Prediction Where will Carlton finish in 2019?

Where will Carlton finish in 2019?

• 16th

Votes: 74 16.1%
  • 17th

Votes: 165 35.9%
  • 18th

Votes: 221 48.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

They won last year in round 19 let’s not buy into the media crap of “they forgot how to win”

Not buying into anything, but losing and winning both become a habit. Expectation is created, and when the heat is on you call on past experience and this carlton side is full of losers

A lot of his trades have revolved around getting picks in return rather than quality players. Can see what he was doing at the time given our rebuilding path but the question can be asked now if it was the right move.

Marchbank
Kennedy
Setterfield
Phillips
Plowman

Holman
Pickett
Shmedts
Lang
Lamb

Except for the top 3 the rest were steak knives in bigger deals involving picks. I'm going to only give the bolded passes - and Marchbank only just because he needs to get his body right.

Not one elite player in the entire group on available evidence (some of them are young still but you wouldn't be sure any of them will reach AA).
Lists are pretty small so there is a price for these list clogger types. Carlton traded in a bunch of below average players to gain in draft picks, then it takes time for draft picks to develop. Meanwhile the few good players on your list start to get annoyed and start thinking of greener pastures eg Gibbs, Henderson, Tuohy etc.

Its only a matter of time until more players want out unless Carlton can put wins on the board. Players aren't going to want to play in a team that wins about 20% of their games forever. Some will be determined to see Carlton be successful but others will get attractive offers elsewhere to go play in competitive sides and it won't be a hard decision to leave.

Not one elite player in the entire group on available evidence (some of them are young still but you wouldn't be sure any of them will reach AA).
Lists are pretty small so there is a price for these list clogger types. Carlton traded in a bunch of below average players to gain in draft picks, then it takes time for draft picks to develop. Meanwhile the few good players on your list start to get annoyed and start thinking of greener pastures eg Gibbs, Henderson, Tuohy etc.

Its only a matter of time until more players want out unless Carlton can put wins on the board. Players aren't going to want to play in a team that wins about 20% of their games forever. Some will be determined to see Carlton be successful but others will get attractive offers elsewhere to go play in competitive sides and it won't be a hard decision to leave.

Gibbs out was primarily for family reasons. Sure he did admit success was a bit of a lure, but we weren't going to forever hold a player against their will.

Henderson is not big loss. Especially when he looks out of favour by the cats. Not Carlton's problem anymore. And Tuohy (although injured atm) hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire since going there. Probably as influential as he was with us. Impacts the scoreboard and has some rough patches.

No team has ever been glued to the bottom. Carlton will rise, but it's a question of how and when.

Also have to consider the possibility of outside players seeing Carlton at a turning point sooner or later. Was the case with Judd (regardless of what other lucrative offers were in place). Probably won't get a player as good as him, but every chance of one that is good enough to help the team achieve better results.

Oh this crap again. Please outline the salary dumps any successful club has done in the last 5 years... actually 10 years.

They literally don’t exist besides in SOS’ world
Prior to free agency is irrelevant quite simply because the good players had to go to bottom teams because the top teams had nothing to offer. Judd is a perfect example we had pick 1 & 3 only reason we got him, if free agency was around back then he would have went to collingwood/hawks for FA compo or traded for a couple of late 1st round picks.

It seems apparent you don't quite grasp the fact no matter how s**t your players are you have to pay them the same coin as the team that won the PREMIERSHIP (95% MINIMUM CAP SPEND). You want us to pay 18 year old 1st year players the same coin as Richmond pay Lynch or Collingwood play De Goey and you can't see the logic of why that would be bad?

Under the current system all your create by not taking salary dumps and restricting the real player payments is a bunch of talented by lazy footballers that will never put in the work to rise up the ladder because they are already well paid (See GC for a prime example). FWIW Lobbe is the only dump we have left.

It’s only early into season 2019, but obviously signs are crook for the blues. If this is Boltons 4th year into his coaching career, then, it’s clear, as an AFL coach, he’s coming up short.
For comparison, Hardwick was appointed in 2009 and his first season was 2010. That year we finished 2nd last. By 2013, we were at least competing in finals.
Paul Roos took Melbourne over in 2014 and took them from 4 wins (2014) to 10 wind by 2016.
And Bolton isn’t the only one here responsible. SOS has a fair bit to answer for.
But, i’ll leave it at that. Blues unfortunately for them are still a bottom 4 club.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

It seems apparent you don't quite grasp the fact no matter how s**t your players are you have to pay them the same coin as the team that won the PREMIERSHIP (95% MINIMUM CAP SPEND). You want us to pay 18 year old 1st year players the same coin as Richmond pay Lynch or Collingwood play De Goey and you can't see the logic of why that would be bad?

Under the current system all your create by not taking salary dumps and restricting the real player payments is a bunch of talented by lazy footballers that will never put in the work to rise up the ladder because they are already well paid (See GC for a prime example). FWIW Lobbe is the only dump we have left.

The point is sos has wasted list spots on players who ain't good enough while over looking state talent.
look at Zac Langdon a small forward the blues would kill for was pick 60 odd.bugg,Shaw,asos,lobb.palmer.fas, smedts trade

Sos gave up the best small forward at state level for another tall,

They have improved on last year.

And so they should have. They won two games last year. They have won three games of the last 36.

How many of the next 18 do we realistically expect them to win? 3-4? 5? Would a four win season 4 years into a total list rebuild be considered to be tracking well?

And ponying up a likely number one draft pick isn’t exactly prudent list management.

Prior to free agency is irrelevant quite simply because the good players had to go to bottom teams because the top teams had nothing to offer. Judd is a perfect example we had pick 1 & 3 only reason we got him, if free agency was around back then he would have went to collingwood/hawks for FA compo or traded for a couple of late 1st round picks.

I understand the need to pay 95%. But your theory of bringing a bloke like Lobbe into the club just to fill salary space is just as moronic as paying a young kid overs.

You’d be better throwing offers to young and upcoming players, like Darcy Parish who may actually improve. Not blokes other clubs have over payed and need to get off their books.

Anyway I haven’t seen any other club salary dump. Not sure why bringing in duds who are getting overpaid ever seemed like a good idea

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The improvement will come eventually they have some handy talent on their list and with experience will come improvement.

That being said there was a s**t ton of Carlton supporters going on and on about how good a job SOS had done and how their elite young talent is going to drive them up the ladder ahead of StKilda and GC.

Carlton were always going to struggle this year look at who they delisted last year (Kerridge, Graham, Rowe, Lamb, Mullet) those blokes would have played 80 games between them last year. They've been replaced largely by more kids.
To be fair we tried replacing those games with MM, Newman, Docherty and Fasolo. Plus we done everything possible for Shiel.
We are now trying to get half quality mature talent in. We HAVE to find another very good mature player to add to this group at the end of the season. I highly doubt we will be seen as a young side next season.

To be fair we tried replacing those games with MM, Newman, Docherty and Fasolo. Plus we done everything possible for Shiel.
We are now trying to get half quality mature talent in. We HAVE to find another very good mature player to add to this group at the end of the season. I highly doubt we will be seen as a young side next season.

Yeah wasn't trying say delisting them was the incorrect move just saying that the Blues supporters who thought significant improvement this year was a certainty were misguided imo

As much as I am enjoying their struggles, I dont think they'll finish bottom this year. Will win 5 or 6 games.
They are definitely better than last year IMO, but arguably, so are the other contenders for the bottom 4. They have given up a pretty substantial lead to those others clubs and for that reason I changed my vote to 18th.

I fully expect all the young teams to tire in the 2nd half of the season so it could be a bit chaotic down the bottom end. All teams seem competitive atm, but I suspect that will fluctuate wildly through the season. The difference is, Freo, Saints, GC, Dogs etc have made it count somewhat to date with some wins and Blues haven't.

Could see them finishing 18th but with a better % than some teams above them if the current trend continues.

Getting very personal here mate. Why?

All I did was ask a very simple question.

Not at all personal mate it's a forum I value all opinions.
I'll keenly await your highly intelligent response to my post but..or if you don't have one?

Anyway have a nice day 👍

Not at all personal mate it's a forum I value all opinions.
I'll keenly await your highly intelligent response to my post but..or if you don't have one?

Anyway have a nice day 👍

I'm still waiting on clarification as to which pick we gave for free.

Once that is sorted I am happy to answer any question you have.

Until then I'm just going to continue assuming you were just trolling.

And so they should have. They won two games last year. They have won three games of the last 36.

How many of the next 18 do we realistically expect them to win? 3-4? 5? Would a four win season 4 years into a total list rebuild be considered to be tracking well?

And ponying up a likely number one draft pick isn’t exactly prudent list management.
I realise all of the above.

Forgetting about wins and losses for the moment, on the game's this year, they are playing better than last year.

And remembering they are coming off such a horrendously low base, that maybe 4 to 6 wins this year is a massive achievement, as silly as it sounds.

They'd want to eek a win soon, to get the ball rolling, take the pressure off, get some confidence that they are on the right track.

I'm still waiting on clarification as to which pick we gave for free.

Once that is sorted I am happy to answer any question you have.

Until then I'm just going to continue assuming you were just trolling.

seems you made a honest mistake and couldn't read what i said about the pick.i stated the picks you got back are players who haven't played and are no good. I hope their is no mis understanding darl.

I'll keenly await for your response 👍

seems you made a honest mistake and couldn't read what i said about the pick.i stated the picks you got back are players who haven't played and are no good. I hope their is no mis understanding darl.

I'll keenly await for your response 👍

You're all over the place mate. If you can't put your opinion forward without going off on irrelevant tangents, there's not much point discussing things with you.

You stated we gave them a pick for free, I asked which....and you've given us nothing.

That'll do me. You're a waste of time.

They've been competitive in pretty much every game.
They're definitely going in the right direction, but if they don't win more than 5 games then it's a massive backward step. Just winning more games than last year is not good enough.
One more wooden spoon would delight me though :p

Back