MUFKilda

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2017
Manchester, England
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United, Hibernian FC
I´ve literally listened to this song 50 times in the last three weeks. I´ve had some terrible things happen to me lately. My best mate drowned in a diving accident over here in Germany and his baby girl was born a month later. First thing I did was put this song on when his family contacted me to say Abby had been born. Such a bittersweet moment. I cried my eyes out listening to this song reflecting on this news and what should have been. A couple of weeks ago some Hibs mates came over to visit me and we went to some footy over here to have some fun. Sunshine on Leith was played again and again and again in my boozer. Guests didn´t mind at all cos It´s the greatest football anthem ever. Saints are very much like Hibs in many ways. One Scottish Cup in 114 years but the fans are absolutely passionate and mental some of them ;)

Hibs currently sit 6th on the Scottish Premiership League table. It´s an omen. We are going to finish 6th this year.

I'm sorry for what you've been through, mate. It's the perfect song for Saints supporters: sums up the constant disappointment, the perseverance and the hope for the next year, then, finally the magic happens. I was at the cup final in Glasgow in 2016 when Hibs ended the 114 year cup drought; what a weekend that was! Grown men were sobbing like babies. Saints have only been waiting 53 years, and you Aussie blokes don't cry, but there will be plenty asking who is peeling onions in the MCG, when the Grand Final win finally happens. :D

Hope you're doing well after those hard times.

Is this suppose to be a rhetorical question?
Mate I'm happy for us to go 0-10 if means Richo goes, its for the greater good hopefully the players are talking about throwing a few games to get rid of him ;)

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Mate I'm happy for us to go 0-10 if means Richo goes, its for the greater good hopefully the players are talking about throwing a few games to get rid of him ;)

Yea agree mate. Some short term pain for long term gain. It’s like letting out a loud fart in a public place rather than completely shitting yourself.

Not really. You seemed excited by what the poster said and that was being 1 and 10 and richo sacked. People can claim they want us to win but it was proven last year that isn’t always the case when some admitted they wanted us to lose to gc if it meant richo was sacked.
Yawn, don't you get tired of writing the same thing over and over again just to try and cause an argument for the sake of it

Its called trolling

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Yawn, don't you get tired of writing the same thing over and over again just to try and cause an argument for the sake of it

Its called trolling
Aren’t they also saying the same thing and that is why I’m replying. Anyway hope we win around 13 games and make finals. Got serious doubts we can win more than 8 especially with the injuries. And the worst part of your comment is you actually confirmed what I said. An emoticon to make it sound like a joke doesn’t cut it. You can hope to lose. I’m will hope to win.

Bruce was ordinary pre season. Big call on membery above average. Anyway it matters little until we get the midfield right. In order our backs are probably best then forwards and then s big gap to mids. Mids being poor puts pressure on both backs and forwards.

Both Bruce and Newnes didn't train in the preseason, nearly every player will tell you coming off zero preseason will limit what you can do. Bruce kicked 3 goals in his first game of the year, in game two he was noticeably down with injury and by week four he was out of the side, turned out he had stress fractures his back. Got back to full fitness and broke a leg in his return to VFL.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Finish the home & away in 9th, Richo fails to trigger his 2020 contract & is sacked immediately. Monday after the last round, 8th place team loses all points for cheating, saints into 8th, Rats leads the club to our second premiership. :moustache:
I know you are joking but if we did finish 9th that means around 12 wins so he will obviously keep his job. How many wins do you really think he needs to keep his job

MUFKilda

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2017
Manchester, England
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United, Hibernian FC
Finals or he’s gone. But I just remembered this isn’t the Richo thread.

Richo to be a new man for 2019, turning from Mourinho into Ole Gunnar! But yeah, he knows the ice will get thin very quickly, if the season starts badly.

Jan 26, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne United
Bit more encouraged after JLT, still think bottom six or so. Think we'll be much more competitive, but can't see us really clearly better than that NM, WB, Freo group.

Tough first bit of the season, especially with some uncertainty/unavailability of some key players early on. Think the club will finish the season with a bit more optimism. Would normally hope that that would push us into more serious contention for a free agent but I don't think that there is anybody on the list that I'd really want at the Saints at this stage in the careers that's a semi-realistic chance for us.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Think jlt shows we have improved slightly. Gone from 6 to 8 wins to 7 to 9. Still could be as low as 6 if the injury situation gets any worse. If there is one thing I’ve learnt over 50 years you never say improvement will come because guys are coming back from injury because you just don’t know what’s around the corner. Our corner isn’t looking great

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
Think jlt shows we have improved slightly. Gone from 6 to 8 wins to 7 to 9. Still could be as low as 6 if the injury situation gets any worse. If there is one thing I’ve learnt over 50 years you never say improvement will come because guys are coming back from injury because you just don’t know what’s around the corner. Our corner isn’t looking great
Corners are fine, we can negotiate them,
It's the J Curve that worries me!

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Some really good signs so far (including our pressure game looking like it's right back, and our forwardline looking much better than last year), but it's going to be hugely dependent on our injury situation.

If Robbo gets the all-clear and stays that way it's going to make a massive difference, as he is just so important to us.

Just makes a hell of a difference to our backline and largely cancels out the loss of Carlisle.

With Jake gone, we wouldn't want to lose either him or Brown (who's loss would leave us incredibly inexperienced in the key positions back there) for an extended period.

Paddy we can cover by shuffling the decks.

Then the next big one is Hanners. If he does get on top of this hammy issue soon and is relatively close to full fitness from there on, he's likely to make a big difference, even if only for a leadership and experience POV.

We won last week against a team who won 12 games last year, and then yesterday against a team who won almost twice as many games as us last year- despite them being much closer to full strength than us, getting triple the free kicks and also really wanting to win- which augurs well for what we would be capable of if we added Stuv and at least a 2017- version Hanners into the team.

Even when we were terrible last year we beat Melbourne (who made the prelim), on their home ground, drew with GWS (who finished top 6) and so easily could have beaten Hawthorn (who finished H&A top 4), so if we've got our s**t together again this year- as it looks like we might- and don't get crunched too hard by injuries, I don't see any reason we won't return to the sort of team we were in 2016/2017.

Some really good signs so far (including our pressure game looking like it's right back, and our forwardline looking much better than last year), but it's going to be hugely dependent on our injury situation.

If Robbo gets the all-clear and stays that way it's going to make a massive difference, as he is just so important to us.

Just makes a hell of a difference to our backline and largely cancels out the loss of Carlisle.

With Jake gone, we wouldn't want to lose either him or Brown (who's loss would leave us incredibly inexperienced in the key positions back there) for an extended period.

Paddy we can cover by shuffling the decks.

Then the next big one is Hanners. If he does get on top of this hammy issue soon and is relatively close to full fitness from there on, he's likely to make a big difference, even if only for a leadership and experience POV.

We won last week against a team who won 12 games last year, and then yesterday against a team who won almost twice as many games as us last year- despite them being much closer to full strength than us, getting triple the free kicks and also really wanting to win- which augurs well for what we would be capable of if we added Stuv and at least a 2017- version Hanners into the team.

Even when we were terrible last year we beat Melbourne (who made the prelim), on their home ground, drew with GWS (who finished top 6) and so easily could have beaten Hawthorn (who finished H&A top 4), so if we've got our s**t together again this year- as it looks like we might- and don't get crunched too hard by injuries, I don't see any reason we won't return to the sort of team we were in 2016/2017.

Loving the optimism!
Now if the injury gods could just smile on us for a change we’ll be all good to go.

Last edited:

LiterallyNobody

Cancelled due to poster being a Campaigner
30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hi guys. Haven’t posted here for a while. I must say the way we played in the JLT made me realise perhaps our future isn’t as bleak as I thought. We have some cracking kids in the ranks and I feel pretty confident we’ll actually do well with this new 6-6-6 rule. From what I’ve seen so far.

But as always I’m hesitant to get too optimistic based on two pre season games especially with our rising injury list. One thing I want to know. Is it just fear mongering by the media about Robbo based on him saying he was a bit woozy after the game (I forget the actual word he used but it was similar)?

And if Stuv doesn’t get back right away do we think it’s possible that I’m his absence Jack Steele could really rise to the occasion? Like what I’ve seen from him so far.

Snailspace13

Club Legend
May 27, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Will be better than last year and hopefully get 15 to 20 games into 6 to 8 young boys at least
I have us at best 13/14th at worse 17th our list is very thin even without injuries, hopefully set some foundations for next year and beyond.
only as good as your last game/season
Very similar forecast from the Experts at The Age unfortunately.

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
Very similar forecast from the Experts at The Age unfortunately.
Wouldn't be taking too much notice of what " the experts " have to say!
They have got it that wrong in recent years, it actually gives me heart for the upcoming season that we are about to have a good one!

Back