Analysis Where to play Maynard and the flow on

Remove this Banner Ad

Just look at Jack Martin, he’s still as skinny as he was when he debuted lol.

At the end of the day if JS is tough enough, he’ll play. He has a good mix of inside and outside and for me I don’t think it’s going to be a problem.
Daisy was as skinny as a rake in his first year and he played 15 games. WHE is still wafer thin. The whole idea that skinny guys can’t play regular seniors is silly, and really only applies to underdeveloped talls who need to develop their core strength to play key position.

Can we legitimately base a change of position for Maynard only after one game?
Consistency is key, something we do heavily lack as a side

Your clutching at straws Maynard has shown he has the ability to kick goals.

If Maynard has demonstrated that he is a goal kicking midfielder, so has Josh Smith. Yes Maynard's demonstrated some of the attributes, but he's yet to demonstrate that he is a consistent goal kicker, he's yet to demonstrate he's a consistent midfielder. And he's definitely not demonstrated that he is a goal kicking midfielder. I'm not sure how you can be arguing the point.

I'm not criticising him. I'm a fan, but let's not call him something he's not yet.

The only need I see is the need for him to prove he’s actually senior quality before declaring him in the best 22.

I've made my feelings fairly clear regarding our need for speed and skill off our half back. I wanted Saad. The club went Murray. Therefore, my best 22 is one where Murray is in it. You don't have to agree.

I DGAF. As long as he is on the park, I’m happy. Absolutely loving the Space Cadet and hope he had a long, successful career in the B&W.
EB375D57-0276-4C07-8366-0BDC2BB9073E.jpeg

I like his strength and kicking off HB. I can see the argument for trialling him midfield but don't see it as a great need. In 2018 we should have Pendles, Treloar, Sidey, Adams, Wells, De Goey as our main midfield squad and De Goey is the one who needs to have a lot more midfield minutes in 2018. There are a big list of other potential midfield contributors including another big body in Wills. Once De Goey gets his extra time I don't see space or a huge need for Maynard in the mids. De Goey is similar but significantly better

More value off HB in our current list. Maybe mid time in seasons ahead. Suspect the coaching panel is planning a mid role.

I like his strength and kicking off HB. I can see the argument for trialling him midfield but don't see it as a great need. In 2018 we should have Pendles, Treloar, Sidey, Adams, Wells, De Goey as our main midfield squad and De Goey is the one who needs to have a lot more midfield minutes in 2018. There are a big list of other potential midfield contributors including another big body in Wills. Once De Goey gets his extra time I don't see space or a huge need for Maynard in the mids. De Goey is similar but significantly better

More value off HB in our current list. Maybe mid time in seasons ahead. Suspect the coaching panel is planning a mid role.
Clarkson promoted the idea of players being able to play in multiple positions. I am all for experimenting with players if a case for it can be made.
Defense I am not too fussed about to be honest. We got some good players down there and good leadership too with Dunn and Howe.
On a more sobering note, our midfield won't play all season. Wells only 15 games max, Pendles will be rested a few times and a suspension for on/off field in Adams, Sidey or DeGoey is more likely then not, so there will be enough chances for Maynard to play.
And a troika of raging bulls like Adams, De Goey and Maynard in the midfield does look promising.

Clarkson promoted the idea of players being able to play in multiple positions. I am all for experimenting with players if a case for it can be made.
Defense I am not too fussed about to be honest. We got some good players down there and good leadership too with Dunn and Howe.
On a more sobering note, our midfield won't play all season. Wells only 15 games max, Pendles will be rested a few times and a suspension for on/off field in Adams, Sidey or DeGoey is more likely then not, so there will be enough chances for Maynard to play.
And a troika of raging bulls like Adams, De Goey and Maynard in the midfield does look promising.
I can see that and am not against him in the midfield just leaning to HB. If a spots there for him as amid will be interested to see what he can make of it

I sense they are going to give Murray opportunities early and use him, Crisp, Varcoe back with Appleby a possibility.

It leaves Maynard to go in to the middle or off a wing, probably at Phillips expense to start off with. He and De Goey into the middle probably frees Pendles and Treloar to be a bit more outside with Wells which will help us also.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back