Where is roughy at?

Remove this Banner Ad

OnceKicked50

Cancelled
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
"His performance in the last two years wasn't to the level it had been for the bulk of his career," Clarkson said.

50 could be a stretch you are right. 6-6-6 might help as he is better one on one, when marking and virtually no chance when double or triple teamed.

Not directed at you HR but should the rule about getting personal with players apply to Hawthorn fans/BF posters as well? Poor form on this board at times.

Do you think the 6-6-6 will have that big an impact? Once the centre bounce is done sides will revert back to zoning I believe.

If anything, the 6-6-6 will bring back the days of Crawf running to the 50 and kicking goals from the centre clearance. We watched Cotchin do that to us in JLT 2. O'Meara also got on the end of one from the centre clearance.

This might be why we plug one of McEvoy or Ceglar at FF after each goal, they are good prospects one out.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don’t think Ruff has much left in him but what these rule changes could have done is extend his career a bit, his smarts and experience will ensure he wins his fair share of 1v1s. His hands the last few years have been horrendous, if he can start gripping the footy again he may be useful.

OnceKicked50

Cancelled
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don’t think Ruff has much left in him but what these rule changes could have done is extend his career a bit, his smarts and experience will ensure he wins his fair share of 1v1s. His hands the last few years have been horrendous, if he can start gripping the footy again he may be useful.

How many one-on-on chances do you think he might see on average from the 6-6-6? Personally I can't see enough to suggest it might be a reason he extends his career.

We haven't been a great centre clearance team even with Mitchell. Factor in secondary ball-ups, losing centre clearances, our mids getting a chance to run to 50 and hit the goals and the likelihood our resting ruck will be the best one-one-one target, I don't see big Rough getting enough opportunities that this would play a huge reason if he was to play on in 2020.

If he plays on, it is more likely his body is 100%. But as I said early, it's going to be a delicate situation at some point as you'd think at some point in time we are going to have to have a good look at who will be our key forward in 2020. If midway through it's looking unlikely that's going to be Rough, I hope we roll Lewis and Nash out consistently. There isn't a likely trade or free agency CHF out there.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
There might be a potential David Hale though

in 2013 Hale was 29y and Lake was 31y they cost pick 17 (2010) and pick 21+41-27 (2012)

Pretty important parts of the Threepeat

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Do you think the 6-6-6 will have that big an impact? Once the centre bounce is done sides will revert back to zoning I believe.

If anything, the 6-6-6 will bring back the days of Crawf running to the 50 and kicking goals from the centre clearance. We watched Cotchin do that to us in JLT 2. O'Meara also got on the end of one from the centre clearance.

This might be why we plug one of McEvoy or Ceglar at FF after each goal, they are good prospects one out.

In answer to your question I am not sure. The average amount of goals scored per game over time is 30. So 6-6-6 will be, based on averages, 30 centre bounces per game not including the opening bounces, which make 34. Some sides will take advantage of this more than others imo. If Roughy, stays in the goalsquare for these centre bounces I would like to think he would benefit from this rule change by at least 10 goals over the season. Based on last years output that would put him on track for 44 goals for the season. Being relinquished of the pressure of captaincy and having had a very good pre-season might see him pick up the other 6 for a 50 goal season. I think he could do it.

By the same token if he continues his form from the last two season (i.e. downward trend) the posters saying he is no chance for the 50 goal season could be bang on the money.

EDIT: Above is why I will quietly lament not having Tom in the guts all year.

Last edited:

OnceKicked50

Cancelled
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
In answer to your question I am not sure. The average amount of goals scored per game over time is 30. So 6-6-6 will be in effect 30 times per game not including the opening bounces, which makes 34. Some sides will take advantage of this more than others imo. If Roughy, theoretically stays in the square for these centre bounces I would like to think he would benefit from this rule change for at least 10 goals over the season. Based on last years output that would put him on track for 44 goals for the season. Being relinquished of the pressure of captaincy and having had a very good pre-season might see him pick up the other 6 for a 50 goal season. I think he could do it.

By the same token if he continues is form from the last two season (i.e. downward trend) the posters saying he is no chance foe the 50 goals season could be bang on the money.

Well thought out.

OnceKicked50

Cancelled
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There might be a potential David Hale though

in 2013 Hale was 29y and Lake was 31y they cost pick 17 (2010) and pick 21+41-27 (2012)

Pretty important parts of the Threepeat

With our list demographic I'd be surprised if we are chasing 29 and 31 year olds.

Hale was one of the best role players we have had. But I think both Ceglar and McEvoy are more than capable of impacting in the forward half as Hale did. I don't think this is a need.

Ultimately, we need a 50 goal a season key forward. Tough to find, and not the role Hale played.

I agree, Tige. I'm not sure it'll extend his career as such, but I reckon it'll make him more effective in 2019 than he would have been without the rule change. Prior to the rule change (prior to seeing it, maybe), I wanted him at CHF & for us to go long, over his head, to a resting ruckman at FF. My reasoning: he was too easy to defend & playing through him would lead to turnovers, that would quickly turn to rebound if he wasn't able to chase.

Now & after seeing a bit of the 6-6-6 (admittedly, pre-season & only a few games) I like the idea of Roughy at FF & as you allude to, I reckon it'll be his smarts/experience that will be the difference. I've always said that the best attribute that David Hale had was his brain (plenty of room for it in there!). Well, Roughy is smarter (IMO). He'll know where to run, where not to run & where to run away from to ensure our Front 6 work like an effective machine.

I'm pretty excited to see Roughy in action in 2019!

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
With our list demographic I'd be surprised if we are chasing 29 and 31 year olds.

Hale was one of the best role players we have had. But I think both Ceglar and McEvoy are more than capable of impacting in the forward half as Hale did. I don't think this is a need.

Ultimately, we need a 50 goal a season key forward. Tough to find, and not the role Hale played.
Harder to find and plenty of busts too. That’s my point
The other point quoting over 30s is they don’t need to be perfect or expensive trades

Last edited:

Spursfan

Club Legend
Mar 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Don't think he'll kick 50 again, if he kicked 30-35 I'd be pretty happy. He still takes a good player and will free up Bruest/Gunston/Wingard to do some damage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Was his best game for the year without a doubt, still managed to spill an uncontested chest mark though, but without doubt his best game for the season.
We know he isn’t at his best but if he helps bring others into the game like he did against the saints his place in the side is assured.

JedAnderson

Debutant
Oct 31, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not in our best 22 but what can you do? The club would look ridiculous if they dropped him and there would be uproar. We are stuck between a rock and a hard place unfortunately.

Lol *edit* definitely an overreaction on my behalf. Still in our best 22 but there's no one there knocking down the door for his spot either.
He shouldn’t be. Goes to ground too much now, drops chest marks and is off the mark with his kicking. Sorry to say past it.

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Why is it that Roughy is not put in defence while Mitch Lewis crashes packs in the Fwd Line?

Roughy
Defence requirements:-
- Reading the play: :thumbsu:
- Good 1 on 1: :thumbsu:
- Doesn’t panic: :thumbsu:
- Able to intercept mark: :thumbsu:
- Able to spoil: :thumbsu:
- A reliable kick: :thumbsu:
- Speed off the mark: ? probably:thumbsdown: though I’d back his Footy IQ to make up for speed issues.

Added to that:-
- can direct players to the right spots: :thumbsu:

The big Rough is a perfect relief CHB while Kosi develops and allowing TOB and Brand to play on 2nd and 3rd talls in their effort to show why they will become premiership backman.

That said, I actually see Roughy as a utility who can play anywhere on the field if given limited game time (kept fresh) and set to play for impact where he can have the most influence. We got, and continue to get, extra quality years out of Burgers because we did not use him in the crash and bash of the middle, choosing instead to put him in the backline with a “break glass, just add Burgers” option.
Rough could be awesome as a “break glass” option if kept fresh.

But who knows if he can actually play down back on an opponent. Not me... I have never seen him as a backman playing on a forward.

I think a game down back could be a career extending revelation for Jarrod, ....... at the very least it would be great to know... if only we could see it.

Last edited:

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Think the best think we can hope for it Roughy to impart some of his forward craft knowledge and play alongside Mitch Lewis. And besides, roughy is one of our few forward who can kick straight! Needs to give the rest of them a few goal kicking tips for sure.

ScottMaginness

All Australian
Oct 16, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There are games this year where he'll drop a simple mark or fumble a ground ball and I think "He's cooked" and then a few minutes later he will fire out a smart handpass or tap the ball on to advantage and I can see his value other than just his leadership.
He goes quite well as a relieving ruck and I guess being at the tail-end of his career we're not as worried about getting his body banged up any more than it already it is. Still shows a lot of passion during the game which is great to see.

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We are not going to play Rough in the backline in the twilight of his career. Well, I can't see it happening at least.
You cannot see the Hawks playing Roughy in the backline... fair enough... the Hawks have never done it. I just don’t see why Roughy is so pigeon-holed as an attacking player when his defensive traits are so obvious.
My idea has Roughy being an effective player for 2 more years: and we need spine players.

Think the best think we can hope for it Roughy to impart some of his forward craft knowledge and play alongside Mitch Lewis. And besides, roughy is one of our few forward who can kick straight! Needs to give the rest of them a few goal kicking tips for sure.
While I like the idea of Roughy as a fwd coach, he can do that at training. I think he has 2 more years, on managed field time, as an impact player down back, up fwd, in the centre (especially when the oppo has big bodied mids), as wells as being a relief ruck around the ground.

Roughy seems to want to play for as long as he is useful (even on minimum AFL coin the money is great). If used properly I think Roughy has 2 more years of us praising his presence.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back