Where the Hawks rank among your favourite sporting teams?

Remove this Banner Ad

1 - Hawthorn - enough said. The pinnacle of Australian sporting clubs.
2 - Canberra Raiders - have supported them longer than I have the Hawks by about 12 months - but were the reason I started following Hawthorn (won the NSWRL grand final a week before the Hawks won in 1989 - first ever game of Aussie Rules I watched). They have been inept for a good two decades though which makes it a very painful experience, but I am loyal none the less.
3 - NSW Rugby League - another hard experience being a fan since 2006, but I am loyal to them despite failing so miserably for so long.
4 - Australian Rugby League - international games mean a little less than origin but I still always want to see the Kangaroos do well.
5 - Boston Celtics - adopted because they were green like the Raiders and I went to school during the peak MJ craze so I didn't want to be a Bulls fan like everyone else - I would also play with Larry Bird in the Gameboy game Jordan vs Bird (again to be contrarian) so Celtics felt like a good fit.
There's then a smattering of teams I follow for random reasons but don't get too emotionally attached to but still enjoy them winning. Chelsea in the EPL (because I used to use them in an old soccer game when they were mediocre - was on board pre-Abramovich), Mets in the MLB (ugh), Seahawks in the NFL, Hibs in the SPFL, NY Rangers in the NHL, Leeds in the English Super League, Melbourne Stars in the BBL and Melbourne City in the A-League.

Aussie cricket team would have been 3 on the list with the NSW cricket side closely behind - but the ball tampering fiasco has put a massive dent in my enthusiasm towards cricket for the time being.

EDIT - Roger Federer in the tennis also - don't often get beholden to individual athletes who aren't Australian but he is a deserved exception.

Interesting to see people nominate NBA/NFL/EPL etc. I suppose there may be some preference to see a team in these leagues win, but really, do you get upset if they lose.

Ask yourself how you feel after a loss. Then if any other team makes you feel absolutely gutted, then you can truly say you support that team.

If Hawks lose, I feel like s**t. Any other team, IDGAF if they lose (even if it is nice to see them win).

Therefore, there can be only one.

Hawthorn (AFL) clear consistent number one, then various degrees of interest over time; Knicks (NBA), Barcelona (la liga), Nth Melb Giants (NBL), Blackburn (EPL). Like others interest diminished with Aussie cricket team.

Interesting to see people nominate NBA/NFL/EPL etc. I suppose there may be some preference to see a team in these leagues win, but really, do you get upset if they lose.

Ask yourself how you feel after a loss. Then if any other team makes you feel absolutely gutted, then you can truly say you support that team.

If Hawks lose, I feel like s**t. Any other team, IDGAF if they lose (even if it is nice to see them win).

Therefore, there can be only one.

Celtics I want to see do well more than any other random team I have adopted - so when they lose important games it hurts (not every loss - it's an 82 game season plus playoffs after all). The others I love seeing do well but won't get bent out of shape when we lose.

The Raiders have made losing a an artform so the emotions are definitely there but I am honestly at a place where if we throw away a lead and end up losing in laughably bad circumstances then I just have to laugh to move on with it. If we somehow defied all logic and won a grand final I would probably get insanely emotional as the wait has been so long (24 years and counting) and so painfully bad at times that to win it all would be an absolute pressure release akin to the 2008 grand final.

Interesting thread. To see the spread of sports.

The only teams I’ve constantly followed are Hawthorn, Aussie cricket team, West Perth and WA cricket team.

I wrote this here once before, One of the strangest things I’ve watched was that foxtel cup a few years back, Box Hill vs WP. I honestly didn’t know who I wanted to have win. Toward the end I got behind Box hill, because I knew more players (hadn’t lived in Perth for years). Glad for WP though.

1. Socceroos - saw the Aloisi penalty game live along with the World Cup games- hard to beat.
2. Hawks - seen all GF’s and prelims since 2008, been an amazing Decade. We are blessed.
3.Victory- great to have a team to follow in the off season, love the game.
4. Mark Webber / Daniel Ricciardo - love F1 but no where near what it was a decade ago.
5. Aussie Olympic athletes- do us proud at the top level.

Hawks
Daylight
Neil Robertson (Snooker)
Any Aussie in the tennis (except Pat Rafter)
Local footy comps

Cricket lost interest in general with all the bribery and cheating going on. Real blight on the game. Hate the gambling association with sports, would rather have winfeild as a sponsor, then betfair!

1. Hawthorn FC
2. Box hill FC
3. Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
4. Melbourne Victory

Couldn’t care less about anything else other than supporting Australian teams in the World Cup & at the Olympics.

Hawthorn and Manly - you just really want the neutrals to hate you!

1) Hawthorn. Had no other option as a kid and would’ve been orphaned if I chose another club.
2) Massive New York Knicks fan. Love the city, love Madison Square Garden. It’s like being a St Kilda fam though to support the Knicks. Horrendously run but things are changing with the new coach & young core led by Porzingis & Knox
3) Melbourne Victory
4) Australian Soccer Team (refuse to call them the Socceroos)
5) LA Rams

1) Hawthorn. Had no other option as a kid and would’ve been orphaned if I chose another club.
2) Massive New York Knicks fan. Love the city, love Madison Square Garden. It’s like being a St Kilda fam though to support the Knicks. Horrendously run but things are changing with the new coach & young core led by Porzingis & Knox
3) Melbourne Victory
4) Australian Soccer Team (refuse to call them the Socceroos)
5) LA Rams

The Garden is fantastic. Best thing about going to any New York sporting event (I’ve been to games at Shea, Yankee Stadium and MSG) is the random ‘BOSTON SUCKS’ cheer they get going multiple times - and I’ve never been to a game where Boston were the opponent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Hawks - Even though the Hawks haven't had much success in my lifetime they are still my favourite sporting team. It's good though because there is alot to look forward to, hopefully in a few years we will be good enough to win a premiership.
10 years later... 4 flags!

1. Hawks
2. Aussie Cricket Team
3. Australian Soccer Team
4. Sydney Sixers
5. Melbourne Victory

I got into the Toronto Blue Jays briefly when they beat the yanks at their own game (baseball) twice in the early nineties.

Also had a fleeting interest in the North Melbourne Giants NBL team around the same time.

Must have been a lean time for the hawks as neither sport has held my attention at all since.

Hawthorn - back as a little tacker I was encapsulated by Dermott Brereton! Haven’t looked back since.

Manchester City
BJK
Real Madrid
Brazil

1. Hawthorn
2. Melbourne Storm
3. Melbourne Victory
4. Melbourne Rebels
= 5. Kangaroos (Australian rugby league team), Wallabies, Socceroos and Matildas
9. Queensland Maroons (State of Origin)
That’s pretty much it.

Not a huge follower of EPL, La Liga, NFL, NBA...

1. Hawthorn- Needs no explanation

2. Golden State Warriors - Unlike a fair chunk of fans who've jumped on in the last 3-5 years. I've been a fan if them for over 20 years, since high school. I think it was from playing NBA jam and just really liking their name.

3. Oakland A's. Only got into baseball in the last 10 years was too lazy to give it much thought and just took the team in closest proximity to the Golden State Warriors :D

4. New York Giants. Monetary reasons only cleaned up on them both years they won the superbowl recently. Thank you Eli!

5. West tigers. They probably should be higher up the list really

Surprised there is still so much love for the Aussie Cricket team. Lost some interest during the Michael Clarke era and it has only diminished further with the behaviour of the team and then ball tampering, etc...
Agreed, I was a fanatical fan of the Australian Cricket team growing up.
Ever since Mark Taylor's time as captain finished the team has just gotten just progressively more and more dislikeable to the point where i openly barrick for any team opposed to them. Hopefully that changes in the future

Hawks

daylight

Millwall

daylight

Storm.

Millwall! That's the one! Do you know this chant? 'Millwall, Millwall, you're all really dreadful, and your girlfriends are unfulfilled and alienated'.

Hawthorn- Fanatic

Sheffield Wednesday/ Barnet - Family soccer teams so was glued into me by my Euro family

Palmerston Magpies - live interstate now but stream every match
NT Thunder - as above

Portland Timbers
Norwood
Czech National Football Team
Socceroos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back