Where should the AFL Grand Final be played?

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Yep, rotate it or at least organise it based on the number of teams in that city, so MCG gets more GFs but not all of them. Based on those 4 cities, and the teams in each city, 6 out of every 16 GFs are not at the G. When Brisbane gets a big enough ground, they join the rotation with 2 GFs every 18 years.
This ensures we aren't having two Vic sides playing GFs at interstate venues regularly.

Still will advantage Vic teams but less disadvantage for their fans.

Name the next few venues in advance and then it's luck of the draw as to who happens to get a home GF instead of a neutral venue.

I got to say I love the GF at the MCG, but I am also in favour of always doing what is right for the league in a national aspect.
I would be in Favor of the MCG having it 2 times out of 3 years.
2019 MCG
2020 MCG
2021 Optus
2022 MCG
2023 MCG
2024 AO
and so on.

But at the end of the day its at the G for my lifetime so to be honest I don't care what they do after that, the chances of me following this Hybrid sport still in 10 years is pretty remote.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Not sure why that opinion is 'elitist' but whatever

The FA cup has been held at Wembley every year that the stadium has been opened, never hear the Sunderland, Brighton, Manchester, Newcastle ext fans ever complaining about it being unfair

Whose home ground is Wembley?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

The FA cup has been held at Wembley every year that the stadium has been opened, never hear the Sunderland, Brighton, Manchester, Newcastle ext fans ever complaining about it being unfair

elitist because it shrieks mine, mine ....

Works fine for English soccer, look at plenty of examples but the reality is of AFL footy the majority of AFL coaches see something wrong, its about how long ...

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
You know how a negotiation works right?

For the MCC to give up something (a thirty year deal that is worth millions per deal) they need to get something in return of similar value.

There is zero incentive for the MCC to break the deal unless they get paid above the agreements worth

There could be, if you give up the rights to host the next 30 odd gf's, we won't take our competition elsewhere. If you want to play hard ball, we'll just pay out the contract and walk and you can survive of the scraps of cricket and the odd music concert.

Why would they? It's a 5 hour drive for them. They don't have the tyranny of distance that the AFL has.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
There could be, if you give up the rights to host the next 30 odd gf's, we won't take our competition elsewhere. If you want to play hard ball, we'll just pay out the contract and walk and you can survive of the scraps of cricket and the odd music concert.

The problem for the MCC is no footy, no waiting list.

how can they take their competition elsewhere? They have a contract to play 40+ games at the G each year

also good luck getting the Pies, Dees, and Tigs to agree to leave the MCG

Whose home ground is Wembley?
the MCG isnt the homeground for 5 Victorian clubs either.

So is the issue only when the 5 MCG tennants are in the grand final?

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

elitist because it shrieks mine, mine ....

Works fine for English soccer, look at plenty of examples but the reality is of AFL footy the majority of AFL coaches see something wrong, its about how long ...

can you name and show proof of 10 AFL coaches seeing something wrong?

Or because one Victorian based coach voiced an opinion, you believe there are 9 others that agree with him?

Why would they? It's a 5 hour drive for them. They don't have the tyranny of distance that the AFL has.
5 hours cramped in a car/bus is no different than doing the same or less on a plane

5 hours cramped in a car/bus is no different than doing the same or less on a plane

Hypoxic stress? Circadian rhythm?

They don't have to be cramped in a vehicle. They don't necessarily have to travel together and they can stop and get out for breaks.

It's not just that either. It's far easier for their fans to attend for support. The other advantage they have of course is that the ground size they play on is uniform and the weather conditions are not going to be as variable.

Hypoxic stress? Circadian rhythm?

They don't have to be cramped in a vehicle. They don't necessarily have to travel together and they can stop and get out for breaks.

It's not just that either. It's far easier for their fans to attend for support. The other advantage they have of course is that the ground size they play on is uniform and the weather conditions are not going to be as variable.

soccer pitches aren't the same size either.

The weather conditions I will give you can be vastly different though

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
can you name and show proof of 10 AFL coaches seeing something wrong?

Or because one Victorian based coach voiced an opinion, you believe there are 9 others that agree with him?

I wouldn’t be concerned what coaches think, their opinion will sway with who they coach.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Higher ranked club's home ground or open to genuine bidding like the NFL and Champions League.

Back