Analysis Where will our goals come from?

Which players on the list can average one goal per game in season 2021?

• Taberner

Votes: 82 89.1%
  • Walters

Votes: 66 71.7%
  • Fyfe

Votes: 38 41.3%
  • Schultz

Votes: 39 42.4%
  • Crowden

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Lobb

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Sturt

Votes: 53 57.6%
  • Henry

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Frederick

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • Switkowski

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • Colyer

Votes: 4 4.3%

• Total voters
May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
The question is whether or not 15-20 goals a season is worth taking him out of the midfield for.
Good point.

Still remember the 2012 season where clancee Pearce average 19.5 disposals a game.

Yet there were guys like clancee Pearce, Stephen Hill and Nick Suban kicking 10-15 goals each that season when Freo only averaged 12 goals a game

wahooo

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
50-50 Fyfe probably only kicks 30 or less (unless our forward movement improves a LOT).

Full time Fyfe probably needs to kick 50+ to be worth taking him out of the middle.
I think a focus purely on the amount of goals Fyfey individually kicks is misleading.

The guy is a contested beast, he's going to draw the opposition's best defender. Fyfe is going to create nightmares for opposition defences, good luck to anyone matching up on him.

Fyfe forward will create opportunity for others.

Last edited:
May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
A think a focus purely on the amount of goals Fyfey individually kicks is misleading.

The guy is a contested beast, he's going to draw the opposition's best defender. Fyfe is going to create nightmares for opposition defences, good luck to anyone matching up on him.

Fyfe forward will create opportunity for others.
It's all part of it, but if he isn't kicking/assisting goals the best defender isn't going to be put on him for long.

Not only that, but its the opportunity cost of have the best mid in the comp playing forward. It's hard to justify that as a forward without significant goals and whatever other intangibles you get.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
The question is whether or not 15-20 goals a season is worth taking him out of the midfield for.
Exactly. He may end up kicking a few more goals than he already kicks while not being a permanent forward, but because we lose the advantage we have from his midfield dominance we end up kicking fewer goals in total.

wahooo

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's all part of it, but if he isn't kicking/assisting goals the best defender isn't going to be put on him for long.

Not only that, but its the opportunity cost of have the best mid in the comp playing forward. It's hard to justify that as a forward without significant goals and whatever other intangibles you get.
Yeah all fair points.

I just think the only way we're a premiership side is if our young mids lift to a point where Fyfe is only required for short stints in the middle. If our young mids can handle it on their own, Fyfe can move to wherever he's most effective.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah all fair points.

I just think the only way we're a premiership side is if our young mids lift to a point where Fyfe is only required for short stints in the middle. If our young mids can handle it on their own, Fyfe can move to wherever he's most effective.
Yeah that's pretty much what Richmond do a lot of the time with Dusty. I think the other mids will get there eventually, it just might not be this year.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fyfe going forward feels sort of like Adam Goodes in his later years - I think one of the Sydney premierships (2012) had Goodes forward and Reid as their key talls?
The forward/mid role is a longstanding one. Everything from the resting rover of yore, to pathways for developing mids and beyond. Martin gets all the media plaudits, but Walters is arguably better at it (notwithstanding this year). Should Fyfe make a go of it (and there's every reason to think if he gets a running jump at it he will), it'll be brilliant for team strategy/flexibility to have two (maybe even three) premium fwd-mids in the side.

waldoggy

Debutant
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hale has proven he has no clue how to get our forward line to function

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

bushchook

All Australian
Dec 9, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
We have to get anyone who even looks capable of kicking a goal into the team quick smart.

Sturt and Western next week. Tracey whenever he's available.

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I know our entries were shocking, but the way Fyfe chose to play some of his one on one contests in the F50 today was just so diabloical and unlike him. He'd want to fix that, or else he's just wasted in there.

Outshined

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just have to cross all appendages that Sturt, Frederick, Walters and maybe further down the line, Treacy, can a) stay fit and b) have a meaningful impact.

The defense is getting blasted for being all over the place today (fair enough) but even if they'd been on it they'd have been having to try and limit Melbourne to 57 points.

I know it's not as simple of an equation as that, but you're not going to win many games kicking 2 goals a quarter.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I know our entries were shocking, but the way Fyfe chose to play some of his one on one contests in the F50 today was just so diabloical and unlike him. He'd want to fix that, or else he's just wasted in there.
I think he is wasted. Just isn't a good forward in the way Dusty and Danger are. He is basically a short Lobb in that if he catches an 180cm mid on him deep, he'll take a mark and kick a goal and you always have to have a proper defender on him, but otherwise is not particularly threatening. I think Treacy could quickly be that much of a threat.

Just leave his forward time the type where he drifts forward on a midfielder. Probably kick the same amount of goals.

That said, delivery to him was largely putrid today so maybe I should hold judgement till that is at least AFL standard.

Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think he is wasted. Just isn't a good forward in the way Dusty and Danger are. He is basically a short Lobb in that if he catches an 180cm mid on him deep, he'll take a mark and kick a goal and you always have to have a proper defender on him, but otherwise is not particularly threatening. I think Treacy could quickly be that much of a threat.

Just leave his forward time the type where he drifts forward on a midfielder. Probably kick the same amount of goals.

That said, delivery to him was largely putrid today so maybe I should hold judgement till that is at least AFL standard.
This.

A generational midfielder. 2x brownlow medallist.

Nah, let's play him in the forward line where he's average at best.

Yet JLo loves to talk about robbing Peter to pay Paul.

How about Paul just drafts some ******* forwards instead.

freo1997

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
munster
AFL Club
Fremantle
Jlo speaks about getting defence right first and the rest will come. I'd be more inclined to do the opposite and get the fwd line sorted. At the end of the day the most goals kicked wins games, not goals stopped.

There were only a handful of us that wanted us to go hard for Mihocek. He or someone in that caliber would be handy right about now.

List management has screwed up the amount of Kpfs and Ruck stock. Too many cut in those positions and never really replaced.

freodog

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’ve got to admit my heart sank a bit when Jlo was interviewed after getting the Freo job & was asked what sort of coach he was. First thing he said was ‘I’m a defence first coach’.

As much as I loved Ross going from a defensively minded coach to another one didn’t inspire me. I know we’ve copped a lot of injuries to our forward line but
seems kicking goals and playing attacking footy isn’t a priority both in drafting or game style.

On the contrary when Fagen was appointed Brisbane coach the first thing he said he wanted to play entertaining footy. They have gone from strength to strength, players want to go there.

Damn it I want to be entertained!!!

Back