Where is roughy at?

Remove this Banner Ad

My thought is to replace Gibson/Hodge with Roughead and use his skills to play that 3rd man up / general role. I've never been a fan of him playing a 1-on-1 defensive role but his skills could suit the sweeper.

He reads the flight of the ball very well, jumps better from the side to mark or punch, clean below his knees to mop up or win a contested ball, a huge tackler (Hannebery says hi), the kicking skills to setup running/spreading defenders or fwds leading up the wing, and just enough mongrel to help the younger backline stand a bit taller (ala Hodge). He knows the game plan inside-out and I always like captains better in the back half. When we don't play a spare man in defence he can have bursts in the midfield or throw him fwd for impact when required.

The change might be good for the team but might also be the challenge Rough needs to get that spark back, that many here think he's lacking this year.

There's still a few very good years left in Rough yet!

I reckon it's worth a crack!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rough made the error which changed the game, not good enough from our c

The game was well and truly changed before that error. It was just a matter of time before the avalanche. The fact that he had to kick it backwards from the wing because no one was forward of the centre says it all....

The game was well and truly changed before that error. It was just a matter of time before the avalanche. The fact that he had to kick it backwards from the wing because no one was forward of the centre says it all....
There were players in front of him though...

Embarrassing thread. Keenly awaiting the next instalment of 'Roughie to CHB?' to follow it this week.

Because his play so clearly doesn't deserve questioning, you should never critique a Hawk captain, or because he's a bloke whose overcome so much?

Because his play so clearly doesn't deserve questioning, you should never critique a Hawk captain, or because he's a bloke whose overcome so much?

Mainly because he, unlike many, is still showing endeavour when other sides are start to roll over us. He's had a year out of the game, couldn't train for a good deal of that time, has come back and been burdened with the captaincy of a struggling team and despite all that is still in reasonably decent form (not saying he should cop criticism for costly turnovers etc) and would probably still be one of our more consistent players this year while not absolutely dominating as we'd probably all like him too.

Check out his stats - outside his goals kicked (which he still leads our team on) his stats are roughly in line with his 2013-2015 stats. There's a slight dip, but I think most of our squad would be in that position.

I think our vice captains have gone missing far more this year than Roughie has. At least Rough is getting up and down the field and trying to get involved and win the ball when it's not coming forward. ~50% of his possessions this year are contested and he's averaging 7 score involvements also.

I think Rough is in far better touch than a majority of his team mates. Off hand I'd only be putting Mitchell, McEvoy and Burton ahead of him at this point.

Mainly because he, unlike many, is still showing endeavour when other sides are start to roll over us. He's had a year out of the game, couldn't train for a good deal of that time, has come back and been burdened with the captaincy of a struggling team and despite all that is still in reasonably decent form (not saying he should cop criticism for costly turnovers etc) and would probably still be one of our more consistent players this year while not absolutely dominating as we'd probably all like him too.

Check out his stats - outside his goals kicked (which he still leads our team on) his stats are roughly in line with his 2013-2015 stats. There's a slight dip, but I think most of our squad would be in that position.

I think our vice captains have gone missing far more this year than Roughie has. At least Rough is getting up and down the field and trying to get involved and win the ball when it's not coming forward. ~50% of his possessions this year are contested and he's averaging 7 score involvements also.

I think Rough is in far better touch than a majority of his team mates. Off hand I'd only be putting Mitchell, McEvoy and Burton ahead of him at this point.

See is disagree regarding the 'in far better touch' He just isn't competing at contests like he should/ use too. Also my irk at a captain is the believe when the chips are down or the ship is sinking the captain leads by example. Just haven't seen that this year.

See is disagree regarding the 'in far better touch' He just isn't competing at contests like he should/ use too. Also my irk at a captain is the believe when the chips are down or the ship is sinking the captain leads by example. Just haven't seen that this year.

Completely disagree - he's one of the only ones still putting in when we are getting rolled. He can only do so much when the majority of the team roll into a ball and ask our opponent to be gentle.

Completely disagree - he's one of the only ones still putting in when we are getting rolled. He can only do so much when the majority of the team roll into a ball and ask our opponent to be gentle.

Muuuch prefer when I get to read your thoughts as above than the previous throw away line.......
Convinced me enough to keep watching and hold my tongue re the Rough, no doubt his form will also benefit from an increase across the board of all 22 players effort, skills and execution.

That turnover kick in the third? That was a coach killer/game changer of the highest order :(
Just remember that there were two parts to THAT KICK , one was that it was his third option and it was such a soft floater (it looked devoid of confidence) second the receiver Sicily started to lead up to it then just waited for it and left himself a sitting shot to be intercepted. Funny how one made the other look bad after the obvious lack of love between them a couple of weeks earlier.
This mistake took two to tango.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if its been said, bt he seems a bit too cocky on field and he stuffs it up in important stages of games, for example our match against collingwood, he had it on the wing and stood there and calmly just kicked it backwards right into collingwood players instead of going forward. He just seems a bit too calm

roughy's kicking around the ground is definitely technically flawed. he kicks leaning back on his heels and off one or two short steps.
I still think the plus 1 down back for a half a game when we lose the momentum would be perfect for us as a team.

I'll eat my humble pie here ladies and gents. Didnt do much all game but as long as he can seal games like that he is doing more than enough.

The Big Rough is at the SCG kicking match winning goals

And about to embark on making babies after a big win!

Haha, I like your second comment as much as your first.

It's a win/win!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back