Prediction Where will Carlton finish in 2019?

Where will Carlton finish in 2019?

• 16th

Votes: 74 16.1%
  • 17th

Votes: 165 35.9%
  • 18th

Votes: 221 48.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Be interesting to see if big preuss gets any game time with the dees this year, think he’d stand up well as a strong marking tall forward but obviously won’t be having long stints in the ruck, thought it was a strange acquisition by the dees and preuss actually wanting to leave given gawn is a lot younger than goldy

Yeah I'm really intrigued to see what they'll do with him. Gawn is considerably younger, so unless they play 2 rucks at the same time I have no idea how they plan to use him. Preuss had options too, could've gone anywhere and yet he was persistent on Melbourne despite everyone and the media scratching their heads.

Maybe they'll rotate Gawn with him forward now and then to take up ruck duties.

Yeah, North weren't crazy enough to offer him the money Melbourne were. It could be a genius move by Melbourne or suicide. Yet to be decided. North won't be worse off with him not there in my opinion. Not in the short term anyway.

I agree, I think Tyson is a decent exchange although I’ll be devastated if Preuss becomes a colossus for north’s sake, but will be happy for him personally especially where he’s come from and how hard he’s worked, could easily be no. 1 ruckman in a few teams atm. He’s an absolute beast, I loved his aggression for a ruckman very similar to Sandilands minus the athleticism.

That is one of the biggest circle jerk posts I ever come across.
Majak Daw is still an unknown prospect. He was good last year but will he even play again?
Wells, Petrie don't play for you anymore, wtf?
You may as well put in Lindsay Thomas while you are at it.

Name me young guns in the making from the current list?
Remembering Brown is 27.
Your list is lop sided, very similar to Geelong's at the moment but at least we have 2 or 3 genuinely lively types who are 22 and under to keep our hopes up.
You also got rid of your only young promising ruckman.

Sky's is not the limit at North Melbourne.
You won't come to replicating last years performance.
No quality footballer wants to play for the club. It's a dead end destination.
Your only hope is to continue trading for B grade mature aged players in Pittard, Polec and Tyson and hope they keep you relevant.
I look forward to quoting this post at the end of the season, when Jy Simpkin, Paul Ahern, Jed Anderson, Luke Davies-Uniacke and Ben McKay all have a good year.
Good luck for the season.

Anyway, Carlton will probably win about 7 games this year and we will see a lot of improvement from their youth. Should be a pretty positive year for Blues fans.

champ, Aussie slang for; I'm not a tough guy in person but can get testy on the internet.

Lol, Hardly a toughie, actually a massive softy in person, just having a few brews in bed atm after a long week of work, relax guy you’re the one who seems to be upset by the whole scenario, You don’t even support Carlton so you must have some sort of vendetta against north, whatever floats your boat. As i said enjoy your weekend

If you trade away a high pick there's no long term gain is there? Stocker was picked as the club believed he would play most games this year.The short term gain is that you get a player from the draft one year earlier , he can play straight away.You can't play a player if he hasn't been drafted.

No, you are acting like we simply traded our first pick this year to get that pick 19 last year, we are getting Adelaides first round pick back as well.

Essentially this gives us an extra top 20 pick we didn’t have before, and we rated stocker 6 in the draft last year.

Could backfire? Well anything could in theory. Stocker could be Nat Fyfe, and Adelaide get Jack Watts mark 2 with the assumed top 4 pick and we pick up the next Cripps at pick 13.

Basically for this to work for Adelaide their banking on the pick they have got from us this year being worth as much or more than Stocker and the 1st rounder we got from them.

Hardly short term, we are hardly winning a flag this year. We just wanted to improve our midfield stocks (pun intended)

Quite likely to double their win tally and add an extra 15% to their percentage this year, but still most likely finish 17th. That probably says more about how bad they were last year.

They are coming from along way back

That is basically my expectation for this year, that would be a pass mark for me.

Again shows how far back we are coming from.

Very different players, I’d be happy with having either.

The reply was to a poster who said North couldn't attract a player better than Pittard while calling McGovern a gun recruit. Yes they are different players, but Polec is much closer to being a gun recruit at this stage.

Where do Carlton and Adelaide have to finish for their trade to be a break even? Would Carlton finishing 16th and Adelaide 9th mean break even for Carlton? Pick 3 traded for 19 and 10
Not saying he will end up this good but Carlton did have Stocker rated at 6. Now they could be seen as delusional, however from a Carlton perspective is say they finish 17th (based on what most are predicting) it would be seem as Pick 2 for say pick 10 (based on what most see Adelaide finishing) and the player would have picked with Pick 6.

Of course to Adelaide however it would be seen as Pick 2 for Pick 10 + Pick 19 and they would be thrilled with that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyway, Carlton will probably win about 7 games this year and we will see a lot of improvement from their youth. Should be a pretty positive year for Blues fans.

Achievable, but probably at the top end of the number blues could win.

4-6 games is a very realistic number to aim for, and with a solid development year in 2108 and what has been a solid pre-season.

Its' great for Carlton, and sets the team up for success

4-6 games is a very realistic number to aim for, and with a solid development year in 2108 and what has been a solid pre-season.

Its' great for Carlton, and sets the team up for success
Reckon you might snag one before 2108 but maybe I'm optimistic

Don't you think you're underplaying things ? After-all, you are about to unleash the perfect footballer and the best junior to have ever come through the system.

Don't you think you're underplaying things ? After-all, you are about to unleash the perfect footballer and the best junior to have ever come through the system.

Potentially, but nobody likes a braggart.

Things are indeed looking up at Carlton, it's been a really strong pre-season for the club and the vibe around the place is really solid.

It's great for Carlton, and sets the club up for success

Potentially, but nobody likes a braggart.

Things are indeed looking up at Carlton, it's been a really strong pre-season for the club and the vibe around the place is really solid.

It's great for Carlton, and sets the club up for success

Aside from our co captain out again and other injuries.

The proof will be on field

Lol you’re going to get smashed for that comment, dumbest thing I’ve heard for a long time. Since salary cap cheating time, Carlton have brought in a single big name in Judd who helped them to a couple of elimination finals wins, 2 decades there. I repeat, opened the cheque book for 1 big name in 20 years for 2 elimination finals wins. It’s not the 80’s anymore, player development is everything in the modern game. Carlton are renowned to have struggled since equalisation and a huge culture shift needs to occur both in the player department and further up in the footy department, maybe that culture shift has started, I’m not sure but given the experiences from the past 15-20 years, they even struggle to develop A grade juniors too which has lead them to run at the back of the pack rather than lead from the front in modern times.
Actually it's factually correct and and a valid opinion. Dumb is thinking that things will stay the same, they never do. Particularly in a team with a lot of young talent coming through.

Something like that would've been handy in the 2018 draft. Crows could've taken Rankine.
Suppose that's where SOS and Agresta felt next year's draft was at. You could see Rankine and Luko tearing it up a year or so out from their draft year, with people declaring that, were the draft age lower, they'd both have gone top 5 in the previous year. I'm not across next year's batch of kids, anyone have any ideas who's likely to go at picks 1 to 5?

What I don't get at all is why any given trade has to have a winner. You could look at the Judd trade - as a few have in here - and you can almost unequivocally say that West Coast won it last year, as the trade brought them a flag from the traded players (albeit belatedly). However, to do that would be to ignore several critical parts of what Judd has done at Carlton, through a willingness to dismiss four finals appearances over 5 seasons, as well as him being on the board and a representative in an unfriendly media landscape. He has as much of a say over Carlton's direction as anyone now; he has been instrumental in bringing new practices to the club, instituting due process for recruitment, and approaching the best of the best in off field for football department positions and in the board room.

There are too many variables that, unless you restrict the trade solely to premierships, no way can you definitively state that West Coast is the winner of that trade. What if Judd continues at Carlton, in time becoming our CEO, his sons father son for us instead of WC, playing in flags for us? Does that change how the trade is perceived?

Bringing this back from that (relevant) tangent, this is why anyone attempting to say, unequivocally, that the Stocker trade was won/lost at this juncture is not just wrong, but absurdly so. We are less than a season out from the trade. The kid hasn't even played a game of football. The player selected by Adelaide with Carlton's first hasn't been picked; the kid selected with Adelaide's first hasn't been picked. There is simply no way you can calculate anything resembling the value of this trade in realistic terms yet.

And why does someone have to 'win', anyway? If Stocker is a first 22 player who is a cog in an excellent midfield, and pick whatever Adelaide get in is also a first 22 player who is also a critical part of the team (remembering that SPP and Zac Fisher both were selected with picks 18-22, and they're hardly the sole examples of players of quality selected in that bracket) while Adelaide draft a future captain and brownlow medalist, does Adelaide still win the trade despite Carlton being manifestly content with how things turned out?

Binaries are dumb, and they rarely reflect reality.

Suppose that's where SOS and Agresta felt next year's draft was at. You could see Rankine and Luko tearing it up a year or so out from their draft year, with people declaring that, were the draft age lower, they'd both have gone top 5 in the previous year. I'm not across next year's batch of kids, anyone have any ideas who's likely to go at picks 1 to 5?

What I don't get at all is why any given trade has to have a winner. You could look at the Judd trade - as a few have in here - and you can almost unequivocally say that West Coast won it last year, as the trade brought them a flag from the traded players (albeit belatedly). However, to do that would be to ignore several critical parts of what Judd has done at Carlton, through a willingness to dismiss four finals appearances over 5 seasons, as well as him being on the board and a representative in an unfriendly media landscape. He has as much of a say over Carlton's direction as anyone now; he has been instrumental in bringing new practices to the club, instituting due process for recruitment, and approaching the best of the best in off field for football department positions and in the board room.

There are too many variables that, unless you restrict the trade solely to premierships, no way can you definitively state that West Coast is the winner of that trade. What if Judd continues at Carlton, in time becoming our CEO, his sons father son for us instead of WC, playing in flags for us? Does that change how the trade is perceived?

Bringing this back from that (relevant) tangent, this is why anyone attempting to say, unequivocally, that the Stocker trade was won/lost at this juncture is not just wrong, but absurdly so. We are less than a season out from the trade. The kid hasn't even played a game of football. The player selected by Adelaide with Carlton's first hasn't been picked; the kid selected with Adelaide's first hasn't been picked. There is simply no way you can calculate anything resembling the value of this trade in realistic terms yet.

And why does someone have to 'win', anyway? If Stocker is a first 22 player who is a cog in an excellent midfield, and pick whatever Adelaide get in is also a first 22 player who is also a critical part of the team (remembering that SPP and Zac Fisher both were selected with picks 18-22, and they're hardly the sole examples of players of quality selected in that bracket) while Adelaide draft a future captain and brownlow medalist, does Adelaide still win the trade despite Carlton being manifestly content with how things turned out?

Judd was an individual win for Carlton. He won a brownlow medal, received All-Australian honours four times, and captained the club from 2008 until 2013. Notably, he was winning these honours while Gary Ablett was in peak form and being touted as the best player ever (after his dad). It's a no-brainer. I would choose Judd over Kennedy every day of the week, especially at the time when Carlton had Fevola as their key-forward. West Coast also received Pick 3 and 20, but those picks ended up being Chris Masten and Tony Notte. In my view, Chris Masten and Dennis Armfield (who Carlton drafted with Pick 46, which they received as part of the trade) are about equal in value, and Notte played a total of 2 games for West Coast. Carlton's list management here was actually pretty good, which is saying something because it ended up becoming so, so bad after this, having players like Tom Bell being paid ludicrous amounts of money for what their output actually was... or moving players on like Eddie Betts because they were prioritising paying guys like Tom Bell instead...

I'm not sure what all that means or how it's relevant to my post but all I meant was that if Adelaide do get pick 1-3 in this years draft it would've been handy last year.

Back