Where is the WRFL heading?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs / Willy / Palace
Is it an indictment on the WRFL that during a period of enormous growth in the western region over the past 30 years only Caroline Springs has provided new senior teams in growth areas over that time (since Wyndhamvale)?

Is the WRFL proactive in driving growth, does it consult and engage with newer local communities and local councils? What is it's strategic plan for growth?

Is it driving the establishment of new clubs in areas such as Tarneit, Truganina and Manor Lakes or does it wait and expect parents in those areas to get together and battle through the long and difficult process of establishing a footy club?

In its own Statement of Purpose it says that it will encorage, develop, foster and promote footy but does it actually live its own words?

With the competition facing footy these days, I don't think the WRFL or any footy body can sit back and expect things to happen and a more proactive approach is needed.

This is not a criticism of the current administration but they need to get their hands dirty and make the WRFL the only competition local clubs want to play in.

I agree 100% with all that you say BUT the current administration are going to send 300-400 kids looking for a new home when they kick point cook out of the league to me that is very poor administration the puppets at the league are just for show its the BIG named clubs running the WRFL(worst run football league)

Yes i agree WRFL should have chased hard at
(Point Cook amo league) and they should have a club at Newport and also at Flemington/ Nth Melbourne Kensington.
They say that they are going to increase the 2nd division what about giving Central Altona a second chance.

..... the puppets at the league are just for show its the BIG named clubs running the WRFL.....(quote]

Please advise us who these clubs are and why their vote is worth more than the other clubs ?

Clearly be is referring to spotty, and he would be correct

Is it an indictment on the WRFL that during a period of enormous growth in the western region over the past 30 years only Caroline Springs has provided new senior teams in growth areas over that time (since Wyndhamvale)?

Is the WRFL proactive in driving growth, does it consult and engage with newer local communities and local councils? What is it's strategic plan for growth?

Is it driving the establishment of new clubs in areas such as Tarneit, Truganina and Manor Lakes or does it wait and expect parents in those areas to get together and battle through the long and difficult process of establishing a footy club?

In its own Statement of Purpose it says that it will encorage, develop, foster and promote footy but does it actually live its own words?

With the competition facing footy these days, I don't think the WRFL or any footy body can sit back and expect things to happen and a more proactive approach is needed.

This is not a criticism of the current administration but they need to get their hands dirty and make the WRFL the only competition local clubs want to play in.

You open with the words "Is it?" then follow with numerous paragraphs which are statements and / or questions addressed to the league. You then end with "its not a criticism of the current administration."
So tell us all whats your answer or recommendation to your own questions/ statement in your opinion. Im sure the WRFL would love to hear from you.

In regards to Truganina, Tarneit and Manor lakes these areas are currently served by the following junior clubs. Hoppers Crossing, Old Westbourne, werribee, werribee Centrals and Wyndhamvale. There certainly isnt a big enough population in these areas to support new senior sides as is evident by the fact that Point Cook ( compare the population there ) despite having so many juniors is only entering thier second season in senior football competition, with most players coming from the greater Werribee area if you look at clearances from other WRFL clubs.

You come across as a s**t stirer maybe from point cook, however if you have any real concerns to get on here, I am sure the WRFL board would love to have an enthusiastic concerned local on board to help grow the comp.

In regards to someone elses post re stronger clubs. Read the constitution.
Any member club with 4 or more sides is eligible to (2) votes on any matter requiring member clubs to pass at a meeting. In 6 years of attending league meetings I have never known of any club to lodge more than (1) vote on any matter and exercise this choice.
Maybe if some of the bigger clubs had lodged thier 2 votes ( Werribee Juniors, Altona Juniors, Hoppers Crossing and Spotswood etc) point cook may not have entered the comp at all? And yes they did say at their initiall application that they 'intended" not would, but carefully chosen words (INTENDED ) to eventually field a senior side in the WRFL. This was what got them across the line.

Instead of getting on here, why dont you "get your hands dirty" and join the WRFL and see what you can do.

If the league is intending on kicking out Point Cook because it does not want to field a senior team in the WRFL, shouldn't they be doing the same thing to the St. Bernard's sides? Not trying to stir, but just wondering why they would implement a rule for one and not the other.

If the league is intending on kicking out Point Cook because it does not want to field a senior team in the WRFL, shouldn't they be doing the same thing to the St. Bernard's sides? Not trying to stir, but just wondering why they would implement a rule for one and not the other.

If a general rule was across the WRFL re junior teams requiring senior teams to also be fielded in the WRFL then fair enough. The same could then be said for Centrals, Werribee Jnrs, Willy Jnrs, Old Westbourne, St Bernards. However, the word deceipt comes to mind re point cook in the manner in which the presented the clubs application for affiliation to the WRFL when the subject of seniors arose. In conversations I personally had with Steve Ward the PC president in the two years prior to them having a senior side, it was obvious they were always heading to the ammos.
I would even say he was quite smug about it. A number of presidents/ administrators from other WRFL clubs where also present most times. Now they are playing the victim.
I bet the clubs that heard it are the ones screaming loudest now.

If a general rule was across the WRFL re junior teams requiring senior teams to also be fielded in the WRFL then fair enough. The same could then be said for Centrals, Werribee Jnrs, Willy Jnrs, Old Westbourne, St Bernards. However, the word deceipt comes to mind re point cook in the manner in which the presented the clubs application for affiliation to the WRFL when the subject of seniors arose. In conversations I personally had with Steve Ward the PC president in the two years prior to them having a senior side, it was obvious they were always heading to the ammos.
I would even say he was quite smug about it. A number of presidents/ administrators from other WRFL clubs where also present most times. Now they are playing the victim.

I've been back over some of your posts, very anti Point Cook. Obviously have an issue.
In your conversations with the president, did he ever explain why, or did you ask him why. Did you try to encourage him to put the Seniors in the WRFL or even let the WRFL know they were going to the Ammos, as they, the WRFL hierachy, certainly don't appear to have approached PC or encouraged them to start in the WRFL.
The other point that also needs to be noted, Presidents do not make decisions on their own, or they shouldn't. Well run Committee's allow each person to have their own say and vote accordingly. Therefore, whether the President was saying they were going to the Ammos or not 2 years earlier, was not his decision solely.

1. Steve comes across "smug" but from what i understand is a good operator
2. I believe he was stepping down this year - can anyone confirm this.
3. I believe that as stated above, ammos was always the way they were going to go.

Please feel free to correct if you think i am wrong.

1. Steve comes across "smug" but from what i understand is a good operator
2. I believe he was stepping down this year - can anyone confirm this.
3. I believe that as stated above, ammos was always the way they were going to go.

Please feel free to correct if you think i am wrong.

From my understanding and from people I have spoken to at the club;-

1. Not sure whether 'smug' is the right word. Frustrated may be better as this has issue has now been on going for over 18 months and each time it is raised he is asked the same questions.
2. No nothing about him stepping down or staying
3. I beleive that numerous leagues were looked at (as any good committee would do on behalf of its members) and that the Ammos were the 'best fit' for the club 'at the moment'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back