Where is Shane Yarran?

Remove this Banner Ad

Has a place in our evolving forward line, and for me sits nicely amongst Walters, Apeness, Taberner and McCarthy (small assumption). Roll Bennel and Fyfe through there too. Sure it is a work in progress and as a mature recruit Yarran doesn't have a lot of time, but he will be better next year.

He's a mature ager but I sometimes forget he's only played 5 games so far. He made quite a few mistakes yesterday but what I am most impressed about is his attitude. He is listening and working on the things that he needs to. Interestingly he had more pressure acts than Mayne yesterday - 22 to 20. That's huge for us because as much as some don't like to admit it, pressure does win football games. Yarran as a dangerous forward (I'd say our best kick on goal) who is working defensively as well is a B22 lock. Walters was also back to his best pressure wise. And Apeness! If teams are worried about that beast crunching them in our forward half, that's surely got to be a very good thing for creating pressure and therefore turnovers.

Lets hope he stays on track. I am sure there will be temptations and decisions to make, I hope he can repel whatever negative influences may be around him and return in top shape ready to make the most of the next 2-3 years of an AFL career.

Love his skills and looks the goods but needs to work on his strength in contests. The ball has been too easily stripped off him when there is physical pressure through the midfield. Expect him to work on that in the pre-season and continue to develop. Also needs to back his instinct more when playing up the ground.

His ability to create separation between him and his opponent is something we have really missed in the forward line the last 2 years. Also love his creativity around goal.

With a strong pre-season I am expecting big things from him next year.

Love his smooth playing style. Only thing he needs to work on are his handballs, which have been quite poor at times. Alternatively he could just alway kick, which i'd be fine with too.

Must be one of our only players ever to kick at least a goal in his first 6 games, would love to see how long he can keep this up for

Very excited for him next year with a full preseason

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HF: Bennell ?????? Walters
FF: Yarran Apeness ??????

With Pavlich retired, if Mayne and Ballantyne leave we have 2 free spots in the forward line. I'm convinced Apeness will make it. Not certain on Taberner despite the disparity between performances to date. Apeness does the little things you expect of an early career key forward. Loves the contest, good grab, long set shot.

Currently we fill those two spots with a choice of Taberner (not too bad, but a long way to go), Langdon, Griffin, Hannath, Clarke, Crozier (better back), Weller (better back)...the majority of those are gone or better played elsewhere.

Our forward line next year is going to fairly short of depth.

HF: Bennell ?????? Walters
FF: Yarran Apeness ??????

With Pavlich retired, if Mayne and Ballantyne leave we have 2 free spots in the forward line. I'm convinced Apeness will make it. Not certain on Taberner despite the disparity between performances to date. Apeness does the little things you expect of an early career key forward. Loves the contest, good grab, long set shot.

Currently we fill those two spots with a choice of Taberner (not too bad, but a long way to go), Langdon, Griffin, Hannath, Clarke, Crozier (better back), Weller (better back)...the majority of those are gone or better played elsewhere.

Our forward line next year is going to fairly short of depth.

Our depth in the front six is a big concern, but if we land McCarthy it'll help a lot.

I liked it at the time, but the capacity to watch and see how far he moved and the pressure it put the dogs under - Crikey! he folds space and time around him. Boyd/Suckling had the ball, space and control - except for Yarran stuffing up the plans, that was beautiful to watch, but that whole backing it up with additional pressure and finding space through all those bodies afterwards was amazing.

He's certainly a long way away from where many posters placed him in terms of talent,professionalism and longer term value to the club.
Quite likely to see even greater improvement next season.
Has always drawn great praise from RTB,who we know to be a demanding taskmaster.
Already a inspiring story and could well become another great selection by the recruiters.

I think it was ?Morris he dropped with a big bump just as he disposed of the ball from the pocket ....he was still stretching and grimacing 5 minutes later.

That's why I hope De Boer sticks around, physicality remains an important part of the game.

I just hope we don't train Yarran to be another player behind the ball ....his ability to time his lead and protect the drop zone are perfectly suited to the front half stay at home forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back