Where were you 50 years ago when man landed on the moon?

chairo

Team Captain
Dec 22, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah... what were you doing there? My brother lives in Champaign. There's another BF poster who lived in Urbana. He had been a professor at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.
My dad was studying for his doctorate there. We moved to Australia a couple of years later.

Be interesting to see what other dates people remember

Abe Lincoln
JFK
Diana
9/11

I reckon many North supporters would remember the Diana news breaking. We were walking through the MCG carpark (me with headphones on listening to the wireless) on a sunny warm afternoon to watch North v Collingwood when the radio broadcast was interrupted with the breaking news of Diana's death. I remember telling people around us as we walked in and hearing gasps galore as the news spread. It was even more memorable when the news was shown on the scoreboard.

I don't remember the Abe Lincoln assassination news breaking too well, but do recall thinking James Wilkes Booth was a crack shot!

9/11 was an unbelievable night (Melb time) flicking news channels.

Be interesting to see what other dates people remember

Abe Lincoln
JFK
Diana
9/11
Abe and I used to split rails with our mighty axes when we were neighbors in New Salem, Illinois in our early 20s. Nice guy, but awfully skinny.

kangaroo7

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Blimey, we veterans are copping it on here. For what it is worth, I was in what is now called Year 10 and watched it on a B&W TV with 600 others in the school hall. We were sent home after lunch. Leaving aside the Grand Finals in 1975, 1977, 1996 and 1999, it is still one of my favourite memories. Interesting that 50 years ago, those of us around watched it live from the Moon and the boffins were also able to measure Armstrong's heart rate as he came down the ladder! And yet today we still have radio and TV reception problems in parts of Melbourne. For the record, the Mighty Roos won the first 4...and then that many again for the rest of the season! The Moon landing was therefore a great distraction.

Same with me. I was in Form 5 (Year 10) and was sent home early to watch it on TV. Not much to see for a long time until Armstrong and Aldrin finally got of the module.

As for the season--North's 100th anniversary but not much to celebrate. Eight wins as mentioned and finished 8th (out of 12) New players that year were David Dench, Geoff Bryant and 5 or 6 others who didn't make much impact. How time flies.

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was just a kid in Thailand. Some of the monks in the village had previously' borrowed' some electrical equipment from the nearby US airforce base. They hooked up a wok and an old umbrella and managed to get a feed from Armed Forces Radio and TV Service. Got the power from one of their cars diesel motors and screened it on the windscreen.
The airforce heroes were given a day off from bombing those commies. After the landing they came over and gave us all freedom fries. The swamp buffalo loved them.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was contemplating the encouraging debut of a 17 year old kid named David Dench, and wondering whether he could keep the equally promising 18 year old Geoff Blethyn quiet when we played the scum in the upcoming match on Saturday.

He did.

Blethyn kicked 0:6.

North (reigning wooden spooners) beat the scum (previous years grand finalist) by 27 points at Arden Street (Best: McCarthy, B.Goodingham, Dwyer, Dowdle Goals: McCarthy 4, Kekovich 3, Wood 3, Dugdale 2)

Looks like Geoff forgot his glasses.

9/11 I watched unfold as it happened. Turned on the TV to watch the morning news like routine, and the first plane had already hit. Didn't really know what had happened, was just watching the live feed of the tower burning, when the second plane cruised across the screen and hit. I remember not really processing that it was terrorism right away. Your brain just didn't immediately go there like it does nowadays. Spent the morning riveted to the live feed. Watching the one tower burning, I remember knowing it was going to fall, and feeling really stressed about how many people must be still inside. Weirdly, no one on the news commentary was talking about it though. It was like they just assumed it would stay up. And then it imploded. Felt horrific.

Diana I remember clearly too, seeing the news feed as it happened. It felt surreal, and just so sad. Sad that we'd lost her, but also because she must have felt pain before she died. No one should have to leave this world in a violent way, and especially not someone like her.

Moon landing, I don't remember. My mum said I used to pull the knobs off the tv and put them in my mouth when I was teeny, so maybe I was doing that. I wouldn't quite have been a year old though, so maybe not.

gingernuts

binlicker
Apr 25, 2018
the southern end of the minyip swamp
AFL Club
Geelong
Re Neil Armstrong:
Just before he re-entered the lander, however, he made this remark: "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky."
Many people at NASA thought it was a casual remark concerning some rival Soviet Cosmonaut. However, upon checking, there was no Gorsky in either the Russian or American space programs. Over the years many people questioned Armstrong as to what the statement "Good luck Mr. Gorsky", but Armstrong always just smiled.
On July 5, 1995 in Tampa Bay FL, while answering questions following a speech, a reporter brought up the 26-year-old question to Armstrong. This time he finally responded. Mr. Gorsky had finally died and so Neil Armstrong felt he could answer the question.
When he was a kid, he was playing baseball with a friend in the backyard. His friend hit a fly ball which landed in the front of his neighbor's bedroom windows. His neighbors were Mr. and Mrs. Gorsky.
As he leaned down to pick up the ball, young Armstrong heard Mrs. Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky. "Oral sex! You want oral sex?! You'll get oral sex when the kid next door walks on the moon!" True story.

Egga

Cancelled
North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2016 Daw & Anderson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Nov 10, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was watching Collingwood kick the same score they got last weekend.

hotham

NMFC 1869
North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jan 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eels
I was a primary school student (and a Footscray supporter) The whole grade went to a class mate's house to watch the big event on their TV.

Back