News Grand Final at the Gabba - Formerly: Where will this years grand final end up if victoria cant have crowds?

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think provisions for a medical pandemic that prevents people from attending public events would be written into the MCG Grand Final contract?

That's not as outlandish as you might think. For example, Ticketek's T&C states ticketholders would not be covered "where any national or international body or agency has imposed or issued a travel ban, advisory, warning or restriction on the movement of people due to the outbreak of a Communicable Disease". They chose not to enforce their own clause due to the public backlash that would occur if they did.

Given the MCG is to host 50 odd games a year according to the contract, why arent they kicking up a fuss that the AFL will get nowhere near that this year?

Because as it’s been said—- it can & will get negotiated.

My sentiment throughout (despite outrageous criticism from some) is that the current funding deal is attached to the GF. If the GF is to move, there will be modifications to the deal in favour of the Vic Gvt & the MCC.

For the AFL to decide to these modifications, they will need to ensure they still make the money back for 2020 they may lose out of changing the current arrangement.

Well done Daryl Kerrigan—- thank you for proving my point that many of you think it’s “all about the vibe”.

Did you enjoy melting like a child that some people have a different view of the world than you? This post should be stored in Bay 13 as a living memory to the hatred some people have towards Richmond supporters & the status quo.

Richmond supporters, and you and a couple of your equally challenged mates in particular have copped it because you come across the most petulant, brattish, imbecilic dullards on the face of the Earth. I asked what was to be gained, what benefit would be realised by playing the Grand Final at the MCG over a full stadium elsewhere, you've come up with nothing, just a quote from a 25 year old movie. Try harder.

Richmond supporters, and you and a couple of your equally challenged mates in particular have copped it because you come across the most petulant, brattish, imbecilic dullards on the face of the Earth. I asked what was to be gained, what benefit would be realised by playing the Grand Final at the MCG over a full stadium elsewhere, you've come up with nothing, just a quote from a 25 year old movie. Try harder.

How many more childish insults do you want to throw at me because you don’t like what I post??

Maybe I’d respond with an answer if you wrote like someone who respected the person their responding to.

My sentiment throughout (despite outrageous criticism from some) is that the current funding deal is attached to the GF. If the GF is to move, there will be modifications to the deal in favour of the Vic Gvt & the MCC.

For the AFL to decide to these modifications, they will need to ensure they still make the money back for 2020 they may lose out of changing the current arrangement.
Yeah but the money they lose from vic government could be made from other states that get it e.g. say Vic government pay them 5 million each year for the gf if it was rotated starting this year they could get 1 million each year from wa, sa, nsw , QLD and Vic governments

Yeah but the money they lose from vic government could be made from other states that get it e.g. say Vic government pay them 5 million each year for the gf if it was rotated starting this year they could get 1 million each year from wa, sa, nsw , QLD and Vic governments

Huh?

Firstly your Maths is way out. It’s approx $25 mil per year in funding attached to the Grand Final extension....

Secondly why would the all different state governments pay up when they aren’t getting the GF every year?

My sentiment has been from the start—do you think another state will provide the equivalent to 25 mil of funding to the AFL for the GF to make up for what could be lost in the current agreement?

Can’t be bothered reading the whole thing.

It should end up wherever we can have the biggest crowd. That’s the main argument for the MCG generally and nothing should change if this season it isn’t the MCG.

Ok, so be it, play the grand final at the MCG.

An empty stadium will be a great advertisement for the MCG, Melbourne and Victoria.

Ok, so be it, play the grand final at the MCG.

An empty stadium will be a great advertisement for the MCG, Melbourne and Victoria.

Struggling to comprehend what I’m saying, eh?

It will most likely move— but only once McGowan, Marshall or Palaszczuk come to the table with money for the AFL to compensate them for the money they lose by modifying the current deal.

Well done Daryl Kerrigan—- thank you for proving my point that many of you think it’s “all about the vibe”.

Did you enjoy melting like a child that some people have a different view of the world than you? This post should be stored in Bay 13 as a living memory to the hatred some people have towards Richmond supporters & the status quo.
He’s right, though.

Logistically it makes sense to stage the GF on the Eastern seaboard. Fourteen of the eighteen clubs reside there. However the decision really should be determined by which State will allow a full crowd. In a season where the fixture is being programmed on a week to week basis it is impossible to predict the lie of the land in three months. Two and a half weeks ago it appeared likely that crowds would be allowed to attend games in Victoria. Now Victorian suburbs are locked down. The Premiers of three AFL states are transparently playing to their electorates with an anti Victorian rhetoric that may come back to bite them on the arse at some future date. Hopefully the lessons learned from the Melbourne hotel fiasco will prevent similar disasters from occurring outside Victoria but there are no certainties with this pandemic. If we get through this chaotic home and away season the decision on a venue for the ultimate game cannot be made until probably a fortnight out.

Struggling to comprehend what I’m saying, eh?

It will most likely move— but only once McGowan, Marshall or Palaszczuk come to the table with money for the AFL to compensate them for the money they lose by modifying the current deal.
No Premier is going to hand over millions in a pandemic to do a favour for the AFL (and it is a favour, because the alternative is unpalatable for all parties). Any losses incurred this year by the AFL, MCC, Vic government etc will just have to be written off as the cost of the emergency.

The money will be made in ticketing. 50000 tickets at an average of $300 a pop is $15,000,000. More money making ssociated events can be held. This where the AFL can make money, and if need be flick some onto the whiney little bitches at the MCC/Vic Govt.

No other state government should pay a cent. If the MCG can't hold any crowd, playing it elsewhere is the only way anybody makes any money. Economics 101.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huh?

Firstly your Maths is way out. It’s approx $25 mil per year in funding attached to the Grand Final extension....

Secondly why would the all different state governments pay up when they aren’t getting the GF every year?

My sentiment has been from the start—do you think another state will provide the equivalent to 25 mil of funding to the AFL for the GF to make up for what could be lost in the current agreement?
If it's 25 mill then rotate it and get $5 mill from each state government every year and rotate it every year with 5 year rotation

Huh?

Not sure how you get 25 mill. The afl collected $225 million for their marvel upgrades - which benefit the Victorian public. Doesn’t do much for us over here. WA taxpayers poured more than a billion into a new stadium, which in turn gifted the AFL 20,000 extra seats to sell for each final after moving from Subiaco. We don’t have to buy the gf off the AFL, it’s been more than paid for already, same as SA. The only compensation the mcc should be granted is the loss of reserved seat sales, which is around 15,000 seats at $30 a pop. Less than $500,000

Not sure how you get 25 mill. The afl collected $225 million for their marvel upgrades - which benefit the Victorian public. Doesn’t do much for us over here. WA taxpayers poured more than a billion into a new stadium, which in turn gifted the AFL 20,000 extra seats to sell for each final after moving from Subiaco. We don’t have to buy the gf off the AFL, it’s been more than paid for already, same as SA. The only compensation the mcc should be granted is the loss of reserved seat sales, which is around 15,000 seats at $30 a pop. Less than $500,000

The total deal $500 mil (for a 20 year extension—thus the maths) as it included upgrades to Ikon Park, Morrabin, Victoria Park, etc. on top of the Marvel Stadium upgrades.

Once again—- there’s this massive assumption that the Victorian Government will just allow the Grand Final to go elsewhere & still pay up on the upgrades for those stadiums to make the numbers of other stadiums work.

If it's 25 mill then rotate it and get $5 mill from each state government every year and rotate it every year with 5 year rotation

Do you really think any state government will hand over $5 mil a year for something that may not even occur within that leaderships term of office??

Great in a hypothetical form — not so much in reality.

Why should other state governments pony up for Victorian infrastructure upgrades?

Why, in what should be a level playing field sporting competition, is a league so indentured to a particular state government? It screams favour at best, rife for corruption at worst.

If it wasn’t for the ownership of Marvel Stadium and the loan the AFL has been able to Aquire due to it— there’s a good chance that some clubs (including your own) wouldn’t even be still playing....

Why should other state governments pony up for Victorian infrastructure upgrades?

Why, in what should be a level playing field sporting competition, is a league so indentured to a particular state government? It screams favour at best, rife for corruption at worst.
Mind boggling isn’t it? In some ways it would be fitting to have them run out in front of a empty mcg just to prove how messed up this league is

You've read the contract have you?

No, but I understand common sense, logic and know a little about how other venues operate.

Venue management provides the venue.
Selling tickets is the responsibility of those who hire the venue.

But that's not the case at the MCG and you know it. The AFL get far from a clean stadium.

Doesn't need to be a completely clean stadium for that to apply.

Selling/assigning seats, in whatever fashion is the AFLs legal right/responsibility for ~75% of the ground.

Doesn't need to be a completely clean stadium for that to apply.

Selling/assigning seats, in whatever fashion is the AFLs legal right/responsibility for ~75% of the ground.

But that's not true either - there have been plenty of complaints by fans on this forum about how the MCC allocates reserved seating and GA. The bays that are GA (for instance) are controlled by the ground and all info about that is published by the MCC on their website. And they can seemingly change it on a whim.
For most stadia in the country you would have a point, but the MCG contract is weird and unique. The landlord seems to exhibit a ridiculous level of control over events that are held there, especially AFL matches.
Bottom line is that there would be plenty in the AFL contract in respect of access and control of seating. Its not just a matter of the AFL getting the ground and the MCC stepping aside.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back