Analysis Where the Ruck are we?

Remove this Banner Ad

In my time of watching the Dogs, the best Ruck set up we had was in the Wallace coached teams of the late 90s where plan A was for Wynd to take centre bounces and then work back to help out the defence, whilst Darcy would start as a tall forward option and work up the ground to be the front half Ruckman.

I'd think Martin in the Wynd role and English in the Darcy role is a pretty good starting point for our 2021 Ruck plan

Should be the opposite way around I reckon. English is actually solid at the centre bounce and will at worst break even. It’s around the ground and especially in throw ins where he struggles. Plus English is great at drifting into defence and intercept marking.

Another post from me that means nothing

English has played against Brisbane twice for an average of 23.5 hitouts a game. He's only averaging better against Carlton with an average of 24.75 hitouts a game from 4 games.

One of those Brisbane games was against Martin, round 20 2019. Martin had 32 HO, 21 touches (15 contested), 6 clearances, 5 marks (2 contested) 3 one-percenters and 1 behind. English had 27 HO, 12 touches (8 contested), 3 clearances, 3 marks (2 contested), 11 one-percenters and a goal. If English did win the battle in the latest practice match then it wouldn't be too surprising, he wasn't too far off in an AFL game.

The thing that really excited me flicking through this stuff is how McInerney seems to be getting a fair few hitouts himself in 2019. If he can get into the high teens/twenties that means he has to be rucking a fair chunk himself. I thought Martin was the type to not have a lot of influence when he's not in the ruck because he doesn't seem to kick goals as a resting forward, but now I'm thinking he's just a different sort of resting ruck. More of a link-up player. I hope so because that means Martin and English can be a partnership that both provide something when out of the ruck which would be great.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back