Preview - Where will Carlton finish in 2019? | Page 4 | BigFooty

Preview Where will Carlton finish in 2019?

Discussion in 'AFL - The Australian Football League' started by The Ghost Rider, Dec 5, 2018.

Tags:
?

Where will Carlton finish in 2019?

1. 16th

43 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. 17th

97 vote(s)
    44.3%
  3. 18th

79 vote(s)
    36.1%
  1. Thetrader15

Thetrader15 Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    8 wins? How many times are you playing GC? Internal trials don't count.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Banana Bread

Banana Bread Club Legend

Geelong
    Other Teams:
    Spurs
    They're one of the best 50 or so teams on the planet

harrythetiger likes this.
  3. TooBlue14

TooBlue14 Club Legend

Carlton
    Who were the additions to best 22 for Melbourne back then from 2012 to 2013.
    Out:
    Morton
    Gysberts
    Martin
    Green
    Jurrah
    Petterd
    Bate
    Bennell

In:
    Hogan - Great in but didn't play the following year
    Toumpas
    Viney - Excellent in
    Kent
    Jones
    Terlich
    Nicholson
    Evans
    Stark
    Clisby
    Barry
    Dawes
    Rodan
    Pederson
    Byrnes
    Maloney
    Rivers
    Gillies

Not a lot of excepetional additions. You could of had Josh Kelly too.

Carlton
    Out:
    Shaw
    ASOS
    Oshea
    JGM
    Kerridge
    Graham
    Lamb
    Mullett
    Byrne
    McDaid
    Rowe
    Wright

Not a lot of best 22. Wright, Rowe (maybe) the exception.

In:
    McGovern
    Walsh
    Setterfield
    Stocker
    Fasolo
    Newman
    Finbar
    Silvagni
    Goddard
    Bugg
    Owies

Add to the that Docherty and Kreuzer who missed all of or most respectively of 2018. Surely it cant just be EVERY OTHER TEAM that improved their list but good old Carlton just gets worse every year.

I'd argue that the difference between Melbourne 2012 and 13 compared to Carlton 2018 and 19 is so far away from reality its not funny . And even they went from 2 - 4 wins in the season. Docherty does that on his own.

4. TooBlue14

TooBlue14 Club Legend

Carlton
    GC twice
    Saints once
    Fremantle
    Dogs once
    North
    Brisb (in melb)
    Adel (at the G)

Plenty of others I cold suggest but you wouldn't believe me. lol

5. Bearded Clam

Bearded Clam Premium Platinum

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Liverpool, Glenelg, SRBR (Roaders)
    Agree... Gold Coast won’t be anywhere near the top 8 in 2019 but I think they have the potential to surprise..

They won’t have Lynch but they didn’t really have him for most of 2018 either... mainly due to injury.. and you couldn’t confidently say he would’ve been in the right frame of mind when he was playing either.. he’d more than likely already checked out long before the season started.

Many also forget that, due to the Comm games, the Suns didn’t have any home games for the bulk of the first half of the season..

Not sure luko and Rankine will have a massive immediate impact.. will depend on how they settle.. but both lads will be competitive and have experience competing against strong bodied men in SANFL..

The question this thread should be asking is “who do you see Carlton finishing ahead of on the ladder at the end of 2019?”...

St kilda?
    Freo?
    GC?
    Dogs?
    Lions?

Who else?

Freo has the advantage of Perth games and Hogan should improve their forward line that was a major cause of their struggles in 2018.
    Can’t see the dogs not bouncing back and being more competitive this year.
    Lions should be more competitive... and Fagan is a far better coach than Bolton

Carlton’s problems revolve around their poor coaching/player development and they are lacking in the experienced 23-28 year old player range. They’ve got a lot of good young players, a lot of old players and not much in the mid range.

6. Xhoquelin

Xhoquelin All Australian

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Arsenal, Charlotte Hornets
    IMO talent wise Saints have no excuse being in the bottom four but sometimes they just play so damn apathetically. At the Saints’ best they get mismatches all over the inside fifty and use their strong runners and brilliant rebound defenders to transition from defence to attack with 2-3 kicks. But games like the Good Friday match are an insult to the fans; I was calling for Richo’s head after that disgraceful display. I don’t think they’re clearly above Carlton; Carlton played with more passion and tenacity last year than the Saints IMO but they just got rocked with injuries over time. Carlton will add a fair few good players to their team this season; saints made the right additions IMO but talent hasn’t been the issue for them IMO moreso some damning inconsistency.
    Competitive is not a word I’d associate with St Kilda based on the last two seasons, rather supremely gifted but disappointingly woeful as a whole.

And Freo can definitely put some good stuff together but their midfield outside of Fyfe and the departed Neale at times is just balls. Feel like the tall forwards are scapegoated by the Vic Media; this team just doesn’t win a fking clearance at times unless Fyfe or Neale goes beast mode, comparable to Carlton with Cripps. Thought they went backwards majorly last season by throwing Mundy back in the guts with Blakely and sometimes Cerra on a HBF; Cerra is the heir apparent but hopefully this year they can start throwing Mundy forward as that third option next to Hogan and Lobb which would be far better than Cam McCarthy IMO who is at the root of Freos fairly apathetic displays. If Blakely can’t average 25 touches a game I think they’ll be in major trouble and only win 5-6 games. Hopefully Conca can do some damage for them but given how his career has played out I’m not expecting anything more than 20 touches a game. Whilst they do capitalise the home ground advantage well I don’t think more than 8 points separate them and the Blues at the end of the season.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 3:51 PM
    JimmyMann and adammania9 like this.
  7. Fadge

Fadge Premiership Player

Collingwood
    DEAD. LAST.

radiojake likes this.
  8. Stephen2

Stephen2 Club Legend

Adelaide
    Jesus christ. All that text to compare a douche vs a turd?

AsIfYouCare likes this.
  9. Mofra

Mofra Moderator

Western Bulldogs
    Other Teams:
    Footscray, The Exers
    We beat you this year with a less experienced side in terms of both age and games played. You've added one quality mature forward and a very promising young mid but that isn't enough to leapfrog us.
    Brisbane I'd tip to be the big climbers in 2019, they're quality and it started to come together for them last year.

I see Carlton improving but there will still be a number of teams ahead of them.

10. Alwaysacrow

Alwaysacrow Club Legend

Adelaide
    You'd better hope that you guys put in a better effort than the last time Crows played you.
    165-61.....lol.

11. TooBlue14

TooBlue14 Club Legend

Carlton
    And docherty and Kruezer will be playing. Both either AA or AA squad in their previous years before injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. TooBlue14

TooBlue14 Club Legend

Carlton
    Not at the G. Where we play our best footy and you play your worst. Not even taking into account Coll Ess and Rich games where we play our best footy.

13. TooBlue14

TooBlue14 Club Legend

Carlton
    Carlton improved dramatically in 2016-17. Very similar to Brisbane. Then we had the worst injury list in the afl and lost experienced leavers on field. Our best players. Exposing plenty of kids too early. No reason to say Bris couldn’t follow a similar path to Carlton. Everyone on here is happy to point out how power Carlton were but discount any reasons behind it. Brisbane however have been in this position before. Still don’t defend well and have just lost beams for Neale while hodge is holding the ship together. Brisbane have convinced us of this before. They’re another bad year away from losing more kids to their home towns.

14. Captain_Bender

Captain_Bender Club Legend

Richmond
    Relegated to the VFL

Fadge and Alwaysacrow like this.
  15. TooBlue14

TooBlue14 Club Legend

Carlton
    But of course your contribution is ******* amazing, well done.

jooce8891 likes this.
  16. TooBlue14

TooBlue14 Club Legend

Carlton
    And what have you added this year. You beat us by 4-5 goals the last 3 years on your preferred deck while we’ve been terrible. This year might be the turning point. My wife is a dogs member as am I and my kid. Been waiting awhile for that illusive win. Two games on Etihad this year and I’m feeling it’s gonna happen. The poor luck we’ve been having is going to change. Players will be better prepared under Russell.

17. Alwaysacrow

Alwaysacrow Club Legend

Adelaide
    Nevertheless I think you're still over rating yourselves with those wins you chalked up. I also think you'll only beat GC once. (In Melbourne).

18. Moist Biscuit

Moist Biscuit Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    The **** is this shit.

19. HFF

HFF Brownlow Medallist

Collingwood
    Other Teams:
    FC Barcelona, Liverpool, FC Bayern
    The worst injury list in the league you reckon?
    Collingwood and Adelaide had worse injury lists than you for starters by a fair way.

adammania9 and Ambrosia like this.
  20. Moist Biscuit

Moist Biscuit Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    I wish I could unread things. Ffs that is the biggest bunch of dribble I have ever had the displeasure of letting my brain consume. TooBlue14

21. radiojake

radiojake Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    LIVFC
    Look anything can happen on the day but yes Carlton will produce over a 100 pt turn around on Adelaide

I guess you gotta believe at this stage otherwise what is the point?

Kane McGoodwin and Fadge like this.
  22. ok.crows

ok.crows Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Crows
    The last meeting between Adelaide and Carlton was in Melbourne, at Ethihad. Adelaide won by 104 points. In a year where a great deal went wrong for both of these sides, especially injury wise, Adelaide nevertheless still managed to win 12 games whereas Carlton only managed two wins.

Fadge and Alwaysacrow like this.
  23. Dez!

Dez! Brownlow Medallist

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Chicago Bulls
    It is quite laughable, there's a reason they won two games and the only addition with proven value is Docherty and assuming he's just going to come back from an ACL and be the player he was right away is wishful thinking.

McGovern is a decent recruit but he was hardly setting the world on fire in a team that is far superior to Carlton.

Carlton will improve but it's delusional to think they are going from the 2 win mess they were in 2018 to an 8 win team in 2019, they should be rapt if they get 5 wins next year.

Moist Biscuit likes this.
  24. Ambrosia

Ambrosia Norm Smith Medallist

Essendon
    Stranger things have happened but I agree.

I think Carlton fans are sucked in by there 2017 form and are writing off 2018 as an aberration. What they forget about 2017 is Gibbs is gone, Murphy is now cooked, Docherty is coming off an ACL, Kreuzer is struggling with injury, Kade Simpson is 2 years older and Matthew Wright is who was a contributor in 2017 is now retired .

Fadge likes this.
  25. BlueRenaissance

BlueRenaissance Club Legend

Carlton
    People are not taking into account a key element in this equation and I feel the Adelaide recruiters have missed it as well.

Last year Adelaide got hit hard with outs but so too did Carlton. Carlton was completely left bereft by injuries to key players ....a horrendous issue for Carlton due to lack of list depth.

The real point is that each year 1-3 teams get wiped by a horrendous injury run. Carlton only needs that to happen to a 9-16th team to add a few extra wins and ladder spots.

The odds of Adelaide, doggies, carlton being in that list is low. Law of averages.

Not always just about fair list analysis. Bad luck is coming to a few teams.

Carlton are replacing 10 on field scrubs. Not with all a graders but with 10 clear better non injured options.

Bulldog1954 likes this.