Media Where It All Began: Sparkle's Journey to the formations of the Sweet FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Before you read this thread, please listen to this familiar tone. It's a key part of getting into the nostalgic feel of 2001

Now, take a few moments to look at these pieces of technology from 2001. From left-to-right, we've got a cream-coloured computer (complete with keyboard), a square TV (with AV plugs front-and-centre), and a VCR (with a digital screen on the front to say how far into the tape you are)

Good old times writing stories | Old computers, Gaming computer, Digital  technology
Obsolete Technology Tellye !: SAMSUNG MOD:CZ-6844W YEAR 2001.
Panasonic PV-S9670 4-Head Hi-Fi S-VHS VCR | Tech Switch Shop

Finally, take a look at this cricket intro from Nine's coverage of Day 3 of the 5th Test between Australia and the West Indies at the SCG, which you might've watched on a TV similar to the one pictured above, or recorded on a VCR similar to the one pictured above

By now you should be thinking "gee, haven't we come a long way in technology since 2001. Wouldn't it be nice to head back and relive those memories?". Thanks to BigFooty archiving threads way back to the foundation of the website itself, and website archives such as the Wayback Machine, we can

On Page 367 (at the time of writing) of the Sweet FA board, you can find a thread titled 'What are the Sweet Football Association Teams:' (https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/what-are-the-sweet-football-associaton-teams.2598/). Scroll down to post #4, and the man himself, the legend, the superstar, Mobbs, posted this:

Mornin' all
smile.gif

WCE2000 : Yep, four and a half teams so far, those are the names, just like you posted.

Three and a half of the teams have websites. You can access them via the league website (under const.) : http://www.lexicon.net/POTOC/SweetFA.html

------------------
Hallowed be thy Roy

The first thing that stands out is Mobbs' typed-out signature (which was brought up yesterday and is what served as the inspiration for me to delve into the history books), and the missing image. Mobbs, you wouldn't happen to remember what that image was do you?

By using the Wayback Machine, we can find the website Mobbs posted, and it's certainly a clear visual representation of 2001 website technology

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 8.46.08 pm.png

My favourite part of that page is the lousy National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation reference. Anyway, on the sidebar we can see a number of links, the first of which is titled 'Clubs'. Clicking on that link will take us to this page, which gives a list of the foundation Sweet FA teams, their logos and their jumpers

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 8.48.44 pm.png

Seeing as the thread is beginning to become rather long (and Have You Been Paying Attention will be on soon), I'll end the OP with the screenshot provided of the first ever Sweet FA match, labelled as a practice match and played between Team Kournikova and Dingoes

1601290349853.png

Hopefully I've inspired others to delve back into the SFA archives and uncover their own pieces of Sweet FA history, depending on how things go I may consider posting some more screenshots (including a write-up of the history of the SFA, which at the time was pretty empty)

Before you read this thread, please listen to this familiar tone. It's a key part of getting into the nostalgic feel of 2001

Now, take a few moments to look at these pieces of technology from 2001. From left-to-right, we've got a cream-coloured computer (complete with keyboard), a square TV (with AV plugs front-and-centre), and a VCR (with a digital screen on the front to say how far into the tape you are)

Good old times writing stories | Old computers, Gaming computer, Digital  technology

Finally, take a look at this cricket intro from Nine's coverage of Day 3 of the 5th Test between Australia and the West Indies at the SCG, which you might've watched on a TV similar to the one pictured above, or recorded on a VCR similar to the one pictured above

By now you should be thinking "gee, haven't we come a long way in technology since 2001. Wouldn't it be nice to head back and relive those memories?". Thanks to BigFooty archiving threads way back to the foundation of the website itself, and website archives such as the Wayback Machine, we can

On Page 367 (at the time of writing) of the Sweet FA board, you can find a thread titled 'What are the Sweet Football Association Teams:' (https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/what-are-the-sweet-football-associaton-teams.2598/). Scroll down to post #4, and the man himself, the legend, the superstar, Mobbs, posted this:

The first thing that stands out is Mobbs' typed-out signature (which was brought up yesterday and is what served as the inspiration for me to delve into the history books), and the missing image. Mobbs, you wouldn't happen to remember what that image was do you?

By using the Wayback Machine, we can find the website Mobbs posted, and it's certainly a clear visual representation of 2001 website technology

View attachment 972764

My favourite part of that page is the lousy National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation reference. Anyway, on the sidebar we can see a number of links, the first of which is titled 'Clubs'. Clicking on that link will take us to this page, which gives a list of the foundation Sweet FA teams, their logos and their jumpers

View attachment 972768

Seeing as the thread is beginning to become rather long (and Have You Been Paying Attention will be on soon), I'll end the OP with the screenshot provided of the first ever Sweet FA match, labelled as a practice match and played between Team Kournikova and Dingoes

View attachment 972774

Hopefully I've inspired others to delve back into the SFA archives and uncover their own pieces of Sweet FA history, depending on how things go I may consider posting some more screenshots (including a write-up of the history of the SFA, which at the time was pretty empty)

That three of the founding teams were “formerly” others means that there’s an SFA Pre-History!

View attachment 972764

View attachment 972768

View attachment 972774

Wasnt there an AlfAndrews medal at some stage ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back