Where is the highest concentration of your clubs supporters - by suburb.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ha! Who has all the feral supporters now eagles fans?

Living in the far Northern suburbs, but travelling all over the place i have noticed a very big increase in Dockers Membership stickers in the Northern Suburbs of Perth over the last 2 years.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty marginal, but slightly in favour of Port. There are plenty of migrant families who go for Port out West I've heard. Like Italians and Greeks, etc.

I've wondered why that is. I'm not Italian myself, but as an elective for my Law degree, I'm doing a class on migrants and the making of modern Australia. Italians value family and community more than anything else. The home is the central part of the Italian family and Italians gather together at each others houses, so I guess there is that togetherness. Which is probably why they support a family and community club like Port rather than the glossy franchise of the Crows.

Good question. My best guess is that most Italians and Greeks that live in the western suburbs came to Adelaide in the 50's and 60's when port was doing pretty well under fos Williams. Also ports colors are the same as juventus, another successful team (as much as I hate them) which helps as well.

As an aside I went to st michaels at Henley beach in the late 90's and most of us Italians there went for port

Ps good luck in your legal studies

Nothing from Sydney on this thread !!, my guess would be Newtown in Sydney for the Swans, dont really have any definitive proof, just a hunch.

I think Melbourne goes through the Frankston line. Heavy concentration through Hawksburn, Toorak, Armadale, Malvern. A few in Caulfield. A few more down Glenhuntly, Ormond, McKinnon and Bentleigh.

You could say the north half belongs to the Dees and the southern half of the line belongs to the Saints. I thought Casey was getting into the Demons act as well over the last few seasons?

Last edited:
This was in the Sunday Times recently - Dianella and Canning Vale for Eagles and Dockers. And Canning Vale has the higher median income of the 2 suburbs despite being further away - so Freo are the Chardonnay sippers ;)
m.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/membership-data-reveals-dianella-and-canning-vale-are-the-true-heartlands-of-wa-football/story-fnhocxo3-1226848992240

Well there you go, suprised me, i always thought Dianella had a huge Italian population and although thought they followed the footy would not have banked on Dianella being the true heartland.

I also think there is a old and new Dianella, ( new part of Dianella being built about 10 years ago) wonder if that has made a difference.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...s-of-wa-football/story-fnhocxo3-1226848992240

Ballarat is an interesting one. The Bombers and Pies have a big following out here, not so much Carlton or Richmond. Saints have their fair share thanks to zoning and the Cats are pretty sizeable too being that bit closer than Melbourne. North, while they want to capture the town don't have a great deal out here either.

Living in the Eltham/Montmorency area i would say nearly 50% go for Collingwood. I think i was the Pies draft zone back in the day which explains why so many people would follow them.

This is in my opinion the basic generalization of the Melbourne teams and the suburbs that fans come from.
  • Western suburbs are Doggies
  • Eastern suburbs are Tigers and Hawks
  • North Eastern is Carlton and Collingwood
  • North Western is Essendon
  • Bayside to Frankston and inner SE is St Kilda with Carlton and Melbourne too.
  • Outer SE suburbs are Collingwood, Tigers, Bombers and Hawks
  • North are all over the place I think

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Living in the far Northern suburbs, but travelling all over the place i have noticed a very big increase in Dockers Membership stickers in the Northern Suburbs of Perth over the last 2 years.

Agreed, the Northern coastal suburbs have a massive amount of eagles supporters, particuarly suburbs such as Sorrento, Hillarys etc, I went to school in the area and 90% of students were eagles supporters but I think this is starting to decrease as the younger side of Gen Y/Gen Z aren't brought up in an environment were Eagles are the only team representing WA.

I'd say Cockburn would probably be about 70/30 to Freo going by my general observations. The way I look at it is that south of the river is Freo and north is Eagles. Having done some Uni time at ECU in Joondalup I feel quite confident in saying there and the surrounding areas are quite a high Eagles supporting population.

Good question. My best guess is that most Italians and Greeks that live in the western suburbs came to Adelaide in the 50's and 60's when port was doing pretty well under fos Williams. Also ports colors are the same as juventus, another successful team (as much as I hate them) which helps as well.

As an aside I went to st michaels at Henley beach in the late 90's and most of us Italians there went for port

Ps good luck in your legal studies

I think that's why Campbelltown has a lot of Port supporters. The suburb Newton is about 60% Italian. And the point about Juve is interesting.

I have been on Port's Facebook page at times and there are a few people with Italian names who push the importance of it being a family and community club.

I think Tredders went to St. Micks and maybe Jared Polec too? There's this Italian girl at Uni and she said that at St. Micks the Italian kids and Greek kids hung out separately, as did the Muslims. Pretty interesting as I'm doing a research paper on the concentration of cultural and ethnic communities within geographical enclaves. That separation within the student body typifies that. At Scotch my mates and I hung out with anyone who wanted to talk footy and rowing. Which was quite a few of them!

And thanks for your kind words. :thumbsu:

It might be. My grandparents live in Doncaster East, and my Dad grew up there, and it used to be mostly Fitzroy because they were zoned there, but there's a lot of Hawthorn out that way now. I think a lot of older people who bought homes there in the 70s and 80s have probably gone off the footy a bit with Fitzroy's merger/relocation.

I'm in East Donny. I'd say Essendon, Richmond, Hawthorn and Collingwood are the most followed teams and they're all just about equally supported. Smattering of Brisbane (Fitzroy connection, particularly with the oldies) and Carlton supporters, with Geelong and Melbourne a bit behind them. Bulldogs, North and St Kilda have about zero support, right down there with the interstate teams.

But yeah there's a fair few ex-Fitzroy supporters who either moved onto other teams or who stopped caring about the AFL after that debacle. Still a fair few connections with them out here though the cricket and footy clubs, and the Manningham Hotel in Bulleen was the Melbourne base for the Lions until a few years ago when Carlton (I think?) kicked them out and got the license.

I'm in East Donny. I'd say Essendon, Richmond, Hawthorn and Collingwood are the most followed teams and they're all just about equally supported. Smattering of Brisbane (Fitzroy connection, particularly with the oldies) and Carlton supporters, with Geelong and Melbourne a bit behind them. Bulldogs, North and St Kilda have about zero support, right down there with the interstate teams.

But yeah there's a fair few ex-Fitzroy supporters who either moved onto other teams or who stopped caring about the AFL after that debacle. Still a fair few connections with them out here though the cricket and footy clubs, and the Manningham Hotel in Bulleen was the Melbourne base for the Lions until a few years ago when Carlton (I think?) kicked them out and got the license.
Interesting to know - I haven't been out much in the area apart from visiting the grandparents and playing for a local cricket club on occasion (and moreso next year), so I don't get too much of an idea of the support in the suburb. Seems to be a bit of Essendon around whenever I'm at the local parks and that (think Long Valley Way, Santa Rosa, Pine Hill Drive) and some Hawthorn too - just scarves, shirts, kids wearing jumpers and that.

Just from what my Dad's said about the zoning and all that when he was growing up it seemed like it was definitely a Fitzroy suburb.

Interesting to know - I haven't been out much in the area apart from visiting the grandparents and playing for a local cricket club on occasion (and moreso next year), so I don't get too much of an idea of the support in the suburb. Seems to be a bit of Essendon around whenever I'm at the local parks and that (think Long Valley Way, Santa Rosa, Pine Hill Drive) and some Hawthorn too - just scarves, shirts, kids wearing jumpers and that.

Just from what my Dad's said about the zoning and all that when he was growing up it seemed like it was definitely a Fitzroy suburb.

Yeah those two and Richmond are probably the biggest with the kids. Collingwood has more of an older generation of supporters, but unlike Fitzroy a decent amount of that has been passed down to people born in the last couple of decades. Probably has to do with the fact Vic Park was the closest and easiest to get to VFL stadium from here I'm guessing, which obviously isn't as applicable anymore + with development the newbies out here didn't have that connection to them hence the Pies are dropping compared to the other 3.

My mum's side of the family grew up in the area too, and I get the impression from them that pre-development it was largely Fitzroy and Collingwood, with Richmond a distant third and no one else close. Might be skewed by the fact that side of my family unfortunately are Pies supporters though (other than my grandma who was a disinterested Roys fan) :drunk:

But certainly if Fitzroy wasn't your first team they were always your second out here, more so than in other areas of Melbourne at least :thumbsu:

I used to live in the Burnside area and it's Crows territory. Now that I live in Unley, it's fair to say it's a similar trend based on how many people were down King William Road in Hyde Park with their scarves on before last weeks game. Not many the week before for the Port game even though the Hyde Park Tavern and the Cremorne both have a bit of history with Port personnel I've heard.

If I had to have a stab, I'd do it by council areas.

Unley (Inner South): Crows (80/20)
Burnside (East): Crows (80/20)
Mitcham (Inner South): Crows (70/30)
Walkerville (Inner North-East): Crows (80/20)
Norwood, Payneham & St. Peters (Inner North-East): Crows (70/30)
Adelaide (City) (Central): Crows (60/40)
Prospect (Inner North): Crows (60/40)
Adelaide Hills (Outer South-Eastern): Crows (60/40)
Mt. Barker (Outer South-Eastern): Crows (55/45)
Marion (South-West): Port (60/40)
Onkaparinga (South): Port (60/40)
Holdfast Bay (Glenelg) (West): Crows (70/30)
West Torrens (West): Port (55/45)
Charles Sturt (North-West): Port (55/45)
Port Adelaide Enfield (North-West): Port (70/30)
Playford (Elizabeth) (North): Crows (60/40)
Salisbury (North): Crows (60/40)

Gawler (North): Port (60/40)
Campbelltown (North-East): Port (60/40)
Tea Tree Gully (North-East): Port (60/40)

Unsubstantiated, but worth a ping. Anyone in the know object to my list? Would be interesting to look at the actual statistics.

Other way round. Port are massive in the northern suburbs, but you get a lot more Crows in the north-east. I grew up in a north-eastern suburb and we had very few Port fans at school (early 2000s we're talking) but near blanket Crows fans. Go out to Salisbury it's a lot more Port dominated.

I think that's why Campbelltown has a lot of Port supporters. The suburb Newton is about 60% Italian. And the point about Juve is interesting.

I have been on Port's Facebook page at times and there are a few people with Italian names who push the importance of it being a family and community club.

I think Tredders went to St. Micks and maybe Jared Polec too? There's this Italian girl at Uni and she said that at St. Micks the Italian kids and Greek kids hung out separately, as did the Muslims. Pretty interesting as I'm doing a research paper on the concentration of cultural and ethnic communities within geographical enclaves. That separation within the student body typifies that. At Scotch my mates and I hung out with anyone who wanted to talk footy and rowing. Which was quite a few of them!

And thanks for your kind words. :thumbsu:

LOL, I live in newton and your right about the 60% Italian bit. Heaps of Crows/norwood supporters there as well. Interesting about the family/community club bit, first I've heard of that, but then again my parents never understood aussie rules anyway.

Re: St Micks, Tredders went there but he was a few years older than me so I don't remember him. I was a year older than Scott Thompson (he and his family were massive port supporters) and was a couple years older than brett ebert (he had a normal size head back then). Back in the late 90's St Micks was mainly split between Italians and Anglos, Greeks mainly went to Adelaide High or St George.

If you want more info on concentration of ethnic communities in certain areas, look at the land values back then. Migrants tend to congregate in cheaper areas (for obvious reasons). Eg, in the 50's Norwood and St Peters were working class suburbs, whereas areas like Kidman Park was all market gardens. Newton was mainly scrub until the 1950's as well. If you need any more info, am happy to help.

Other way round. Port are massive in the northern suburbs, but you get a lot more Crows in the north-east. I grew up in a north-eastern suburb and we had very few Port fans at school (early 2000s we're talking) but near blanket Crows fans. Go out to Salisbury it's a lot more Port dominated.

Depends where in the north eastern suburbs, I live in newton and I'd say its a rough split, but then again I moved there when I got married

Remove this Banner Ad

Back