Review Where to from Here? (Warning: Long)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rave Slave

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2004
Your Underwear
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Dick Slapperman
So approaching mid season with the embarassing record of 2-8 I thought it'd be a decent time to have a look at exactly where this club is sitting right now. I'll give the kids out there a warning right now that this is a long winded post so apologies in advance for your impending doom and loss of 3 hours. Also thought I'd throw this out there since I was absent during my faceoff thread due to unforeseen circumstances (apologies brucetiki!)

Anyways, onwards and upwards.

Regardless of your opinion on our list strength/depth/fitness etc I'm sure none of us had the club sitting 2-8 (2-9 when Freo have finished sodomising us) and 1 game above wooden spoon pole position. I thought I'd throw out there what we're doing right, what we're doing wrong and what exactly I'd like to see changed at this club to return us to our rightful place in the upper echelon of the AFL ladder.

What we're doing right/The Positives:

Jeez not a nice section to start off with. Hard to find positives when the club is sitting in its current position but there are a few.

Richard Douglas:

Aka Dougie the Pizza (Whipping) Boy. After years being played as a makeshift small forward due to a list devoid of options we've seen an absolute transformation in this guys game. From a fringe player, he's become our form midfielder this season. Admittedly still can miss a target from time to time but he's sticking his tackles, getting in at the bottom of packs and racking up his own ball. The other sign for me that he's starting to feel like he belongs is everytime he runs into an open goal 40 out he seems to slot them. Pan back 18 months and this was the guy who'd miss set shots from 30 out.

It's a remarkable transformation when you consider he was the first name uttered when potential trades came up last year and yet our midfield now looks at its most potent when he and Patty are in the middle. 30 possessions against the Saints will hopefully signal the coming of age of this young man.

Patrick Dangerfield:

Not often do elite level footballers that have the potential to change the game off their own boot come along. This kid is one of them. Forget the Tippett's and Walkers of the world, if this kid fulfills his potential he has the ability to be the best player of his generation. Strong, impossible to tackle, great disposal off both sides of the boot and natural leadership ability through his actions - the greatest shame is that we don't have 2 of him (He'd make a nice Forward option too). Probably the biggest criticism of him is that he doesn't earn himself enough easy possessions but with a greater fitness base that will come. He's shown in glimpses in the middle of the ground that he'll become the most feared inside midfielder in the game IMO.

Has the (old) Chris Judd turn of pace, the bullocking strength of a Ricciuto and the neat disposal by foot that, whilst not quite putting him at that elite level, will be damaging enough that once he's burnt off everyone around him he'll comfortably be able to hit a target on the lead. Biggest concern will probably wind up being his injury proneness due simply to the way he plays. We want a 15 year superstar not a 5 or 6 year enigma that could've been but wound up burnt out due to chronic injury.

Ivan Maric:

Probably flown under the radar a bit but for mine has shown more leadership qualities consistently than any other player this season. Will never be an elite level ruckman but has a heart the size of an ox. Is the first one in to defend his teammates when they're being attacked/niggled, consistently floats back across the defensive 50 and picks off marks with no concern for his safety (ala the traditional oldschool ruckman) and his hitout work has improved markedly as the season's gone on. Furthermore possesses one of the great goal celebrations of the modern AFL and is actually a decent kick of the footy (when he decides to kick it).

Youngsters Getting Gametime:

The one major shining light in such a season of injury and woe. Petrenko, Davis, Cook, Schmidt, Sloane, Armstrong, Gunston and to a lesser extent Walker have all had gametime pumped into them as a result of injury/form loss to senior players. Whilst none have truly stamped themselves on the game, we've seen glimpses of what each will offer in the future, Davis, Petrenko and Gunston particularly impressing. Fast tracking their development is now imperative when you consider our current age profile and these names must be persisted with.

...aaaand that's about it... Sad really isn't it? Feel free to add to the positives if you can think of anymore. I'm certainly struggling :(

What we're doing Wrong/The Negatives:

And here commences page 1 of a 3200 page bible....

The performances (on field/off field and both) of 'Senior Players':

Bernie Vince, Nathan Bock, Graham Johncock, Scott Thompson. 4 Names at the start of the season you would have comfortably pencilled in as top 5-10 in our B+F and all were potential winners of the coveted yellow jacket. Unfortunately due to lack of fitness, lack of form and lack of brain matter we've seen some less than glorious performances from the 4. Constant murmurings surrounding Bock and Thompson suggest both may potentially be seeking to continue their careers with other clubs. Whilst this could well be a media beatup there's often no smoke without fire and the reality is if this is what the boys really want then I'd be exploring all options.

Vince and Johncock are probably the 2 most disappointing members of this group however. At a time where we've been crying out for leaders these two decide to break basic team rules and wind up removing themselves from the selection frame just when we need them most. For Johncock it's become a worrying trend and Vince seems to be falling back into old habits. Whilst many have claimed Vince is a result of 'not handling the newfound pressure' if being an elite AFL footballer is what he wants he needs to get used to it and suck it up. If the club is serious at the end of this season they'll sit the 4 boys down individually and ask them 1) WTF they're planning on doing and 2) If they're really serious about being a part of our future campaigns. If they are then these boys need to start showing it with their actions more than their lip service.

You could probably include van Berlo and Porps here too but I've excused them due to cameos and recent form with van Chosen One.

Shane Warne being replaced as the 'Sheikh of Tweak':

Congratulations to the Adelaide Football Club's coaching staff you're officially the newly crowned 'Kings of Spin'.

"We're not concerned about our pre-season form"

"We're right where we want to be"

"We're learning and improving and it's all about the process"

"We can't replace the big 4 because there's no better options on the sidelines"

"We don't need some of the big 4 and we can't guarantee them games."

"It's a form issue not a fitness issue."

"It's a fitness issue not a form issue."

Confused?

Me too!

We've put out so many conflicting reports that I'm pretty sure I've established the problems in our pre season revolve around Zombie Dinosaurs who feed on footballs attacking during pre season and leaving us football-less.

It makes about as much sense as what we've been told so far.

I'd actually love SOMEONE at the club to come out and say 'We got this pre-season preparation wrong, we're doing a full evaluation of our fitness staff and scheduling this post season and no-one, regardless of age or seniority is safe at this club unless they're performing on field AS OF NOW.' Combining some of the press conference crap we've heard with the disgraceful handling of the Tyson Edwards situation and you've got a cluster**** of conflicting statements, spin and a supporter group who's simply lost faith in whether the club is actually telling the truth or spinning us more tripe. If the club is serious about openness and transparency then they'll sort out their media handling this off-season.

Fitness and the Pre-Season:

Contentious at best, a disaster at worst. In the modern AFL underdone players and a lack of run in players legs during the pre season can cost you games and in some extreme cases entire seasons. Whilst we were unlucky with some of the injuries copped a club of our size shouldn't be experiencing the amount of injuries we have over recent times.

Who's responsible?

Craig? Schwerdt? A Combination? It's not really for us to lay blame but it's another area the club needs to sort out and quickly. At one point we had 16 players listed as unavailable on our injury list and a swathe of players who were supposedly playing at less than 100%. For a club of our ilk this is a basic area that should never have gotten so out of control and must be addressed.

Andrew Mcleod:

Strange to put this under negatives but bear with me. This man would comfortably be leading our Best and Fairest at the moment. He's silk, he's one of the best players the AFL has seen and he could form a reasonable argument to being the greatest crow of all time. Trouble is he's 34. It's a bit of a sad indictment that this man is carrying our club at the moment when really he should be the cherry on top of the cake - not the cake itself. If he was 24 our whole list structure changes but sadly my anti-ageing time machine is in its early stages.

Tackling:

Gather round kids and let me tell you a tale of the good old days. The days where tackles used to stick, where we were renowned for our hardness at the man and ball, where when we tackled a player they hurt. Those were the good old days and this is now. We've fast deteriorated into the worst tackling and pressure side in the competition and in the modern AFL it's probably the most important facet of any teams performance. Clubs use tackles and tackling pressure as a KPI to indicate whether they've played well enough to win or not. I genuinely can't think of a time where I've walked away from a game in the last year or so and thought 'wow our tackling was ferocious'. We simply don't stick tackles anymore and yet we don't seem keen to address the problem?

Probably the second most frustrating aspect of our on field play at the moment.

Our first you ask?

Predictability!:

When you watch us with the football coming out of our backline in attack and kicking in from a point you know what's going to happen. Our 'Crowbot' reputation used to be worn like a medal of honour of sorts. No longer can it be said that being predictable and 'knowing' what we're going to do before we even do it is a good thing. Other clubs have figured us out. Shutdown Johncock, Bock and Mcleod whenever they're in the backline as they're the architects. Allow us the short kick in but pressure the ball carrier ALWAYS when we're moving out of our defensive 50 and most importantly roll the zone across the ground with the same speed at which we switch the football (which inevitably we'll always do at some point when pressured) and we'll almost always crumble.

It's frustrating how predictable we've become across the ground and how few alternatives we have to our main game plan. In the middle of the ground you often see an opposite number leave his man and run to the support player before our guys have even dished. Why? Because clubs have studied us and KNOW which option we'll take before we even take it. If Craig wishes to continue as the coach of our football club he needs to address this area and take away that predictability which other teams are now completely aware of.

Our ball movement has become staggered, sluggish and ineffective purely because clubs have taken away our regular avenues to goal and we're like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

So Where to from Here?

Now admittedly this has all been personal opinion but here's where some of you might really disagree with me. If you do, feel free to add your opinions

Aggressive Trading:

Tippett and Dangerfield. That's it. The only two names who would be on my 'untouchable list' at this very moment. If the right offer comes in and the chance to improve our list through moving players on comes along then I'm all for it. Not only should we respond to clubs interest but we need to start sounding players out too. I'm not talking ridiculous trades either (Newsflash kids - Jacky + our first Rounder doth not Gibbs + Carlton's first rounder make). If we get decent offers for guys the likes of Knights, Rutten, Thompson, Mackay, Johncock etc we need to seriously consider it. I'd even be willing to bundle Walker and a pick if it meant snaring an elite AFL footballer. Sometimes the most outlandish moves reap the greatest rewards (Hi Chris Groom!).

Everyone's looking on at the Gold Coast entering the competition with such angst but we should be approaching it as an opportunity to snare some decent draft picks by moving players on. We have a depth of KPP sized players at the moment and rightly or wrongly they're valued more highly across the league during trades. Lets utilise our strength and seek out players we feel will add to our next premiership tilt.

Off Field Cleanout:

Whether or not this club is led by Neil Craig is irrelevant. The time has come that this club had a cleanout. Fitness needs a massive rejig, the boys club mentality needs to bite the dust and some of our assistants need to assess whether or not this is the best environment for them. This season to date has been a disasterpiece and much of it can be put down to off field management of players and the gameplan rather than the players there to execute it. At the halfway mark of the season our off field management as a whole would have to be graded as a big fat F minus. This leads on to the next key aspect.

Ruthlessness:

We're a big club so lets start acting like it. Hunt out of contract players and staff from other clubs, be ruthless in the handling of business affairs, give our little brothers across town nothing but take whatever we can get (cue: This...is....SPARTA!). We have this nice guy attitude which is good to a point, but how about we starting throwing a bit of weight around?

Show a bit of initiative AFC and start acting like the big boy in town instead of the bullied redhead.

Change in the Recruiting Mentality:

Kinda goes hand in hand with taking a more aggressive mentality. I'm not asking the club to be reckless and show their hand but year after year we see at least 2 or 3 players emerge as very good AFL footballers that have either starred in their respective local leagues or stagnated on another AFL list. Fremantle have become kings of this and as a result have two excellent footballers in Broughton and Barlow. J-Pod is another similar guy for Geelong (although I could probably kick 5 a week with the delivery that dude is getting).

Rather than solely targetting athletic ability, I'd love to see us lose the affinity with 'tween' KPP's and blokes who can run 4 marathons in one day and instead devoting just one pick mid to late each national draft on a more mature guy who is tearing it up in the SANFL/WAFL/VFL. I'm not suggesting reaching for these types of players over a guy who we've done loads of homework on and are certain will become a player, merely that if it's a choice between a local league star and a guy who's never seen a football before but pushed Haile Gebrselassie for 3/4trs of the Boston Marathon then let's lean with the footballer for a change.

Developing alternate gameplans:

But we have 5 Gameplans already? Stevens Forward (with everyone else as named), Stevens back (with everyone else as named), Mcleod forward (with everyone else as named), Mcleod in the middle (with everyone else as named) and Mcleod back..... etc

I don't mean one player moved around, nor do I mean 'hmm, we tried switching it that way but it didn't work so lets switch it back!'. I mean a genuine alternative to our mainstay gameplan. I mean preparing 2 or 3 different tactics that are so different from one another that you genuinely notice a difference right across the board. Heck I'm fine if they don't even work I'd just love to see a deviance from the stubborn persistence with our one failing gameplan.

We have no answers atm to teams who shutdown our plan A and sadly for us it seems to be happening quite a bit. I'd actually love to see someone like a Laidley at our club who focussed solely on the tactical side of things and nothing else.

Change the Logo Back:

We all said no good could come from the 'Mighty Adelaide Velociraptors' logo didn't we AFC? The superstitious voodoo witch inside me says it's the logo's fault. The aesthetic Derek Zoolander in me says it's really really ridiculously fugly and the footy supporter in me says we look like we copied the Hawks, Eagles and Baltimore Ravens and failed in the process. Please just change it back :( (I know it won't happen but a guy can dream)

........ ZE END!

So this is what I've come up with in an afternoon. Thoughts/Comments/Slander/TL;DR? Any glaring omissions/inclusions? Disgusted at my lack of acknowledging Brian Donnelly's hidden potential to tear the game of AFL apart at the seams? Add on from here. My rantings are just a starting point. :p

BTW I await Jenny's positive spin on every point I've made with glee (Joking Jen ;) )

Nice work Rave, I agree with most of what you say, with 1 exception...

I wouldn't put Johncock (if you discount time lost to injury) in the "under-performing seniors} category, I reckon he's been playing pretty well for us this year (well, when he's been out there anyway...)

Good read - NOT too long, a topic like this deserves careful consideration. :thumbsu:

It'll take time to respond in detail, but 2 quick points:
  1. Agree with the aggressive trading concept but with a caveat: there must be a larger core of happy players who get along with each other reserved with Danger and Tips to ensure future club stability. I don't mean reserve all our best - aggressive trading means putting up big names. But when trading is over, we need a team, not just players.
  2. The "external, independent review" (thanks Carl :D) is a must. All departments, no exceptions.

Nice work Rave, I agree with most of what you say, with 1 exception...

I wouldn't put Johncock (if you discount time lost to injury) in the "under-performing seniors} category, I reckon he's been playing pretty well for us this year (well, when he's been out there anyway...)

Probably a bit harsh to lump him in there but really I expect more from him in terms of leadership (especially with the season we're currently having). His off field nanigans' aren't acceptable at the best of times but this season moreso than ever it's paramount he pulls his head in.

Good post. Just a few comments.

Patrick Dangerfield:

great disposal off both sides of the boot

Unsure here. Although he's decent on both sides, he's hardly an elite kick. Can get good distance and is quick get boot to ball, but he needs to learn how to use the ball when he has time and space. He also tends to spin the ball a bit high.

The performances (on field/off field and both) of 'Senior Players'

100% agree

Shane Warne being replaced as the 'Sheikh of Tweak'

Personally, I don't care about this. All clubs do it, its part of the job. I'm not 12 years old and don't really care about what the club says. Its amusing to me that so many supporters dwell on this fact, like voters up-in-arms about politicians twisting the truth for political ends.

Predictability!:

Our ball movement has become staggered, sluggish and ineffective purely because clubs have taken away our regular avenues to goal and we're like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

I agree with the assessment of symptoms, but not the diagnosis. It isn't the team plan to go sideways/backwards every time. Its simply that we haven't created the options in attack or have the audacity or capacity to break the lines. Much more about personnel and implementation (ie lack of pace, elite kicks) than strategy imo.

Aggressive Trading:

Everyone's looking on at the Gold Coast entering the competition with such angst but we should be approaching it as an opportunity to snare some decent draft picks by moving players on. We have a depth of KPP sized players at the moment and rightly or wrongly they're valued more highly across the league during trades. Lets utilise our strength and seek out players we feel will add to our next premiership tilt.

Don't entirely disagree here, particularly in terms of trading some of our KPP depth to the GC. I strongly agree. However, I don't really buy the claim that Adelaide has been passive traders in the Rendell-era. Its an exaggeration based on NC's statement that he is reluctant to trade. I think that's a fair comment for a coach and a desirable attribute in that they want to mould and foster the list they have. However, ultimately its up to Rendell & Harper and I back Rendell at least to make the right trade if necessary. Whilst a number of clubs went for it last year, I didn't really see many options, although we did try to coax McKenzie it was his insistence on repaying Melbourne's faith and the Demons refusing to deal, not our failure to be aggressive.

Off Field Cleanout:

There definitely needs to be a thorough genuine independent review. Clean-out is an over-statement, but there should be a few heads to roll.

Ruthlessness:

I hate these vagaries.

Firstly: Campbell, Gill, Jaensch, Wright, Schmidt are all mature recruits. In addition we've traded in Symes and Moran (admittedly he's more athlete than player). So I think pointing out a couple successes at other clubs is an over-statement. However Freo's drafting of broughton, Barlow & Silvagni will definitely make a few question their approaches. Part of the problem is scouting prioritisation. In Victoria for example TAC is played at the same time as VFL, so scouts don't usually get a chance to watch too much VFL and typically those VFL players who are picked up go to their AFL affiliated clubs where different club officials will get the inside word on them and see all of their games: Pods & Geelong, Skipworth & Bendigo etc.

Developing alternate gameplans:

I'd rather see something constitutive here. A return to our late-2009 form would be better. And that was much more about execution than planning.

Change the Logo Back:

Yes, oh God yes. I do like the new clash guernsey design and even the notion of the flashy logo, but the logo itself is shocking.

That is quite easily the most logical and rational post I have seen on here in a while (hard to disagree with close to all of it, especially the aggressive trading).:thumbsu: Although, one point I don't agree with is the 'spin' myth developed over this season, all coaches are guilty of it, and unless you are naive enough to believe most of it, then who cares?
Good work RS. O, and blah blah blah tl;dr.;)

A great read Rave and thanks for taking the time to put your thoughts down. I agree on most points but wanted to add a few things to the "off field clean out section" - it's hard to say without being on the "inside" but Adelaide has always had a reputation as a "old boys club" and the question is , does that impact our ability to win premierships? I can only compare it to the early 2000's when I has a little bit to do with the Brisbane Lions during their premiership years - I was always so impressed with the high calibre men and women that worked there at all levels and departments and from all walks of life - all were definitely at the top of their game. There was a great vibe around the place and a lot of energy and they loved their jobs. I always left the place thinking it would be a great place to work. What's it like to work at West Lakes?

Finally, I thought Geelong President, Frank Costa made a big (but really brave) call when he ordered the comprehensive review of all operations - both on and off field. Perhaps it's time we did the same as a matter of best practice??

And Rave, no mention of the Board, any thoughts?

Great write up:thumbsu:, agree with a lot of the things you have mentioned here. Just a few I would like to touch on.

Tackling:

Gather round kids and let me tell you a tale of the good old days. The days where tackles used to stick, where we were renowned for our hardness at the man and ball, where when we tackled a player they hurt. Those were the good old days and this is now.
This is something I agree with greatly, I think this has been a problem of ours for a few seasons actually. We get the tackles but not the ones that hurt and make the other team get up slowly and also make them want to avoid been tackled. We need to make others fear been tackled so we can force them into making errors and this also makes the zone so much stronger when you have players nailing down tackles.

In the end this comes down to what many have questioned in a long time with our aggression in the game, not sticking up for our players and trying to put a bit of fear into the other teams. I am not saying going out belting/snipering players but just get into their heads and play with their minds to make them second guess their own skills is something which can help greatly on the field and its an area in which I think we have pretty much forgotten completely.

Predictability!:

When you watch us with the football coming out of our backline in attack and kicking in from a point you know what's going to happen.

This is something which has drove me nuts watching the Crows for the past few years. Everyone knows what we are going to do and we never react when something is not working. Now what I am about to mention is a fair while ago (maybe 06-07ish) when we lost to Richmond, back then I noticed a big error in our game day coaching where we were playing a zone style of football whilst down so Wallace had his team play kick to kick/ keepings off for a fair chunk of the match and we never reacted to play man on man to stop this, we just left it like this for the whole day which resulted in us losing. Fast forward to last year and the same thing is still happening, such as when we play Collingwood where their game style is to kick it down either side of the ground to get it to their forwards and our defensive game plan is to push them to the sides (working to their advantage/ letting them play their game plan) this has happened for a number of years which has resulted in Collingwood beating us fair more times then we have beaten them, because we plan to their advantage and don't mix it up.

After our finals lost this is something which the players brought up to Craig and something in which the Adelaide coaches and players planned to fix but whatever they worked on in the pre season either was hardly a big change or the list in which we have are not able to do this 'b plan' which is pretty useless.

I really hope it is something which we look into again this pre season and have a much better 'b plan' and something which is much different to our 'a plan' so when we switch them around we can see the intended effect of it.

Aggressive Trading:

Tippett and Dangerfield. That's it. The only two names who would be on my 'untouchable list' at this very moment.

Again I am agreeing with you, I feel we will see us enter the trade week with a different approach to how we have approached it in the previous years. We would be pretty crazy to ignore trading again, we could benefit greatly from it. Whilst I am sure none of us want to see any of our favorite players leave the club the club has to make the hard call and try to improve our team and if that means trading a favorite so be it, something has to be done.

Also RE the draft, I would rather our club draft players on who they think will improve the side the most rather then picking whoever they think is the best player even if we don't need them (look at how many talls we have drafted in the last few years that will struggle to nail a spot in the 22 and how few midfielders we have drafted which could have a much better chance at getting a spot in that 22). I remember reading that we did not think we needed Taila but we drafted him because he was the next best option available, what is the point of using our first round pick on someone who won't have the chance to help benefit our club? I am not saying Taila will be a dud player or anything (have not seen enough of him to make a call either way) but I would like our club to be drafting players who will benefit our side the most even if that means they are not the very best player we could pick.

Anyways, just thought I would add to some of your points with how I feel on the topic.

Very good write up and read RS:thumbsu: Very honest and very much on the money.

Clear the decks get ruthless and lets start giving the supporters some answers rather than spin, we ar not pathetic we are supporters of this club and our hearts all bleed blue, gold and red and we wont the best for the AFC, we dont want spin, we dont want lies, we dont want rubbish, we want success, premierships, to be feared.

Supporters pay money to the club through many avenues ticket sales memberships merchandise, travelling interstate, repay the supporters faith in the club they have invested in.

Great post RS. Agree with the vast majority of it - esp the reviews (not sure it needs a total clean out - but that's what a review would determine!).

Some extra thoughts from my point of view:

Leadership Group
Largely ineffectual, on the field, this year for mine. I'd like us to consider a change to the leadership group structure (after the review ;) ) and definitely want to see some guys in there who inspire on the field.

Less Politically Correct
I often feel some of the things mentioned: not being aggresive on and off field; the spin; lack of ruthlessness; Goody's pressers ;) are a result of an overly 'politically correct' culture they are cultivating down at the club. Personally its not to my taste and I'd like to see us be less sociable at times ;) Still in a professional manner of course ;)

And for those saying the 'spin' shouldn't worry us.. it wouldn't if we had a deliberately elusive, gruff and political beast of a coach aka Malthouse. But Craigy has always said his pressers are his opportunity to 'talk to the supporters'. They club motto is about being 'inclusive'. If they could do a better job of that by spinning s**t to us less I'd be much happier. Either that or stfu about the claiming thats how they operate.

I agree Allefgib too much effort being put into be nice and perfect, screw that s**t at the end of the day this is a Football Club not a caviare club.

First thing that needs to change is our club song right from the 'were known as the Adelaide Crows, to even the way its sung and all 'go crows NTTAWWTy s**t at the end of the song, needs to be taken back to we are the Mighty Adelaide crows and sung by someone that puts gusto in it.

More toughness on and off the field, if that involves a top to bottom cleanout Im all for it:thumbsu:

First thing that needs to change is our club song right from the 'were known as the Adelaide Crows, to even the way its sung and all 'go crows NTTAWWTy s**t at the end of the song, needs to be taken back to we are the Mighty Adelaide crows and sung by someone that puts gusto in it.

Yeah, that would be top of most people's list too. :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really well written, and thoroughly thought out post RS. Thought provoking, debate enabling - all good. I might not agree with some of it, but that's what debates are all about. I want to re-read it in the morning when my brain isn't so fatigued and really put some thought into a response. I think a mid-season review on each and every player is probably a worthwhile chore as well - giving us a "bigger picture".

Good read - NOT too long, a topic like this deserves careful consideration. :thumbsu:

It'll take time to respond in detail, but 2 quick points:
  1. Agree with the aggressive trading concept but with a caveat: there must be a larger core of happy players who get along with each other reserved with Danger and Tips to ensure future club stability. I don't mean reserve all our best - aggressive trading means putting up big names. But when trading is over, we need a team, not just players.
  2. The "external, independent review" (thanks Carl :D) is a must. All departments, no exceptions.

Would love to see it.......will never happen

Really good post Rave Slave, thanks for taking the time to put it together :thumbsu:

Agree on all your positives. Important to recognise them - easy to focus on the negatives!

Have added some comments below. Not quite as long as your OP but I tried.

Shane Warne being replaced as the 'Sheikh of Tweak':

Congratulations to the Adelaide Football Club's coaching staff you're officially the newly crowned 'Kings of Spin'.
Not sure if I agree on all the 'spin' talk. When you're losing it doesn't matter what you say. You're still losing so you're just wrong. Even if the club came out with some stronger messages that acknowledged the errors we have made, if we didn't follow it up with some wins this season or next we'd just say they're "all talk and no action." Winning is the only language that is acceptable and I have some sympathy for the club in this regard.

Fitness and the Pre-Season:

Who's responsible?
Fitness is a popular 'whipping boy' when results are poor. The alternatives are that the players aren't good at playing football or the coaches aren't good at coaching football. The latter means a major upheavel, the former means your club is rooted for a LONG time and the dreaded five year plan might be on the cards. So either of these conclusions are avoided at all costs when reviewing what went wrong.

I'm not sure Schwerdty and co are doing things too differently to the other clubs but I can see him being made the escape goat (who was the Port shmoe who immortalised that term?) and getting pushed out at the end of the season while the coaching staff and players remain relatively untouched.

Tackling:
:thumbsu:
Definitely a major shortcoming of ours this season. And I'd add our inability to break a tackle to the list too.

Predictability!:

When you watch us with the football coming out of our backline in attack and kicking in from a point you know what's going to happen.
Good call. I mentioned in the Collingwood minor round loss late last year that with some of our patented switches of play, that had up until then proven so effective, that the Pies seemed to be almost waiting for us. What once was a proactive, space-creating move soon became a slow, plodding stumble into an ambush. And that has continued this season.

Using Geelong as a bench mark, they are extremely varied in the way they move the ball. They will chip the ball around if required. They aren't immune to a slow build up. They are prepared to kick to a contest if required and back their player in. And of course they will run the ball with handball at pace. This gets all the press but it's important to note that they only run the ball with handball when that is the best way to attack the opposition. It isn't a default option. It is a decision. They know when to go and when to whoa.

We seem to have two mindsets that we use for quarters at a time in a blanket, one-size-fits-all approach:-
1) defensive, tentative, safe... move the ball slowly, kick it backwards
or 2) play on at all costs, handballhandballhandball, fastfastfast... often as a reaction to playing like 1) in the previous quarter

We don't seem to be able to recognise when we have an opportunity to move the ball quickly or when a bit more pragmatism is required. Even when we move the ball 'successfully' and it finishes in a scoring shot there often seems to be a high element of luck or a brilliant piece of individual skill involved along the way. Simple, repeatable method on the other hand... very short supply.

Off Field Cleanout:

Whether or not this club is led by Neil Craig is irrelevant.
If we're going to continue with NC in 2011 (and beyond) then I agree with this 100%. If we are going to stay the same at the top then we need to bring in some freshness in other areas. New faces, new ideas, different people for the players to impress.

This doesn't necessarily mean that Hart, Bickley and co are bad coaches. Just that I can't imagine their messages or ideas are too different from Neil's and certainly they are somewhat familiar to the players.

Rather than solely targetting athletic ability, I'd love to see us lose the affinity with 'tween' KPP's and blokes who can run 4 marathons in one day and instead devoting just one pick mid to late each national draft on a more mature guy who is tearing it up in the SANFL/WAFL/VFL.
Agree here although I don't think it necessarily needs to be a mature age player. I would be happy enough to see us draft a rego 17/18 year old with genuine footy smarts. Players like Porplyzia often slip in the draft due to their lack of fitness or size but they can be oh so valuable.

I'd be happy with whoever leads the TAC Cup in clearances this year, even if it is a little pork chop whose thighs chafe.

Good call. I mentioned in the Collingwood minor round loss late last year that with some of our patented switches of play, that had up until then proven so effective, that the Pies seemed to be almost waiting for us. What once was a proactive, space-creating move soon became a slow, plodding stumble into an ambush. And that has continued this season.

Using Geelong as a bench mark, they are extremely varied in the way they move the ball. They will chip the ball around if required. They aren't immune to a slow build up. They are prepared to kick to a contest if required and back their player in. And of course they will run the ball with handball at pace. This gets all the press but it's important to note that they only run the ball with handball when that is the best way to attack the opposition. It isn't a default option. It is a decision. They know when to go and when to whoa.

We seem to have two mindsets that we use for quarters at a time in a blanket, one-size-fits-all approach:-
1) defensive, tentative, safe... move the ball slowly, kick it backwards
or 2) play on at all costs, handballhandballhandball, fastfastfast... often as a reaction to playing like 1) in the previous quarter

We don't seem to be able to recognise when we have an opportunity to move the ball quickly or when a bit more pragmatism is required. Even when we move the ball 'successfully' and it finishes in a scoring shot there often seems to be a high element of luck or a brilliant piece of individual skill involved along the way. Simple, repeatable method on the other hand... very short supply..

Concur with this Carl. I've lost count of the number of times I've yelled out, 'Come on guys THINK about your football.' this year. It's so frustrating to see our guys persisting with things that are not working and then change to something else.. to the point they'll sometimes persist with that once it stops working as well.

It's the whole inability, as a club, to react quickly that I think is one of our biggest weaknesses. In the office, in the box and on the field as you describe here. I really think this is one area that if Craigy really focussed on improving within himself would have a massive flow on effect to the box, and field, during game days. Would make a significant difference if we can improve our ability to be decisive even in a reactive matter, let alone be proactive with that kind of stuff. Take a few risks and respond to instinct more! Allow players who are naturally gifted, instinctive footballers, to play that brand of footy.

As i said somewhere else - by the time the next 2 changes of the game have occurred we're often still sitting trying to figure out the best metrics to measure the previous change!

I'd be happy with whoever leads the TAC Cup in clearances this year, even if it is a little pork chop whose thighs chafe.

hahaha.. nice. Would a Diesel be effective in today's footy? I think yes.

Tackling:

Gather round kids and let me tell you a tale of the good old days. The days where tackles used to stick, where we were renowned for our hardness at the man and ball, where when we tackled a player they hurt. Those were the good old days and this is now. We've fast deteriorated into the worst tackling and pressure side in the competition and in the modern AFL it's probably the most important facet of any teams performance. Clubs use tackles and tackling pressure as a KPI to indicate whether they've played well enough to win or not. I genuinely can't think of a time where I've walked away from a game in the last year or so and thought 'wow our tackling was ferocious'. We simply don't stick tackles anymore and yet we don't seem keen to address the problem?

Probably the second most frustrating aspect of our on field play at the moment.

There was an article in The Advertiser last week about some martial arts expert/former athlete guy who is being used down at the club once or twice a week to help us with our tackling. I think its relatively new thing but hopefully we'll start seeing some results in this area soon :thumbsu:

Well done Rave Slave that is the best post I have seen on BF and have covered virtually every issue and points .
Definitely needs a independant review of whole club in all areas but doubt will occur .
We have just kept going down that path believing the hype about our training methods , Coachs standing , recruiting and trading philosophy and everyone didnt want to rock the boat even not making hard decisions like retiring players end of last season .
Appointing ex players as Ass. coaches and as posted previously guys with same ideas etc and basically yes men . We know what happened to Jonas .
Although many posters questioned RS about the spin aspect and agree we have to put up with that every day in life. I guess the point is that we started the season hoping for grand final to where we were 0-6 etc etc and still havent heard club say .
Yes we have dropped the ball badly and will have to make changes etc to get club back on track. It is almost a arrogant it is not our fault feel about it.
Like blaming injuries but apart from Otten type injuries why all the other injuries and why do we injure virtually every recruit in first year .
We treat Rendall as the messiah ok done a bit better with top rnd picks than Fantasia but really have we covered the retiring players or what is the heart and sole of clubs these days the running mid fielders footballers.
And sure Otten and Danger look to becoming star players but jury out on other top 2- 3 rnd picks and even Davis showing something but not anywhere near impact others in that draft have had.
But more to the point RS is saying is we have to get smarter and more aggressive to get back on track at season end with trading and drafting.
Guess iot just boils down to just wanting club to make some hard decisions to turn it all around

Nice analysis mate.

I don't believe the mature age secong tier league guys should be looked at any more or less than we currently do though.

We treat Rendall as the messiah ok done a bit better with top rnd picks than Fantasia but really have we covered the retiring players or what is the heart and sole of clubs these days the running mid fielders footballers.
To be honest, it wasn't Rendell's job to replace the retiring stars. Rendell's first draft was the 2007 draft, so even if his draftees had played every game since draft day they'd still only have 55 games under their belts. Dangermouse (31 games) is the most experienced Rendell draftee to date, Otten (26 games) would be just ahead of him if he hadn't missed the entire 2010 season due to injury. This is hardly surprising, as the club likes to bring our players into the team slowly, after they prove themselves in the SANFL.

The replacements for Goodwin, McLeod and Edwards should have already been on our list and well into their development long before Rendell took over as our Recruitment Manager.

The veteran replacements were drafted by James Fantasia, who was our recruitment manager until the 2006 draft. Fantasia DID draft a number of players (intended for the midfield) who now form the core of our team - VB, Knights, Mackay, Douglas, Vince, Porplyzia. Unfortunately, these are the very same players who have provided the least in 2010 - some through injury, some through a lack of fitness associated with injury, one through sheer laziness. Douglas is the notable exception. Fantasia also drafted a couple of others who just didn't work out - Campbell & Pfeiffer.

Not sure if I agree on all the 'spin' talk. When you're losing it doesn't matter what you say. You're still losing so you're just wrong. Even if the club came out with some stronger messages that acknowledged the errors we have made, if we didn't follow it up with some wins this season or next we'd just say they're "all talk and no action." Winning is the only language that is acceptable and I have some sympathy for the club in this regard.

Totally agree here, the spin subject is way over stated. The club has to say something- the aftermatch press conference is not optional. We're 2-8 and theres not alot that can be said to change that now or even to explain how we got there. The club will be damned whatever they say until we start winning again. Forget the statements this year- the season is gone, we have to salvage what we can and start to prepare for next year and beyond.

To be honest, it wasn't Rendell's job to replace the retiring stars. Rendell's first draft was the 2007 draft, so even if his draftees had played every game since draft day they'd still only have 55 games under their belts. Dangermouse (31 games) is the most experienced Rendell draftee to date, Otten (26 games) would be just ahead of him if he hadn't missed the entire 2010 season due to injury. This is hardly surprising, as the club likes to bring our players into the team slowly, after they prove themselves in the SANFL.

The replacements for Goodwin, McLeod and Edwards should have already been on our list and well into their development long before Rendell took over as our Recruitment Manager.

The veteran replacements were drafted by James Fantasia, who was our recruitment manager until the 2006 draft. Fantasia DID draft a number of players (intended for the midfield) who now form the core of our team - VB, Knights, Mackay, Douglas, Vince, Porplyzia. Unfortunately, these are the very same players who have provided the least in 2010 - some through injury, some through a lack of fitness associated with injury, one through sheer laziness. Douglas is the notable exception. Fantasia also drafted a couple of others who just didn't work out - Campbell & Pfeiffer.
Very rarely disagree with your views Vader and understand what saying but my point is if clubs for various reasons get it wrong i.e . not up to it, always injured etc dont they have to constantly update to strengthen squad if didnt get it right first time. Surely you agree we have wrong mix currently of KPP -- small ruckman , uitlity type players to what is the heart and sole of every good team running midfielders currently and a lot of this running midfielder player recruited over last 2 drafts are having a impact in other clubs
I understand some of those were out of our drafting reach but some were.
I realize that nobody could have expected our fall from grace this year that has inflated these problems though think most of us thought that
giving all the veterans and Hentschell another year wasnt clever move.
I can be patient if see this draft we pick up some future strong mid fielders and hope can keep on the field ( knights ) or on track (vince)etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back