News Grand Final at the Gabba - Formerly: Where will this years grand final end up if victoria cant have crowds?

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely the Vic Government did this shady deal with the AFL because of the Economic activity the Grand Final Brings? If there are no crowds, it generates no economic activity. No tourism, no spending up big at hotels, No functions No nothing. Nobody will make a cent out of it.

If there is no crowds allowed in Victoria and other places can have full crowds, everybody involved, from the AFL, MCC and Victorian State Government will look very small, insular and myopic. They can wave their little contract around but it will be a completely disappointing outcome. Even Richmond supporters could understand this.

On a side note, the fact that Eddie flaunts his influence and involvement in this MCG deal shows what a corrupt little inbred League the AFL is.

The NRL Grand Final fails to sell out most years despite ticket prices significantly less than the AFL Grand Final. You can easily buy tickets in the days leading up to it. I can't see ANZ Stadium selling out unless tickets are cheap.

Optus Stadium would easily sell out with an average ticket price of $500. At an average price of $500, ANZ Stadium wouldn't sell out for a GWS vs Sydney GF.

Adelaide Oval would sell out, but wouldn't be able to charge as much per ticket as in Perth. Perth has double the population and much more wealth.

Even if you didn't have to quarantine a large portion of both the MCC members and AFL members will skip the year simply because of what the 2-3 day outlay will be to go to a game of footy. 70% won't take up their right to the GF.
I really don't know but again assuming no quarantine then I would think half ground capacity for this one of event would be tourists. 30K??

How will they get to Perth?

Every time there is a WA team in the GF, we hear at great length how packed the transport system is getting their allotment of fans (~15K) from Perth to Melbourne.

If you have a plan to expand the transport network to get twice that number (or more) to make the trip, I'm curious what it is.

BTW. This isn't about AFL, MCC, or whatever group, it's the gross transport capacity that is the limitation. Those groups would just form (small) parts of that number.

Every time there is a WA team in the GF, we hear at great length how packed the transport system is getting their allotment of fans (~15K) from Perth to Melbourne.

If you have a plan to expand the transport network to get twice that number (or more) to make the trip, I'm curious what it is.

BTW. This isn't about AFL, MCC, or whatever group, it's the gross transport capacity that is the limitation. Those groups would just form (small) parts of that number.
There is no problem, the border is closed, no-one can come anyway. It will be the peoples* grand final.

*people of WA

Last edited:
This a weird season, so for this season only maybe some thinking outside the box is the answer. I have no iron in the fire in relation to the grand final, all that I want is that this season we must have it in the best available stadium, assuming the MCG is still rolling tumbleweeds.

If they try to play at the MCG, there will be no income from bums on seats, but will cost a lot to staff the ground, even if the players play with no crowd. Advertisers will pay below par for a sub par product. Equation = zero dollars in - stadium staff costs.

Play the game in Adelaide, Sydney etc, there will be 50 000 X ticket dollars. Advertising royalties will be high. The season’s AFL coffers are filled rather than extracted.

Above are the two simple equations, make up your minds as to which is preferred.

NSW would be the best option for mine. Biggest stadium, biggest crowd.
Plus the AFL has pumped hundreds of millions of dollars into that state promoting grassroots footy and supporting the Giants. This would be a great opportunity to continue to grow the game in that state.
On a garbage surface. The ground is a disgrace

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Force majure would terminate the contract.

Do you honestly think the AFL would sacrifice a deal with 37 years remaining for a single impacted season?
ha ha ha ha
Do you think the Victorian Government / MCC would sacrifice a deal with 37 years remaining.
there is other state governments the AFL could do a deal with, no other football codes the MCC / Vic Gov could do a deal with.

NRL and AFL GF are scheduled for the same weekend, so AFL will have to change the date to play the GF in Sydney.

It won't sell out in Sydney. They can't sell out an NRL Grand Final. AFL will have to offer a lot of comp tickets and even then there will be empty seats.

It will sell out many times over in Perth.

AFL will easily miss out on $10 million in ticket revenue holding it in Sydney over Perth.

Wouldnt they just put on extra flights just as they do to Melbourne on GF week? Don’t think that would be a big issue.
But don’t really know either as it’s never happened. Who really knows mate.
But if by some chance it was in Perth I have no doubt that those who can go and want to go will be able to get here.

If it got moved it would be Perth, subject to whatever the next few months bring, so Channel 7 can claim it was already a night game on the east coast and the GF goes night.
So long to go before then though. Any state could be in a second wave, and Victoria potentially cleared up, and there's still a chance the saeason could be delayed again at some stage.

Last edited:
Surely the Vic Government did this shady deal with the AFL because of the Economic activity the Grand Final Brings? If there are no crowds, it generates no economic activity. No tourism, no spending up big at hotels, No functions No nothing. Nobody will make a cent out of it.

If there is no crowds allowed in Victoria and other places can have full crowds, everybody involved, from the AFL, MCC and Victorian State Government will look very small, insular and myopic. They can wave their little contract around but it will be a completely disappointing outcome. Even Richmond supporters could understand this.

On a side note, the fact that Eddie flaunts his influence and involvement in this MCG deal shows what a corrupt little inbred League the AFL is.

Of course they won't end up having it there if no crowds are allowed. It's about bargaining position though, other states can bid for the GF and the MCC will allow the game to be moved this year in exchange for a fee and an additional 20 years on the MCG GF contract.

Of course they won't end up having it there if no crowds are allowed. It's about bargaining position though, other states can bid for the GF and the MCC will allow the game to be moved this year in exchange for a fee and an additional 20 years on the MCG GF contract.

There is nothing to bargain for.

Take it to Sydney and fail to sell out. They fail to sell out NRL Grand Finals.

Take it to Perth. Will sell it out many times over with $500 average ticket price.

Average ticket price for Sydney will be $200 to fill the stadium and it still won't sell out. Only a small number of people watch footy. That's assuming NSW can even lift crowd restrictions.

NSW govt will have to offer $10 million upfront to match what the AFL would receive in ticket revenue from Perth.

If the AFL want to maximise revenue they hold it in Perth.

They've made players take pay cuts. I wouldn't be turning my nose up at an additional $10 million in ticket revenue when so many have had their pay cut, so many have been sacked.

bid for the GF? ha ha ha
more chance the MCC will have to subcontract the GF out to a stadium that can actually hold the GF to honour their contract to the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back