Where were you 50 years ago when man landed on the moon?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Same with me. I was in Form 5 (Year 10) and was sent home early to watch it on TV. Not much to see for a long time until Armstrong and Aldrin finally got of the module.

As for the season--North's 100th anniversary but not much to celebrate. Eight wins as mentioned and finished 8th (out of 12) New players that year were David Dench, Geoff Bryant and 5 or 6 others who didn't make much impact. How time flies.

1968-69 did see the emergence of what would become members of the North sides of the 1975 flag side.

Gary Farrant, Goodingham, Kekovich, Montgomery, Chisnall and Dench all debuted.

9/11- someone rang and said turn the TV on; 15 minutes later the first Tower came down.

Went to bed at 5am and up at 7am.

A few days later watching the VHS and the at end of Talking Footy with Bruce, it cuts straight to Breaking News shortly after the first plane hitting.

I woke up. Did my morning chores. My missus went to work and I stuck the telly on while waiting for a ride to work. I was expecting Dragonball Z or one of those cartoons instead some guy was at Brissie airport looking panicked and there was a headline under the image saying "The Attack on America"!!!

I had no idea what was going on and assumed it was some sort of nuclear strike or something. It was an intense few minutes.

Then they did a recap and showed the towers coming down and I thought "Oh yeah, that was bound to happen sooner or later."

No I didn't, but I was relieved it wasn't something worse.

Then my ride arrived - i told them what happened and we decided to get drunk and stoned instead. People I hadn't seen for years turned up here. Spent the day having an end of the world party. I basically missed it but did get a good night's sleep.

Its funny cos everyone I know that saw it live seemed to have some sort of PTSD. Also (before the Bali bombing) nearly everyone whatever their politics had the attitude "Well the US had that coming didn't they." Its very different now.

Orange Peanut

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah... what were you doing there? My brother lives in Champaign. There's another BF poster who lived in Urbana. He had been a professor at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.

Edited to add: the BF poster I mentioned was at Illinois State in Normal, not U of I in U-C. Sorry.
Thank God that got cleared up :thumbsu:

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I woke up. Did my morning chores. My missus went to work and I stuck the telly on while waiting for a ride to work. I was expecting Dragonball Z or one of those cartoons instead some guy was at Brissie airport looking panicked and there was a headline under the image saying "The Attack on America"!!!

I had no idea what was going on and assumed it was some sort of nuclear strike or something. It was an intense few minutes.

Then they did a recap and showed the towers coming down and I thought "Oh yeah, that was bound to happen sooner or later."

No I didn't, but I was relieved it wasn't something worse.

Then my ride arrived - i told them what happened and we decided to get drunk and stoned instead. People I hadn't seen for years turned up here. Spent the day having an end of the world party. I basically missed it but did get a good night's sleep.

Its funny cos everyone I know that saw it live seemed to have some sort of PTSD. Also (before the Bali bombing) nearly everyone whatever their politics had the attitude "Well the US had that coming didn't they." Its very different now.

Coming up 20 years already

Did you see the TV Series ‘The Looming Tower’? So many missed opportunities to stop it

The French Brothers Doco of the day is one if not the best real time capturing of any historical Doco.

9/11 I watched unfold as it happened. Turned on the TV to watch the morning news like routine, and the first plane had already hit. Didn't really know what had happened, was just watching the live feed of the tower burning, when the second plane cruised across the screen and hit. I remember not really processing that it was terrorism right away. Your brain just didn't immediately go there like it does nowadays. Spent the morning riveted to the live feed. Watching the one tower burning, I remember knowing it was going to fall, and feeling really stressed about how many people must be still inside. Weirdly, no one on the news commentary was talking about it though. It was like they just assumed it would stay up. And then it imploded. Felt horrific.

Diana I remember clearly too, seeing the news feed as it happened. It felt surreal, and just so sad. Sad that we'd lost her, but also because she must have felt pain before she died. No one should have to leave this world in a violent way, and especially not someone like her.

Moon landing, I don't remember. My mum said I used to pull the knobs off the tv and put them in my mouth when I was teeny, so maybe I was doing that. I wouldn't quite have been a year old though, so maybe not.

Watched 9/11 in real time from an anarchist squat in Montreal lol

Moon landing I was 3 and we went to the next door neighbours to watch on their TV it's one of my early memories.

Diana was on a skiing/partying holiday at Thredbo. The Diana news didn't impact the partying.

9/11 stayed up all night watching live. It was utterly chilling realising that it was an event that you knew was just going to change the world. Seeing the people jumping was just messed up.

Did you see the TV Series ‘The Looming Tower’? So many missed opportunities to stop it

The French Brothers Doco of the day is one if not the best real time capturing of any historical Doco.

The Al Qaeda leadership shura voted against "the planes operation" and were as surprised and pissed off as anyone else.

Osama had freelanced it with KSM and Ramzi Bin Al Shibh.

From the limited accounts available, Bin Al Shibh has been tortured into a child like, or brain damaged, state since.

KSM has fared better but he was nuts to begin with.

In 100 years time,Bin Laden will be remembered as one of the "great men" of the 21st century, more really, a quasi religious figure, like a Sunni Luke Skywalker.

Don't remember Abe Lincoln or JFK.

Diana, I was at home watching TV when the news broke. About 30 minutes later, I received a call from my mother telling me that my Aunt had just past away as well.

9/11, We were visiting my Parents in Longreach. My girlfriend and I had gone to bed early and so we didn't hear about until the next morning. She had worked in the North Tower a few years before and knew a number of people who died. Her best friend was in the building at the time, but she was on a lower floor and managed to get out before the building collapsed.

I didn't see the series but am familiar with the book.

John O'Neill.... wtf???

And frankly I'm sus as on that whole thing. If nothing else there are people in that government and admin that should have been in jail for ******* up so badly. Unbelievable. Put it this way ... if the sept 11 attacks happened in Australia while Gillard was PM she'd have been hanging from that flagpole in Canberra by nightfall. Dubya's admin got the excessive police state infrastructure it asked for immediately after the event that showed it was too incompetent to run the minor police state infrastructure it already had.

Ohhhhhhhkayyyy......^^^^...... I wish I had stuck to my plan which was to talk about Moon Rocks....

Don't worry I won't mention it again. 9/11 talk shits me to tears. I've known the guy who coined the term "9/11 truth" online for over a decade so I've heard it all before.

Back