is down that end of the ground, to be a lock-down defender these days you need to have your wits about you for the whole game. Scharenberg can fit this criteria as he's fairly reliable in a marking contest and doesn't look for an easy possession.

I hold high hopes for him - level-headed bloke who can grow into a wonderful leader for the club - just needs a chance to prove his worth in the midfield over the coming years, he will naturally become a first-choice midfield option overtaking hard nuts Greenwood and Adams.

He's a mid, plain & simple. Maynard, De Goey & Adams all having runs through the packs we'd probably never lose a clearence. All bulls.

Would you seriously trust Maynard below his knees, in and outside traffic with clean hands to set up play or extract ala Pendles or Treloar?

I don't see it.

He's a limited player.

If he cannot play on a half back flank, I don't see a role for him at AFL level.

Gee wow wizz he is still young, sure he has flaws but has so much upside. I want him to stay with us and keep playing in defence. He has shown glimpses of what he can be in the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Greenwood has a great tank. Maynard's is improving, but he is still not a capable full time midfielder or tagger.

Still only 20 years old. For me, he is coming along ok. It's only the glaring errors that cost him. He was pretty good at times yesterday.

Not now but eventually.

Would you seriously trust Maynard below his knees, in and outside traffic with clean hands to set up play or extract ala Pendles or Treloar?

I don't see it.

He's a limited player.

If he cannot play on a half back flank, I don't see a role for him at AFL level.

I remember him pulling off a couple of good extractions yesterday. Not every mid is going to be Pendlebury Treloar quality.

Yeh something has always bugged me about his position down back. I feel for the kid because he has been thrown into the deep end, much to the teams demise. They are trying hard to develop him like they did Marley Wiliams (we all saw how that turned out) but it's time to move him up the ground. I don't think he has the agility or footy smarts for a midfield role but definitely can play wing/hf/hb. Would actually like him to go back to the two's to learn this part of his game.

Half back flanker - a bit more composure, or rather tempering of his intensity (which comes with age) and learning how to read the play a bit better and I can see him becoming a (Luke) Hodge-lite type of player with his kicking and hardness off half back.

It's so easy to forget that he's only 20, but he's essentially a bottom-ager. Definitely a keeper for mine despite all the naysayers - and the brain fades when he tries to to over-extend himself (but everybody from Steelo down does that) at times.

He's got that little bit of campaigner in him as well that we sorely lack at the moment.

Like most, I'd love to see him up the ground - I reckon he'd be good for a long goal outside attaching 50 most weeks, and, hopefully not freaking me out any time he gets the ball in our back 50....

Goodness me, the amount of negative absent minded non sensical crap that gets posted around this place is astounding.

I get that there are a lot of people that have no idea about sport and still want to partake in conversation...I respect that. What I think is seriously unhelpful is the blatant negativity and particularly in this case as it's grossly misplaced. He is 20yo and doing incredibly well, could be anything or nothing we don't know.

If you are truly a Collingwood supporter, perhaps firstly have a think about what you're saying negative comments propagate exponentially. Our team has largely struggled under pressure this year naysayers contribute to this building of pressure.

If you're just closet Carlton supporters then maybe switch colours and post on the Carlton board, everyone will be happier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back