Where to live in Perth.

Remove this Banner Ad

For that price in Perth, here's the markets you'll most likely find yourself in;

Kelmscott, specifically the hills side. Avoid any area west of the train station there. (Armadale, Camillo, Seville Grove, Brookdale - stay clear).

Mt Nasura, next to Kelmscott, some great views. Low crime. Would recommend for the price.

Mandurah it depends where you buy. I assume Greenfields is the cheap suburb you've seen down there. 50/50, there's worse around.

As far as the Rockingham side of things goes, I know people who live in Warnbro and Safety Bay and haven't had problems. Not to say they're not bad areas, Rockingham itself is a running joke for how bad the area is.

City of Gosnells - Stay clear of Gosnells & Maddington. Probably Langford as well. And if you're not a fan of homeswest (public housing) avoid Kenwick. Thornlie, Beckenham & Huntingdale are your best bets here.

Cannington/East Cannington, Queens Park - avoid Cannington. Queens Park has the potential to skyrocket in the future though as someone else mentioned in another thread.

City of Kwinana (Orelia, Leda, Parmelia specifically) if you love drugs this is apparently your place to be. No comment otherwise as I've never really been there.

Then there's Balga, Girrawheen, Koondoola - never lived there but heard horror stories, possibly avoid

And finally, Midland, Bellevue, Midvale & Stratton - avoid the first three here. Stratton is cheap but I've never really been into that suburb, no comment.

Hopefully this helps. If you have an extra 50k or so to spend, you can get some decent places in decent areas.
Thanks heaps. 400k Is over budget by 20k, I saw some in Kelmscott and reminded me of elizabeth in Adelaide.

Thanks heaps. 400k Is over budget by 20k, I saw some in Kelmscott and reminded me of elizabeth in Adelaide.
The hills of Kelmscott have some amazing views. Close to some bush tracks if you're into mountain biking or bush walks. I recently saw a house on Brookton Hwy for 320k over looking fields and forests.

Would consider Rockingham in the 400k range. Beach location, big changes happening on the forshore with raft of cafes and bars opening up and still close enough to the city. You get crime everywhere and need to secure your house accordingly.

Perth always sucked and now it's forever overpriced and still sucks. Move to Adelaide. At least there you won't be thousands of kilometres from anywhere more interesting than a South West town with a bakery.

Perth always sucked and now it's forever overpriced and still sucks. Move to Adelaide. At least there you won't be thousands of kilometres from anywhere more interesting than a South West town with a bakery.
Adelaide an SA I like but the only thing it really has over Perth is being cheaper. Not sure what's so great about being close to places like Victoria, apart from a heap of AFL footy and a bit a OK city architecture the place is mostly a dreary mass of meh. Comfortably the most overrated part of Australia (and I've been to Hervey Bay in QLD..)

Adelaide an SA I like but the only thing it really has over Perth is being cheaper. Not sure what's so great about being close to places like Victoria, apart from a heap of AFL footy and a bit a OK city architecture the place is mostly a dreary mass of meh. Comfortably the most overrated part of Australia (and I've been to Hervey Bay in QLD..)
You haven't really explored Adelaide & it's surrounds then IMO. ;)

What about Helena Valley/Parkville/Foothills area. Yeah, you're ages from the beach, but closer to the swan valley, and you'll find a lot of space out there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any thoughts on Roleystone. Looks nice. I am looking for something 1200sqm minimum. Nice house.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
As someone who loves the Hills, I'd recommend Roleystone, the only thing that may deter some is that your closest major shopping centre is Armadale which has a bad rep. But that won't affect where you live at all.

Also why almost a quarter acre as a minimum? Space between neighbours? Have some animals like Horses? Social status reasons?

Roleystone is beautiful, and fantastic value for money for what you get. Not sure you can even get a block under 1,000 sqm given the zoning.

Downsides are bushfire risk and the maintenance that goes with having a bush block, and it's not close to anything. I wouldn't want to live there and work north of the river. If you work in the city the commute isn't that bad given how many people live in the ever extending north/south corridor.

Roleystone is beautiful, and fantastic value for money for what you get. Not sure you can even get a block under 1,000 sqm given the zoning.

Downsides are bushfire risk and the maintenance that goes with having a bush block, and it's not close to anything. I wouldn't want to live there and work north of the river. If you work in the city the commute isn't that bad given how many people live in the ever extending north/south corridor.

As someone who loves the Hills, I'd recommend Roleystone, the only thing that may deter some is that your closest major shopping centre is Armadale which has a bad rep. But that won't affect where you live at all.

Also why almost a quarter acre as a minimum? Space between neighbours? Have some animals like Horses? Social status reasons?

I hate being so close to neighbours. I find it depressing being able to hear your neighbours from inside the house, and if you look at anything within the urban areas they are packed.

I like a bit of space, room to move around. I noticed it's only 35minutes to Roleystone from the CBD. The drive to the airport is relatively straight forward. I'm not sure what public transport is like to Kelmscott etc.

Bushfire plan in that area is probably something to look at I guess.

These are the sort of properties in the area. That second one is ******* awesome but at least 100k out of my price range.

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-roleystone-127105334
https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-glen+forrest-128328106
https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-roleystone-127751794

I like the cut of your jib.

Glen Forest, Stoneville, Parkerville etc are great areas for that country feel but they are a bit further out (at least they feel that way, may be wrong here) and Roleystone is, as Scotland said, absolutely great value for money. The next suburbs out from Roleystone (Pickering Brook, Karragullen, Bedfordale) can offer up the same thing for thousands of $$$ more.

Ie bushfires, there was a serious one there about 7 or so years ago that destroyed a lot of houses.

Armadale, the council is free and easy, the blocks are big with lots of trees, you can put your garbage cans out in your underwear or even naked, no one is going to make and fuss and you never have to worry about burglaries because your neighbors are the buglers and they never work at home.

Armadale, the council is free and easy, the blocks are big with lots of trees, you can put your garbage cans out in your underwear or even naked, no one is going to make and fuss and you never have to worry about burglaries because your neighbors are the buglers and they never work at home.
Solid logic.

You forgot the mention the house affordability

I live in Mt Lawley and on a main road I still put my garbage out half naked. :moustache:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back