Where were you when Aaron Naughton became a Dog?

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember it well...

Spent the afternoon in a Moonee Ponds sports bar, watching cricket with 2 mates, but the draft was always going to be the main event.

Would Stephenson slip? Nope, Collingwood rightly grab him at 6.
Ok, Coffield? Pick 7, Hunter who?...
...Pick 8 (ah, the old smart @rsed, reverse order pick)...
...as I swigged the rest of my beer, and quite confidently announced to the world that with Pick 9 the Western Bulldogs would select Aaron Naughton.

Ah, what a day! Good times...

Everyone else is like - we dont need another key backman, we have heaps of them - Fletcher, Adams, Young, Morris, Cordy - so many, this is crazy

Im like - if you have a shot at a gun key player, you take them.
giphy.gif

With my parents, saying we need Nick Coffield, and being devastated when St Kilda picked him. I said 'oh no, we are going to draft that Naughton kid aren't we? We already have Adams, just recruited Trengrove, Lewis Young is looking the goods, Fletcher is a handy backup, we need a mid with speed!'. Then we drafted him and I thought the sky would fall in. But then I saw how happy he was to have his name read out, and at that moment my thoughts changed and I couldn't wait to spend the next 15 years watching this absolute jet play footyball

I’ve got a mate who works high up at the Saints and he says that passing on Naughton is starting to haunt them

It's 10x worse than Billings>Bont because 1. They missed him twice and 2. The gap between Naughton and Clark/Coffield will be even greater than Bont & Billings.

I was hoping that St Kilda went Clark/Bonar and we got Coffield at pick nine, I did not think Aaron Naughton
was a first round pick in fact both Naughton and Richards were in the twenties in my phantom from memory.
It's good to be wrong sometimes and both Naughton and Richards show great promise, I think St Kilda did
the right thing with who they took it's all easy in hindsight, this thread would not have existed the two
weeks prior as Naughton did little in those games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My god the kid is something else isn’t he! It was well known that the Dogs would be taking him at our pick in the draft and there was no suggestion that he would not make it through to us at pick 9. Looks like we got the best player in that year’s draft pool just like we did with Bont

Remove this Banner Ad

Back