Opinion WHERE WILL THE IMPROVEMENT COME FROM?

Remove this Banner Ad

A few obvious team things - obvious to identify but not so straightforward to do: improved disposal efficiency; better familiarity, confidence and flexibility with gameplan; improved fitness; consistently staying in the contest when things aren't going our way, slightly better draw...

Looking back at my preseason best 22 for the 2021 season, 8 players played 13 games or less - Paton (0), Gresham (3), Carlisle (4), Hannebery (2), Marshall (13), Ryder (12), Clark (13), Jones (13) - Carlisle is gone but output from the rest should improve with better injury run.

Webster & DMac showed that they can impact more than we would have expected 12 months ago so hopefully this can continue in 2022.

Output from the following players was below potential in 2021 (for various reasons) - Long, Coffield, Hill, Butler, Crouch, Ross, Wood, Kent, Joyce, Battle, Billings - room for improvement for each of these players.

Young players still developing who can make steep improvement - Bytel, Byrnes, Connolly, Highmore, King.

New players who may be able to impact (Wang-Milera prob needs year in the ressies) - Owens, Windhager, Hayes.

So, in all, we lose one 4 game player from 2021 season (Carlisle) and all 3 players getting older (Ryder, Geary, Hannebery) should have at least as much impact as last year. Even if a quarter of the potential areas for improvement come to fruition we should make the 8.

I think these are some basics we need to challenge top 4 . At least 3/4 guys in all aus 40 at least 2/3 guys make the team.

I think these guys realistically could make it if we finnish top 4/5

Defenders - Highmore(don’t ask me why but im super high on him. He got so much better as the year progressed. Havnt had that level of toughness/intercept marking since Cripps Fisher. He’s also super mature.

Wilkie - speaks for itself

Mids
- I think two of

Clark, Jones, crouch need to become top 20 mids in the comp. I think Jones specifically is the one. When he’s on we’re on. His consistency has been a big issue tho. He also adds something that trans like the Dogs, Deez have that real burst out the midfield. Clark I think needs to average 25 midfield and we become an instantly better team.

Fwd
King is the obvious one I’d love to see him too 5 for contested marks and kick 50 goals.

In addition. I really think Owens if he gets a go could really add some tenacity to us. That is the first thing I thought of when watching him. A little like Archie Perkins, but if strength and swaggerX
I would add Doogs (def) and Gresh (mid) as potentials.

Who are the culprits pebbles? Is this a coaching issue or a player issue in your opinion?
Not who but more like "what".

I'm a great believer that at this level (and in a competition with so many equalisation factors built into it) having "confidence" in yourself, your team mates and your system is the key.

Watching Melbourne last year (just like the Doggies and the Tigers before that) the thing that strikes you is that they have an unshakeable confidence that if player "A" handballed from a pack as soon as they took possession, then players "B or C" would always be in the right position to capitalise on it.

And that can only happen if your players are prepared to run. (and if it went wrong you got the feeling that player "A" wouldn't be the one getting a razz from the coach.)

With the changes to the rules last year and the further emphasis on speeding the game up from stoppages that are coming in next year, if you are going sideways you may as well be going backwards.

So I'd forget about the skills training until a week before the first game and for the whole pre-season they can just run run run and then run some more.

Not who but more like "what".

I'm a great believer that at this level (and in a competition with so many equalisation factors built into it) having "confidence" in yourself, your team mates and your system is the key.

Watching Melbourne last year (just like the Doggies and the Tigers before that) the thing that strikes you is that they have an unshakeable confidence that if player "A" handballed from a pack as soon as they took possession, then players "B or C" would always be in the right position to capitalise on it.

And that can only happen if your players are prepared to run. (and if it went wrong you got the feeling that player "A" wouldn't be the one getting a razz from the coach.)

With the changes to the rules last year and the further emphasis on speeding the game up from stoppages that are coming in next year, if you are going sideways you may as well be going backwards.

So I'd forget about the skills training until a week before the first game and for the whole pre-season they can just run run run and then run some more.

Melbourne's good start built their foundation this season. Our 2022 fixture should allow us to get a fast start and build belief. We seem to get a hard fixture early most years and are playing catch up by round 6. We can't afford to fall to North Melbourne types that said.

I would add Doogs (def) and Gresh (mid) as potentials.
I’m
Very so so on Gresh because of the injury. In fact I hope he doesn’t end up with reciting soft tissue injuries. Also think we’ll play him as a forward which will be amazing having Gresh, Snags and Butler there makes for a dynamic forward line. Might be lacking some defensive pressure though.

Doogs , idk I think he’ll perform best if there’s another proper key defender there.

A better run with injuries should make us a top 8 team again IMO. However we need to find another gear to be a genuine premiership contender. To this end, a bulk of the improvement must come from the 2017-2018 draftees who will be turning 22-23 next season and beginning to enter their prime:

2017 - Clark, Coffield, Higgins
2018 - King, Bytel

4 first round draft picks! Plus Bytel, who by all accounts only slipped out of the first round due to injury. Our future likely rests upon the success or failure of this group

A better run with injuries should make us a top 8 team again IMO. However we need to find another gear to be a genuine premiership contender. To this end, a bulk of the improvement must come from the 2017-2018 draftees who will be turning 22-23 next season and beginning to enter their prime:

2017 - Clark, Coffield, Higgins
2018 - King, Bytel

4 first round draft picks! Plus Bytel, who by all accounts only slipped out of the first round due to injury. Our future likely rests upon the success or failure of this group

I’m surprised I’ve never actually looked at it that way as 4 first rounders and Bytel who as you said, was a very good prospect. Good shout.

Also helps that we have drafted very well outside the first round, like Paton for example in 2017.

I’m surprised I’ve never actually looked at it that way as 4 first rounders and Bytel who as you said, was a very good prospect. Good shout.

Also helps that we have drafted very well outside the first round, like Paton for example in 2017.

It's still that very top shelf that we lack. If those guys come on we are away. In a bit of purgatory otherwise.

First forward selected will be Max King, closely. followed by Cooper Sharman. Third is a long way behind those two.

Love this thread CursingFijian.

I think our improvement will come from:
Enright - good appointment for backline coach
Better fitness levels

Improvement from
Bytel, Clark, Coff, Byrnes, Hill, Higgins, King
These are the guys I expect can and will go up a level

Getting Gresh back will be a massive injection
Getting Paton back

Hopefully Roma can play most games
Hopefully Hanners can play a decent amount of games

When you look at all that potential improvement on this year, next year is looking quite bright.

We need Sincs, Steele, Doogs, Wilkie, Members to stay on the park tho.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Ross step up a notch either

Don’t believe we need much tweaking as the stars are aligning, you see the St Kilda wheelchair boys won the premiership in 2020, St Kilda blind boys won it in 2021, so it’s obviously got to be either the girls or the mens turn to win the premiership this year.

82387707-57D4-4E59-AA85-8769D67C02E9.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's Billings 26 - 150 games ?
I think what he is he is - good player and servant . Don't think he's ever going to be a star. Unfortunately. :mad:
The other 3 are younger . Clark IMO could become a top liner .

We still need him to be an A grade player not a sometimes player. He's getting very close to a disappointing waste of a career done in cruise mode. He does enough to get re contracted and then coasts through with little fuss.

We still need him to be an A grade player not a sometimes player. He's getting very close to a disappointing waste of a career done in cruise mode. He does enough to get re contracted and then coasts through with little fuss.
Agreed- but I've given up on him being the player we hoped. Think he'll give us a few more years of good service but don't think he'll be an A grader like Steele.

Agreed- but I've given up on him being the player we hoped. Think he'll give us a few more years of good service but don't think he'll be an A grader like Steele.

I think he needs to become a consistent good performer who leads by example. What ever level that is that he plays at.

I think he needs to become a consistent good performer who leads by example. What ever level that is that he plays at.
Generally find him reasonably consistent and durable. Just don't see him becoming a AA player or a b and f winner at the club. Think 4th is his highest ranking. If he can do that again I would be extremely happy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back