News Grand Final at the Gabba - Formerly: Where will this years grand final end up if victoria cant have crowds?

wal

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
EFFC
Sorry, you are wrong.

The Force Majeure event would be terminated under frustration.

Unless there were specific force majeure clauses within the contract.
Exactly,

So the AFL Grand Final remains in Victoria, where it's contracted to be.
Wrong again, but hey at least you learnt how to spell correctly now.
You seem to have difficulty in differentiating between the AFL and the Victorian Government

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Wrong again, but hey at least you learnt how to spell correctly now.
You seem to have difficulty in differentiating between the AFL and the Victorian Government

That was another poster, but nice try.

You're wrong, sorry.

I'm not sure what your last point is referring to. The contract is between the AFL and the Victorian State Government and the MCC Trust (The State Government of Victoria essentially)

parano1a

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
If it can't be in Victoria it should be at ANZ Stadium. Not sure if this could logistically work if the AFL and NRL Grand Finals were on the same weekend, but it's the best option overall.

wal

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
EFFC
The contract is between the AFL and the MCC.
Victorian Government has a separate contract with the AFL (essentially a bribe) for the AFL to sign the contract with the MCC.

WA or SA is under no obligation to pay compensation to the Victorian Government.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Victorian Government has a separate contract with the AFL (essentially a bribe) for the AFL to sign the contract with the MCC.

WA or SA is under no obligation to pay compensation to the Victorian Government.

My understanding is that its a three way contract between the MCG Trust (The Government of Victoria), the MCC and the AFL. This is partly due to the convoluted takeover of the parkland from the City of Melbourne, and the extended contract which is money flowing from the Victorian Government to the AFL.

Theres some more detail mandating the insertion of the extended contract into the MCC Usage Agreement in the funding deed for the stadium.

Last edited:

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United

The MCG is owned by the State Government of Victoria.

The MCG Trustee's are appointed by Victorian Parliament.

wal

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
EFFC
Its a three way contract between the MCG Trust (The Government of Victoria), the MCC and the AFL. This is partly due to the convoluted takeover of the parkland from the City of Melbourne, and the extended contract which is money flowing from the Victorian Government to the AFL.
Either way, there is still no legal obligation whatsoever for WA or SA to compensate the Victorian Government if the AFL play the GF in Perth or Adelaide

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Either way, there is still no legal obligation whatsoever for WA or SA to compensate the Victorian Government if the AFL play the GF in Perth or Adelaide

There's also no legal obligation for the Victorian government to pay the $14m in annualized stadium upgrades on an AFL asset.

Which ever way you want to paint it, the AFL takes a $20m hit on moving the GF to one of those states without any return payments.

OF that figure, the MCC would also recoup the $6m per year it is paying the AFL for the actual game.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

Yeah I doubt thered be any need for another state to compensate if the AFL moved it, but the AFL would possibly have to do so, and would want compensation from the states to pay their compensation to the MCC. In 2002, the Victorian Government said its not about the money.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
if by some strange occurance it could be in Perth then the government will pay 20-30 million to do it.
They will get that back easily in Hospitality, accommodation, Sponsors, etc.

Lets face it, not going to be a cheap event for anyone travelling to it. Hotels will be 500 per night minimum, Flights will be tripled as they are for all big events, local Pubs, restaurants etc will charge like wounded bulls because they can.
Even with a free ticket to the game then you aint getting out of the weekend under 2-3k based on a 2-3 day stay.
Great for the state.

But I agree with others that it won't be in Perth.

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Yeah I doubt thered be any need for another state to compensate if the AFL moved it, but the AFL would possibly have to do so, and would want compensation from the states to pay their compensation to the MCC. In 2002, the Victorian Government said its not about the money.

What would be the biggest major event either of those two state Governments pay for currently?

They aren't accustom to major events and certainly not paying for them.

My understanding is that its a three way contract between the MCG Trust (The Government of Victoria), the MCC and the AFL. This is partly due to the convoluted takeover of the parkland from the City of Melbourne, and the extended contract which is money flowing from the Victorian Government to the AFL.

Theres some more detail mandating the insertion of the extended contract into the MCC Usage Agreement in the funding deed for the stadium.

For those who don't have the time to read. Here it is in picture form.

pork-barrel-316.jpg

wal

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
EFFC
There's also no legal obligation for the Victorian government to pay the $14m in annualized stadium upgrades on an AFL asset.
yes they do, it is in the contract
Which ever way you want to paint it, the AFL takes a $20m hit on moving the GF to one of those states without any return payments.
The AFL would make 20 million in ticket sales from a GF in Perth
The MCC would also recoup the $6m per year it is paying the AFL for the actual game.
Doubt it

wal

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
EFFC
WA gives the AFL the stadium rent free and the AFL makes 20 million in ticket sales alone

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
From the before attached contract between the State Government and the AFL for the Etihad Stadium funding:

1593660037605.png

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
The AFL's contractual requirements to recieve the $225m of Etihad upgrades:

1593660173176.png

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
That’s completely true.

If I go to an house auction and tell everyone there I really want that house and deserve it more than anyone else, but don’t bid, I don’t get the house.

If the owners want to give it to me for nothing that’s great. But I’m more than likely to look like the fool that wants something for nothing.

Pottering

Club Legend
Aug 13, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Redlegs), Hiroshima Carp
Anywhere in late october is going to be a decent chance of nudging a 30 degree day.

Not really, last October there were only 2 days 30 or above and another 8 that were 25 or above.

I was at the 2015 Grand Final which was the hottest on record at 31.3 degrees and that was September. Personally I would have been happy if they'd called the match off due to the weather, the Eagles had a shocker.

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
yes they do, it is in the contract

The AFL would make 20 million in ticket sales from a GF in Perth

Doubt it

Wrong.

The AFL GF has to be played in Melbourne every single year to receive the $225m.

If they breach the contract after the Etihad stadium upgrades, the AFL has to return the resultant money owed at 2% interest.

The AFL is going to be under pressure not to breach the contract this year anyway with Victorian clubs entering hubs for an extended period of time and not being able to meet the 43 games contract at the MCG.

wal

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
EFFC
out of curiosity, who cancelled the F1 race, was it the Victorian Government or the Formula One Group?

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Gill just needs to pull the trigger on this now and announce it will be played in a 'safe' state and have WA, SA & NSW bid for the rights. Sure it will annoy Eddie and might need to pay some compensation to the MCC, but Dan Andrews should walk away with his tail between his legs and accept that he has failed us and we dont deserve to host the biggest sporting event of the year in 2020

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
out of curiosity, who cancelled the F1 race, was it the Victorian Government or the Formula One Group?

This was complex, as neither wanted to be the decision maker because that would mean they owned the compensation pay out.. If i remember correctly it was facical, we had reports that drivers had boarded flights out of the country and fans were lining up at the gates to be let in, catering trucks delivering food, staff already clocked on before a decision was made.

Back