Where were you 50 years ago when man landed on the moon?

Remove this Banner Ad

Come to think of it H, I hope you weren't one of those high school kids who used to beat us up when someone booted our footy off the small oval onto the volleyball court near the back entrance of the caf. That was around 1969.

No not me. I might have been a bit further away by then. More likely the music room at Melbourne University listening to Simon and Garfunkel.

But the volleyball court near the back entrance to the caf, does bring back some great memories.

I went to the library the other day. the young Librarian was up the ladder adjusting books. I looked up the ladder and I noticed she had no knickers on. She sprung me and said "what are you looking at? I'm just looking at the moon " was my reply. She then said "Well there was a man in it last night"

I went to the library the other day. the young Librarian was up the ladder adjusting books. I looked up the ladder and I noticed she had no knickers on. She sprung me and said "what are you looking at? I'm just looking at the moon " was my reply. She then said "Well there was a man in it last night"

Wrong thread, dad jokes to your left, third shelf over 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blimey, we veterans are copping it on here. For what it is worth, I was in what is now called Year 10 and watched it on a B&W TV with 600 others in the school hall. We were sent home after lunch. Leaving aside the Grand Finals in 1975, 1977, 1996 and 1999, it is still one of my favourite memories. Interesting that 50 years ago, those of us around watched it live from the Moon and the boffins were also able to measure Armstrong's heart rate as he came down the ladder! And yet today we still have radio and TV reception problems in parts of Melbourne. For the record, the Mighty Roos won the first 4...and then that many again for the rest of the season! The Moon landing was therefore a great distraction.

I was in the CBD at Brash’s watching the moon landing with hundreds of other folk on black and white TV’s. You could cut the atmosphere with hot butter. I was standing on a milk grate when an elderly lady tapped me on the shoulder and motioned for me to step down.
I proceeded to spit at her feet and started thrusting my hips to “Here Comes the Sun”. She soon got it. God bless her sole.

When Lance Armstrong descended the ladder from his rocket, there was a dry eye in the house. There were high-fives galore and the elderly lady behind me was boiling her eyes out. We shared a tear and ended up going back to The Hotel Spencer for a few sherbets and a chicken parma. I had a few Split the Bill tokens and so got my meal for half price. I’ll never forget it.
How much did half ton mum weigh back then?

I was on summer vacation heading into my Senior year of high school in a month or so. I had been staying with a younger brother at my grandmother's home on Lake Michigan in Kenosha Wisconsin, right on the Illinois/Wisconson border. My parents had driven up for the weekend with my other siblings. The lunar module landed in the afternoon and Armstrong took his first step on the moon at 9:56pm CDT Sunday July 20. We had the old black and white TV on the entire day. As soon as we all saw Armstrong take his first step, my parents and siblings left to drive back home, 90 miles away.

On August 13th I took my little brother into downtown Chicago to see the astronauts in a welcome back parade. I still have a "Welcome Home Apollo 11 Astronauts" pennant I bought that day for a souvenir.

It also was just two days previous to the landing, that Senator Ted Kennedy drove his car off the bridge at Chappaquiddick Island Massachusetts killing Mary Jo Kopechne, a "friend". That incident also changed the course of history most likely.

There should have been a Woman on the Moon back then as well.
Yeah, sure. Can you imagine a woman trying to land the lunar module?
24vimhw.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back