Where should the AFL Grand Final be played?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Not going to happen unless the AFL can get out of the contract with the MCG and I reckon that contract would be watertight.
In any case the MCG is the biggest and best place to play the GF for supporters and the AFL and after all Yarra Park where its built on is the birth place of Australian Football.

Public disgust will see the AFL seeking to get out of the deal, wont like its national comp being regarded as a joke. It will cost $heaps, Premier Dan played a compliant AFL off the break.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
Have cities bid to host it providing they meet certain criteria ie access to the stadium, public transport, facilities, available accommodation in the general area, airport facilities that sort of thing. Award them X amount of years notice, giving them plenty of time to prepare for it and to upgrade the above mention facilities if needed.

Everyone wins. Airlines and hotels get to gouge people, areas get upgraded facilities to use for decades and even allow them to bid again in the future.

It's no good awarding it to the highest ranked side that makes it to the gf as it leave no time to prepare facilities / amenities properly and for the travelling public to arrange things.

Of course the other idea is to just have it rotating at this stage between Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney. If anyone else wants to join in the fun, they just need to have a big enough stadium, say 40,000 minimum.
And who is going to pay out the AFL/MCG contract?

Public disgust will see the AFL seeking to get out of the deal, wont like its national comp being regarded as a joke. It will cost $heaps, Premier Dan played a compliant AFL off the break.

Lol, no chance

The AFL never bows to public pressure, or we would have no goal review, no gambling ads at the games, no non competing club GF ticket allocations, and no afl-x

How did the afls "year of the fan" go for you?

Tell 'em to ********. Tell 'em if you don't let us out of the contract we'll take our product elsewhere.

World Series Cricket, breakaway comp played at other venues.

Which venues? Unlike during WSC, the availability of 40k+ ovals the AFL don't control is few and far between.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Which venues? Unlike during WSC, the availability of 40k+ ovals the AFL don't control is few and far between.

Why do they have to be 40k venues? It will settle once people understand the AFL is in charge and not the MCC.

I worded my initial post badly. The AFL walks away from the MCC / MCG, not a breakaway comp from the AFL. The MCC could make them pay a massive fee for breaking the contract but then what? How many uses are there for a 100,000 stadium outside of the AFL? One day a year for Boxing Day and maybe a major international music act, I can't think of anything else though that can't be done at Docklands. The AFL says we will pay your penalty for breaking the contract but we will never play a game of AFL at your facility again.

Do you think stadium management in other states will side with the MCC or AFL when it looks like they have a chance of hosting the AFL Grand Final? The MCC would be kicked to the curb.

Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys Chicago Bulls
Firstly the ticketing for the AFL Grand Final is a farce.
It should be 70K minimum for fans and the other 30k corporates.

The only other stadium that could be used is in Stadium Australia which will hold 80,000 once the development finishes by 2021-ish.

If there was a stadium in each state that held minimum 80,000 i wouldn't have a problem with it being rotated with 70-80% going to the fans.

But that is never going to happen, Interstate teams don't have a problem winning games there so i don't really see it as that much of an advantage to be honest.

Why do they have to be 40k venues? It will settle once people understand the AFL is in charge and not the MCC.

I worded my initial post badly. The AFL walks away from the MCC / MCG, not a breakaway comp from the AFL. The MCC could make them pay a massive fee for breaking the contract but then what? How many uses are there for a 100,000 stadium outside of the AFL? One day a year for Boxing Day and maybe a major international music act, I can't think of anything else though that can't be done at Docklands. The AFL says we will pay your penalty for breaking the contract but we will never play a game of AFL at your facility again.

Do you think stadium management in other states will side with the MCC or AFL when it looks like they have a chance of hosting the AFL Grand Final? The MCC would be kicked to the curb.

Who's paying the contract termination fee?

Also good luck getting any further Vic govt money moving forward

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Lol, no chance

The AFL never bows to public pressure, or we would have no goal review, no gambling ads at the games, no non competing club GF ticket allocations, and no afl-x

How did the afls "year of the fan" go for you?

I'm encouraged by your post, change will happen, how the AFL will afford it is my only question.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Who's paying the contract termination fee?

Also good luck getting any further Vic govt money moving forward

MCC will come to the table and negotiate. AFL is the biggest ticket in the country, if push came to shove, I'd put my money on the AFL.

If they walk with their product, what are the MCC going to apart from make them pay for breaking the contract, then what?

Maybe the MCC could sell the land off to developers, you reckon the 103,000 MCC members will vote for that.

In the end, they might get a payout but in reality, I think they'd do what they're told.

MCC will come to the table and negotiate. AFL is the biggest ticket in the country, if push came to shove, I'd put my money on the AFL.

If they walk with their product, what are the MCC going to apart from make them pay for breaking the contract, then what?

Maybe the MCC could sell the land off to developers, you reckon the 103,000 MCC members will vote for that.

In the end, they might get a payout but in reality, I think they'd do what they're told.

You know how a negotiation works right?

For the MCC to give up something (a thirty year deal that is worth millions per deal) they need to get something in return of similar value.

There is zero incentive for the MCC to break the deal unless they get paid above the agreements worth

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
You know how a negotiation works right?

For the MCC to give up something (a thirty year deal that is worth millions per deal) they need to get something in return of similar value.

There is zero incentive for the MCC to break the deal unless they get paid above the agreements worth

Yep the MCC will be looking for something ($s or kind), & the AFL would be looking to minimise the damage, what is the cred of the comp worth?

Try this as a starting point, the AFL will not honour the current contract beyond say 2024.
The Vic Govt will be offered the GF on a rotation with Q, NSW, SA & WA (Tas why not).
BUT
be able to negotiate back from there to say Vic get 1 in 2.
You could turn it into a board game ;)

I've been in a contract negotiation with the MCC & MCG Trust, no push over.

Yep the MCC will be looking for something ($s or kind), & the AFL would be looking to minimise the damage, what is the cred of the comp worth?

Try this as a starting point, the AFL will not honour the current contract beyond say 2024.
The Vic Govt will be offered the GF on a rotation with Q, NSW, SA & WA (Tas why not).
BUT
be able to negotiate back from there to say Vic get 1 in 2.
You could turn it into a board game ;)

I've been in a contract negotiation with the MCC & MCG Trust, no push over.

If the afl don’t honour, they are off to court and good luck with that. And good luck finding a judge who isn’t a mcc member.

This isn’t a fairness issue, the afl don’t give two tosses about that. They push the saints to play in china and force Geelong to play home games not at their home ground. Fairness isn’t a factor in their thinking

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
If the afl don’t honour, they are off to court and good luck with that. And good luck finding a judge who isn’t a mcc member.

This isn’t a fairness issue, the afl don’t give two tosses about that. They push the saints to play in china and force Geelong to play home games not at their home ground. Fairness isn’t a factor in their thinking

Agree on fairness but it will get to a point where no one in club land accepts it, the claims of a neutral venue are distressed.

The majority of coaches dont support it, I'd back the AFLPA would run from any attempt by the players to put a view.

Bit like pokies, they gave many of the Melbourne clubs a financial lifeline but they'll be gone soon.

Its not a tomorrow play.

A judge without MCC membership, you're right ... be as rare as a MCG trustee without MCC membership.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I'm not a fan of the highest qualifier hosting, it's too late notice for such a big game.

If any change happens, I am in favour for the preselected or rotating ground. So for example it's preset that MCG hosts in 2020, Optus in 2021, SCG in 2022, etc. From there however it would be great to have a get out clause if two close teams qualify, no one wants to have a Carlton v Collingwood GF randomly at the Gabba one year.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I'm not a fan of the highest qualifier hosting, it's too late notice for such a big game.

If any change happens, I am in favour for the preselected or rotating ground. So for example it's preset that MCG hosts in 2020, Optus in 2021, SCG in 2022, etc. From there however it would be great to have a get out clause if two close teams qualify, no one wants to have a Carlton v Collingwood GF randomly at the Gabba one year.

Queensland tourism would love it & pay accordingly.

Of course the other idea is to just have it rotating at this stage between Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney. If anyone else wants to join in the fun, they just need to have a big enough stadium, say 40,000 minimum.

Yep, rotate it or at least organise it based on the number of teams in that city, so MCG gets more GFs but not all of them. Based on those 4 cities, and the teams in each city, 6 out of every 16 GFs are not at the G. When Brisbane gets a big enough ground, they join the rotation with 2 GFs every 18 years.
This ensures we aren't having two Vic sides playing GFs at interstate venues regularly.

Still will advantage Vic teams but less disadvantage for their fans.

Name the next few venues in advance and then it's luck of the draw as to who happens to get a home GF instead of a neutral venue.

& that elitist view will slowly be rejected in favour of cred - the elitists will be very slowly white anted.
Not sure why that opinion is 'elitist' but whatever

The FA cup has been held at Wembley every year that the stadium has been opened, never hear the Sunderland, Brighton, Manchester, Newcastle ext fans ever complaining about it being unfair

Back