Where to sit at the Gabba

Nov 4, 2007
G Town aka Sleepy Hollow
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hi Folks,

Please let me know the best option for viewing the round 1 game against West Caost.
We've taken out a Vic Family membership which gives us entry to the Gabba.
Is there a general admission area ?? and is it worth watching the game there??
Or would it be best for us to purchase reserved seats?
Tickets 2Adults and 2Children

Thanks
M.D. and family

ps On our trip to Gabba last year we purchased seats via Melb office as we didn't have membership, the boys had the Vic junior membership and we ended up behind the goals, top tier opposite the main scoreboard

Chasing the Dream

I'm Matthew Campbell from Sportsbet
Brisbane Lions - Pearce Hanley Player Sponsor 2014 Brisbane Lions - Ryan Harwood 2011 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2012 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Daniel Merrett 2008 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Simon Black 2010 Player Sponsor
Sep 29, 2004
The GABBA is my home
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Jets, Padres, USC, Utah Jazz
Got my seats this season changed to section 11.

Anyone else sit around there?

If you are looking for the best place to sit, I am pretty sure you should be able to get seats in sections 26-28ish which is not a bad place at all. Used to stand behind these sections, and it was a pretty good view, close to the interchange benches etc..

Fairly sure that they are grey on the map as they use them to sell on a match by match basis.

MD,

Re: reserved seating or Gen Admission - as a Gen Admission regular until recently, the only thing I'd watch if I were bringing the kids, is that the GA section is:-

1. right behind the School end sticks - if the ball goes up the other end for an extended period, expect the kids to start asking for their fair share of extraordinarily priced super-dogs with ridiculously expensive (and used to be free until recently) mustard/sauce;

2. next to the opposition cheer squad. In my single days, I loved the cross fire between the opposition cheer squad and me and the lads, but with a family of my own now (and the associated reduction of my threshold for copping and dishing out so many Richmond army middle finger salutes/profanity) I've moved to reserved seating.

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of families who sit in GA who are totally cool, but the exposure to drunken conflict, in my experience, is a little bit greater. So I'd be taking my fam to reserve seating.

Chasing the Dream

Brisbane Lions - Pearce Hanley Player Sponsor 2014 Brisbane Lions - Ryan Harwood 2011 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2012 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Daniel Merrett 2008 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Simon Black 2010 Player Sponsor
Sep 29, 2004
The GABBA is my home
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
MD,

2. next to the opposition cheer squad. In my single days, I loved the cross fire between the opposition cheer squad and me and the lads, but with a family of my own now (and the associated reduction of my threshold for copping and dishing out so many Richmond army middle finger salutes/profanity) I've moved to reserved seating.

hahaha,

I used to sit in section 29, right up against the bay of opposition supporters.

Let's just say I can see why you say it has worn thin. I gave up arguing with a Richmond 'supporter' who claims you know nothing about footy as you live in Queensland, all at the same time he is seeing his first game for 10 years. :eek:

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
hahaha,

I used to sit in section 29, right up against the bay of opposition supporters.

Let's just say I can see why you say it has worn thin. I gave up arguing with a Richmond 'supporter' who claims you know nothing about footy as you live in Queensland, all at the same time he is seeing his first game for 10 years. :eek:

As a fellow 29'er, I know exactly what you mean. It is as if by supporting another team they think they can shrug off the "ignorant Queenslander" stereotype. Most of them don't even know their player's names and are just there to cheer against the Lions.

Yeah mate... we heard your "where's Aker?" comment the first 3 times you said it... its not getting any funnier.

This will be our last year in 29.

Rawhead

Premiership Player
Feb 14, 2005
Bloody Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Barcelona FC
I dont really like GA, cant see field positioning properly. My favorite section is second tier eastern stand just off to the left of the goal. Have sat a few times 2nd tier midfield, but the seat prices just get too expensive for a poor uni student like me.

CoZi36

Premiership Player
Jan 7, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Roar, Bolton Wanderers
Since the start of the 2005 season I've sat in the same seat for every game (I haven't missed a match since the Richmond game in 2004). I sit in section 17 mid tier - all the people around me are nice and I've never had a problem there. I don't like sitting on the wing, I love behind the goal seats and up a level. Get to look at Braddles more ;) lol.

been in 64 for 3 years and love it. nice along the wing, top tier so you can see all the ground well, have vision of both screens if needed, and very quick to get in and out of seats as well as gate, with buses just outside and toliets and food outlets right near by as well

Chasing the Dream

Sep 29, 2004
The GABBA is my home
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
been in 64 for 3 years and love it. nice along the wing, top tier so you can see all the ground well, have vision of both screens if needed, and very quick to get in and out of seats as well as gate, with buses just outside and toliets and food outlets right near by as well

But you are miles away from the Hot Jam Donuts:D

knaf

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2008
Standing on Sacred Ground
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Thanks guys. Very useful info in this thread.

I am visiting the Gabba for my first game this year. Mrs knaf and I are coming up with some Carlton friends for the long weekend game.

Can anyone suggest a place to stay around the Gabba? We are looking for a two bedroom apartment. Say 2ks from the Gabba.

CoZi36

Premiership Player
Jan 7, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Roar, Bolton Wanderers
Knaf, the Gabba is close to the Brisbane CBD and Southbank, you can search Wot If for a hotel that meets your needs and wants. I found this site too: http://www.needitnow.com.au/Southbank_Brisbane_accommodation.html.

Also, purchase your tickets in advance through Ticketek and print them out. With a pre purchased ticket you get free public transport to and from the game - so it doesn't really matter where you stay. If your staying at Southbank get a Woolloongabba bus from the Southbank or Cultural Centre bus stations, if you are staying in the city then get a bus from the Queen St Mall Busway (in the Myer Centre) from A1 (100 or 110 bus route) or A3 (200 bus route). See the Translink website at http://www.transinfo.qld.gov.au/ for more information.

Lady Lawrence

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2002
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Got my seats this season changed to section 11.

Anyone else sit around there?

hey welcome to section 11 - been here now for about 10 years I think now, moved here from clem jones stand when they demolished it and decided to stay rather than move back to the southern.

come say hi, we'll be the couple with the baby in a red wrap, not sure which one of us will be wearing him yet!!

Chasing the Dream

Sep 29, 2004
The GABBA is my home
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
hey welcome to section 11 - been here now for about 10 years I think now, moved here from clem jones stand when they demolished it and decided to stay rather than move back to the southern.

come say hi, we'll be the couple with the baby in a red wrap, not sure which one of us will be wearing him yet!!

Hey, fellow section 11er:thumbsu:

Lady Lawrence has returned! :eek:

Was it the mention of jam donuts that lured you back? :p

No problems LL, I'll collect the jam donuts for us all:D

Chasing the Dream

Sep 29, 2004
The GABBA is my home
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

Chasing the Dream

Sep 29, 2004
The GABBA is my home
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
yup over the nappies and the spew I could still smell 'em!!

I been lurking and reading but not posting as it's too hard to type one handed!

Pretty sure I have read some posts from Collingwood supporters that type with one hand on the keyboard and the other doing something else.......

Also pretty sure that has nothing to do with holding children though:D

Back