News Grand Final at the Gabba - Formerly: Where will this years grand final end up if victoria cant have crowds?

Remove this Banner Ad

Assuming the current restrictions...
Reckon the AFL will wait until the last minute. Perhaps after the prelims to decide the venue.
No point having two Vic clubs at ANZ if we can’t travel.
If GWS is playing they would want ANZ but depending on who they play a low crowd could be embarrassing. Reckon Port or WCE fans would travel. Have it at the Gabba if Bris v Vic or GWS.

ANZ won't be able to sell out a Grand Final. They can't even sell out the NRL Grand Final despite ticket prices significantly cheaper than the AFL Grand Final.

It will be an embarrassing look for the AFL and they'll cost themselves $10 million in revenue by holding the GF at ANZ over Optus Stadium.

There is a lot of water to go under the bridge before this happens. If crowds are allowed in Victoria, the MCG should host the Grand Final because they have the current deal.

If that is not the case, it should be a neutral ground, either Brisbane, Adelaide or Perth. Hopefully the respective state governments would allow some fans of any potential competing Victorian clubs to travel.

There is a lot of water to go under the bridge before this happens. If crowds are allowed in Victoria, the MCG should host the Grand Final because they have the current deal.

If that is not the case, it should be a neutral ground, either Brisbane, Adelaide or Perth. Hopefully the respective state governments would allow some fans of any potential competing Victorian clubs to travel.
I said earlier that a lot can change in four or five months and that's still true. However, it took WA three months to get back to full crowds and that was with a starting number lower than Victoria and a lockdown for some of that. Victoria's numbers are higher and it is unlikely they will do another full lockdown, so I don't think there will be full crowds allowed back by the end of the year.

Are we ignoring the fact they have current deal because no other ground / state even had a chance to bid / apply?

Current deal is basically Melbourne government paying the AFL money that has to support Victorian football (so it's actually super unfair to AFL clubs based outside of Victoria).

So if Victoria can't have fans, then another state should match the money for this year - with the caveat the AFL spends it on football in that state (ie, WA government matching money has to be spend by AFL in WA). That's matches the Victorian arrangement....

they should put that game in sydney to do a fu** you to the nrl. notice how they and all the fans will have a big melt with this. though the thing that will realistically happen is a place like an adelaide. i cant see it happening having it somewhere in the west with the fact that if thwy want a night or twilight final it will start quite late.

It's pretty easy for Perth to accommodate the best ratings time over east. Making pre-game or half-time "entertainment" look better shouldn't come into it. If the AFL is serious about saving money, they would cancel everything except the anthem and game itself. Hopefully permanently. Nobody cares, it's not the Superbowl and we shouldn't try to be. Send Auskick/juniors out like normal games.

Would love for it to be in the home city of the top team... that atmosphere would be magical.

More likely, the AFL will go for a sterile crowd of slightly confused Sydney-siders so they can squeeze out a few more dollars.
I say orfside that man eh wat??

Optus Stadium but have a mechanism in place so that right after prelim finals if it’s either:
Port vs Adel (AO)
GWS vs Syd (ANZ)
Bris vs GC (I can dream) (Gabba)

Then it’s played in the home state of the two teams. Would be nice if it was just the highest ranked team hosting but I’ll admit a say Bris vs Coll GF seems better suited for neutral ground in the largest possible stadium to me.

If the MCG can host 100,000 then this is redundant and it’s played there.

It's pretty easy for Perth to accommodate the best ratings time over east. Making pre-game or half-time "entertainment" look better shouldn't come into it. If the AFL is serious about saving money, they would cancel everything except the anthem and game itself. Hopefully permanently. Nobody cares, it's not the Superbowl and we shouldn't try to be. Send Auskick/juniors out like normal games.
Who needs an national anthem for a game between two local teams?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love for it to be in the home city of the top team... that atmosphere would be magical.

likely, the AFL will go for a sterile crowd of slightly confused Sydney-siders so they can squeeze out a few more dollars.
I say orfside that man eh wat??
...Kranky Al is posting like a drunken lunatic again. Must be 2pm Perth time on a Monday :rolleyes:
Or you didnt catch that i was referencing the the slightly confused sydney siders as nuance is something that escapes you.

At this point in time,there is no way crowds will be allowed for Victorian games. Ie Gf at MCG.
Today I heard talk of a new Victoria wide full lockdown.

Vic needs to get this under control, not worry about contracts for GF etc.

A Grand Final at an empty or half full MCG will be hilarious when adequate stadiums will be ready to go across the country to operate at 100% capacity. That will really demonstrate to everyone just how Vic-centric the league is.

I welcome the AFL playing at a half full MCG. Please do it.

Optus Stadium has been declared the most beautiful sports facility in the world in the Prix Versailles 2019 international architecture awards.

ERGO ---

P E R T H .... H A S .... A U S T R A L I A ' S ..... S H O W P I E C E ...... S T A D I UM........
hahahahahaha

Pertinent Prix Versailles 2019 entrant criterion:

Opening between midnight January 31 2018 and midnight January 31 2019. This mean Perth stadium was not judged against the MCG, SCG, Adelaide Oval, Metricon, the Gabba and any other sporting ground in Australia that AFL hosts games on thats as not opened in 2019...

Bassendean Swans C1 team took out the 2019 Premiership. They didn't play West Coast, Collingwood AFL sides. They didn't play East Perth, Glenelg or Box Hill state league teams. Does this make them the greatest Australian Rules team in the country?

Ergo, logic is not a strong point for you.

Vic needs to get this under control, not worry about contracts for GF etc.

This.

This virus has the potential to absolutely devastate an entire state, their economy and their population if it isn't contained soon.

Yet, somehow, a certain group of people have the Grand Final at the MCG as their No. 1 priority, forget it, it's gone.

Spread all other finals across the SCG, Gabba, AO, Metricon and Spotless, keep Optus fresh for the Grand Final.

Entire home and away season is on it's head so may aswell spread the finals around, what's the difference?

This is all considering the whole country doesn't do a Victoria.

hahahahahaha

Pertinent Prix Versailles 2019 entrant criterion:

Opening between midnight January 31 2018 and midnight January 31 2019. This mean Perth stadium was not judged against the MCG, SCG, Adelaide Oval, Metricon, the Gabba and any other sporting ground in Australia that AFL hosts games on thats as not opened in 2019...

Bassendean Swans C1 team took out the 2019 Premiership. They didn't play West Coast, Collingwood AFL sides. They didn't play East Perth, Glenelg or Box Hill state league teams. Does this make them the greatest Australian Rules team in the country?

Ergo, logic is not a strong point for you.
Well if anyone decides to hold a competition for best design of a sports stadium that looks like a toilet bowl Adelaide Oval would be a stool in.

1594039658265.png

More likely, the AFL will go for a sterile crowd of slightly confused Sydney-siders so they can squeeze out a few more dollars.

Tbh in this climate, not necessarily a bad decision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back