Where will Fremantle and West Coast play most of their home games this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

What you mean a fairer draw? Those lost games? And as for bankrolling the competition pfttt
if the AFL didn't get rid of teams like north and gold coast, who are both struggling with crowds and financially, what makes you think it's a good idea for the AFL to get rid of both WA clubs?

I respect your response but I have acknowledged
1) the deaths from influenza and pneumonia in Australia is 10 times higher than covid during the 2 year covid lock down
2) the death rate from influenza and pneumonia in Australia will still be higher than covid during the opening up of the eastern states thanks to double vax

what happened overseas with the stats you quoted, is not relevant as it occurred pre vax which is no longer a reality in WA or over east.

So the Eastern states have been recording 60 , 70 ....80 deaths per day recently.

Are you saying that is less than influenza?

And that is with high double vaccination rates.

If covid isnt a problem as you make out why do so many experts and government disagree with you?

attachment.aspx

So 36 influenza deaths in 2020.

The below is reporting 909 covid deaths in 2020.

Well that disproves the theory covid is no more dangerous.

And in 2020 covid didn't have a full 12 months peak activity.

2021 figures will be interesting.

Last edited:

What I'm saying is that Perth is the fourth largest TV market in Australia (out of the 5 metro's). The advertisers don't care what ball sport you're watching on a Friday night or a Sunday afternoon, as long as you're watching so you can see their advertising.

You're getting all worked up trying to make Perth relevant with off-topic information that doesn't change the fact that advertising money doesn't really care about the interests of the people of Perth (especially when WA is locked away from the rest of the world)

And you seem to be hell bent on proving Perth an WA irrelevent in the scheme of things.

Which is incorrect.

You do realise there's other sport on television than AFL ;)

I'll say it once and I'll say it again--- Perth is the 4th largest TV market in Australia and is insignificant in terms of advertising dollars. IF the Perth TV advertising market was valuable, there would be a shift in the time slots to make the games more accessible to the Perth audience, but they don't.

What games arent accessible to Perth audiences?

The AFL moves WA time slots to earlier because of the Eastern market time difference.

If the WA football content is gone then the AFL makes no money from WA and the TV right $$ would fall as well, all teams suffer. After two years of covid losses that would very likely send the AFL to the brink of bankrupcy.

So much for that insignificant market.

I don't know what my club of support has to do with this discussion mate.

Cool story. They can use some of it to hub someone in the country that's open for part of the season.

Who's "we" because I haven't discussed how much money the two WA clubs bring to the AFL in this thread.

I'm just saying that trying to champion "West Coast as big raters in Perth" is like suggesting I'm the best goal kicker in AFL 9's. The Perth TV market is insignificant in regards to the advertising dollar in Australia. The advertising dollar is on the eastern seaboard-- how many people watch the Eagles in Perth doesn't have a big impact on the bottom line of the AFL.
You are really reaching. Narrowing your arguement to the point where its ignoring the obvious.

If the AFL had to cut out the profitable WA AFL market the comp and other teams would suffer.

Massive cuts would be needed and teams relocated out of Melbourne. Suns would be axed. Gaints as well.

if the AFL didn't get rid of teams like north and gold coast, who are both struggling with crowds and financially, what makes you think it's a good idea for the AFL to get rid of both WA clubs?
Where did I say get rid of them, but as for bankrolling the competition pfttt and I agree get rid of the leeches like Gold Coast, gws and north

You are really reaching. Narrowing your arguement to the point where its ignoring the obvious.

If the AFL had to cut out the profitable WA AFL market the comp and other teams would suffer.

Massive cuts would be needed and teams relocated out of Melbourne. Suns would be axed. Gaints as well.

WA also massively over contribute to the player pool IF you consider where the player pool goes to.
The u18/19s are in the WAFL system.

It might just come down to how long the WA teams are prepared to hub away from home and with our without families.

& where the AFL funded PA choose to sit in negotiations, e.g travel remains unpaid for some reason, even though the time spent is quite transparent.

You do realise there's other sport on television than AFL ;)

I'll say it once and I'll say it again--- Perth is the 4th largest TV market in Australia and is insignificant in terms of advertising dollars. IF the Perth TV advertising market was valuable, there would be a shift in the time slots to make the games more accessible to the Perth audience, but they don't.

The significance of the advertising dollars is more generally ignored in discussions between the media deals as Sydney ( the biggest market) is not an AFL stronghold.
National advertising rates are good value for the big advertisers & Perth is a player in the 5 city comparisons (that excude $s).

I've long pointed out the role of the regionals in the NRL audience (it includes Origin) & sports such as the tennis:

The AFL moves WA time slots to earlier because of the Eastern market time difference.

Because as I've said multiple times now, the Eastern states is where the advertising dollar is. If the Perth TV market was significant there would be games played at primetime over in Perth to focus on that audience, but there's not.

The significance of the advertising dollars is more generally ignored in discussions between the media deals as Sydney ( the biggest market) is not an AFL stronghold.
National advertising rates are good value for the big advertisers & Perth is a player in the 5 city comparisons (that excude $s).

I've long pointed out the role of the regionals in the NRL audience (it includes Origin) & sports such as the tennis:

I agree with you that Perth is a "player" when discussing advertising dollars, but it's the fourth largest market in Australia. I'm not talking about television deals here (because of course Channel 7 will value Perth's audience) but the advertising dollar. The large brands are more interested in advertising along the eastern seaboard, they don't care WHAT you're watching, as long as you see their advertisement.

Back to my original point (because it seems that a few people have taken this completely out of context to rant for the sake of ranting) suggesting that the West Coast Eagles television ratings in Perth is the most important part of a television deal is straight up hyperbole. It's a team in a small market that isn't valued as highly as other parts of the country.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because as I've said multiple times now, the Eastern states is where the advertising dollar is. If the Perth TV market was significant there would be games played at primetime over in Perth to focus on that audience, but there's not.

I agree with you that Perth is a "player" when discussing advertising dollars, but it's the fourth largest market in Australia. I'm not talking about television deals here (because of course Channel 7 will value Perth's audience) but the advertising dollar. The large brands are more interested in advertising along the eastern seaboard, they don't care WHAT you're watching, as long as you see their advertisement.

Back to my original point (because it seems that a few people have taken this completely out of context to rant for the sake of ranting) suggesting that the West Coast Eagles television ratings in Perth is the most important part of a television deal is straight up hyperbole. It's a team in a small market that isn't valued as highly as other parts of

Back to my original point (because it seems that a few people have taken this completely out of context to rant for the sake of ranting) suggesting that the West Coast Eagles television ratings in Perth is the most important part of a television deal is straight up hyperbole. It's a team in a small market that isn't valued as highly as other parts of the country.

And narrowing the argument is also hyperbole. Which is what you are doing.

No WA teams play in 2022 everyone suffers. Some club's would be close to follding.

That's the point.

And narrowing the argument is also hyperbole. Which is what you are doing.

No WA teams play in 2022 everyone suffers. Some club's would be close to follding.

That's the point.

So wouldn't the solution be that they do the right thing by the competition and travel (no different than what the rest of the league has done over the past 2 years)?

Instead there's all this pathetic chest beating that the WA clubs are the two most important clubs in the league, when they're not. No individual club is more important than the other 17 for survival of the league.

So wouldn't the solution be that they do the right thing by the competition and travel (no different than what the rest of the league has done over the past 2 years)?

Instead there's all this pathetic chest beating that the WA clubs are the two most important clubs in the league, when they're not. No individual club is more important than the other 17 for survival of the league.

I think you'll find that WA fans here are supportive of the teams travelling. It's others who are calling for them to be kicked out of the competition.

.. given that McGowan has abandoned any plans to open the border anytime soon. I havent heard of any contingency plans by the AFL.

Round 1 could be a derby in WA, also the round after the bye could be in WA (if they are allowed back)

Or too early to start thinking ahead?
Round 1 Freo are in Adelaide. The AFL wont mess up too much of the fixture cos of Freo and WC.. They will just base them in QLD or VIC

Its more about national advertising pricing than the WA market.
Given that the WA market AFL deal is not replicated in other States, its very difficult to make informed comments, one size does not fit all.

For example, the Open tennis ratings for the regionals are greater than Melbourne, more generally regarded as the number 2 audience in terms of viewers. It is a source of misunderstanding when using 5 capital numbers to compare AFL/NRL GF numbers or the reach of Origin.

Interesting numbers.

Its more about national advertising pricing than the WA market.
Given that the WA market AFL deal is not replicated in other States, its very difficult to make informed comments, one size does not fit all.

For example, the Open tennis ratings for the regionals are greater than Melbourne, more generally regarded as the number 2 audience in terms of viewers. It is a source of misunderstanding when using 5 capital numbers to compare AFL/NRL GF numbers or the reach of Origin.

Interesting numbers.

So you'd agree that comments like "West Coast rates well in Perth" is ridiculous comment to make in regards to demonstrating that apparently they are the most important team in the league. Because they're not and your own analysis of the advertising market suggests that it's "very difficult to make informed comments".

So you'd agree that comments like "West Coast rates well in Perth" is ridiculous comment to make in regards to demonstrating that apparently they are the most important team in the league. Because they're not and your own analysis of the advertising market suggests that it's "very difficult to make informed comments".

Any 'most important team' comments arent worth continue reading.

The context '... informed comments' relate to the issue I was commenting on & that was not 'most important team'.

Any 'most important team' comments arent worth continue reading.

The context '... informed comments' relate to the issue I was commenting on & that was not 'most important team'.

So you’re deliberately taking my original comment out of context—- cool story bro.

So the Eastern states have been recording 60 , 70 ....80 deaths per day recently.

Are you saying that is less than influenza?

And that is with high double vaccination rates.

If covid isnt a problem as you make out why do so many experts and government dissagree with you?

This months average annualised is 12k and the experts and governments are calling we have reached peak, which is the guidance adopted.........and yes it is a reality we are double vaxxed and EVEN triple vaxxed most of our essential workers and the vulnerable.

If Season 2022 for Freo n WC was based out of WA that would be the end for Freo, WC might have enough cash reserves to see them through but not Fremantle. It could only work if the license owners and the AFL come to some agreement to underwriting the losses. Since both licences are owned by the WAFC one doubts the WA govt going to fork out cash as it would create a huge precedent .

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back