Where were you when....

Remove this Banner Ad

I was 10 meters away from Andrew Walker when he took the mark of the century. I actually stood up and applauded it, it was unbelievable. Its one of the greatest things I've ever seen. Perfect reason why you don't leave early.

In 2009 I was at home and left the room when we went three goals down, my Dad called me back when we kicked a goal, couldn't believe we won.

Sydney 2011 I almost went down to level 1 but then Hurley missed and I very well could of missed Goodes' miss that goal. Haven't seen us win a game with a kick after the siren, but seen Saints 2009 and North 2012. I didn't see Lloyd's mark or Daniher's mark either. I did see us kick 15 goals in a quarter though.

Last edited:

I was 10 meters away from Andrew Walker when he took the mark of the century. I actually stood up and applauded it, it was unbelievable. Its one of the greatest things I've ever seen. Perfect reason why you don't leave early.

In 2009 I was at home and left the room when we went three goals down, my Dad called me back when we kicked a goal, couldn't believe we won.
Gary Moorcroft says hi

The day Diana died, I was balling my eyes out.

Was Harvs last game, playing out at optus oval, against ?Ade? in a close win.
Yep, I was there too. It was also Chris Daniher's last game (and Cransberg's too, apparently).

ANZAC day 2009 I was sitting in my Southern Stand seat having found I was basically the only one still there in my area because several fellow reserve seaters had chosen to go home.

With regards to major world events there was a time when I had a knack of always seeming to be at home, such as when Lady Diana died, & when 9/11 happened which also happened to be the night Lloydy was suspended for his grandma kiss on a Carlton player.

And I remember spending the 1983 GF at a friend's house in Warrandyte with their grumpy old poodle.

Last edited:
Hopped into the car after playing U14s, somewhere around quarter time of The Comeback, listening to 3AW. We were about 10 goals down at that point, but I remember feeling like we had a sneaky chance for whatever reason (fair enough with that EFC team). Watched the rest of the game at home still in my footy gear, I remember how inevitable it felt, even being a couple of goals down at 3QT...good times!

1993 Prelim vs Adelaide - I was 8yrs old and grew up out near Yarra Glen. Ess were getting minced. At half time, I put on my long sleeve Bomber Jumper with the number '8' printed on the back and started lining up set shots and snaps between the two big gum tree's we had in the backyard. I had this superstitious feeling that if I played well, maybe the team would. Essendon would then go on to score 11 goals in the second half to win the game, Adelaide only kicked 2. Bewick with 6.

2013 rd3 vs Freo - Now older and on the other side of the inner city, I'd been scolded by my now wife, for being too loud and waking her up inadvertently when the footy is on. When Ryder kicked the winning goal, I was standing in front of the TV making a silent/whispering/scream and swinging my shirt around Kevin Sheedy style (completely unintentional). What a win...

2013 rd11 vs Carlscum - first thing I need to explain, I really hate Carlton. Second thing I need to explain, I was absolutely blind drunk at this game. I was standing with my mate and brother at M22/Gate 6, Ess were comprehensively being beaten in the first half. I was making random wild drunken accusations about how Demetriou must be "shaking hands with Satan" because I believed the umpiring was "diabolical". We clutched back in the second half to win the game, after kicking 8 goals, Carlton kicked 2. I hugged at least 50 strangers.

Note: the next day I watched that game, I haven't been able to identify where the diabolical umpiring was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I thought I would create thread this as a 'Where were you when (insert thing that occurred) happened?' but attached to great/funny things that have happened when Essendon has played.

For example: Where were you when Zaka kicked that goal against the Pies on Anzac Day and how'd you react?

I was at a mates place in Richmond that Anzac Day and the two of us had been screaming blue murder at the TV the whole time. When he took the kick I have to admit my face was buried in the cushion of a couch so I didn't see it sail through, but my best mate kept slapping me on the back over and over screaming 'HE KICKED IT!' I got my face out of the cushion and fell to me knees shouting 'YES!'

Brilliant moment that I never saw. I should've had more faith.

Remember - this doesn't have to be about the Zaka moment. Post your fave moment if you want.

Runk out:thumbsu:

Level 4 MCG :thumbsu:

The day Diana died, I was balling my eyes out.

Was Harvs last game, playing out at optus oval, against ?Ade? in a close win.

Our game was on 3LO and they didn't cover the first half because they were broadcasting Diana's death - Still angry to this day.

2001 grand final. I was there by myself because someone had scrounged me a ticket, sitting at the top of the Southern stand surrounded by AFL members, none of whom were barracking for Essendon and were regularly spilling beer on me. I have never felt so lonely or disappointed.

2001 grand final. I was there by myself because someone had scrounged me a ticket, sitting at the top of the Southern stand surrounded by AFL members, none of whom were barracking for Essendon and were regularly spilling beer on me. I have never felt so lonely or disappointed.

I was at Kapooka with no access to TV or radio. The Corporals had the game on in their room so I kept finding excuses to walk past the door trying to hear the score until the cracked the shits and told me off. They had a great time bagging me out when we lost :(
Still haven't managed to watch that game all the way through...

Anzac day 2009.
I had to work. I was in the bowells of the musty Forum Theatre preparing for a gig. The ceiling down there is super low, built for people of the 1930's, and you basically have crawl in to the office where I was.
I was listening to the radio call on the old boombox and had finished off a tequila sunrise that some angel from the bar had made me, but feeling the worse for wear with Collingwood winning and the tequila giving me a slight headache. That headache was about to get a whole lot worse - when Zaka did his thing I jumped up and literally hit the ceiling. That hole is prob still there.
Spent the night working, slightly blurred vision, smiling like a mothercampaigner!

Anzac day 2009.
I had to work. I was in the bowells of the musty Forum Theatre preparing for a gig. The ceiling down there is super low, built for people of the 1930's, and you basically have crawl in to the office where I was.
I was listening to the radio call on the old boombox and had finished off a tequila sunrise that some angel from the bar had made me, but feeling the worse for wear with Collingwood winning and the tequila giving me a slight headache. That headache was about to get a whole lot worse - when Zaka did his thing I jumped up and literally hit the ceiling. That hole is prob still there.
Spent the night working, slightly blurred vision, smiling like a mothercampaigner!
Best live music venue in Melbourne.

GF 1993. Went over to watch the game with family friends, who were all Carlton supporters. Their two sons pissed off outside to do something "more fun" at half time.

ANZAC 2009. Desperately trying to correct my balance and not fall through a window after I jumped up out of my seat in an uncontrolled fashion when Zaka kicked the goal.

Back in 92 I was in the marking contest behind the goals when Wanganeen kicked the goal to clinch the lead against Melbourne after being 48 points down 5 min into the last quarter. I was also in the marking contest when Kernahan kicked it OOB when scores were level at the final siren in 93.

Later in 93 mum took my sister to the prelim and I was home listening to it on the radio. 42 points down at half time I decided the footy season was over. Halfway through the last quarter due to some morbid fascination I thought I'd check the score. I nearly choked when the commentator was saying that "with plenty of time to play Watson is shooting to reduce the margin to less than 2 goals". So when they come back was on I was in my mate's car at the nets.

Also my son's first real season game of footy was the line in the sand game. No wonder he used to count how many boys he could make cry in under 10s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back