Where Will This Years Premier Be Decided?

May 29, 2007
australia
Alvie FC
Lets take a look the Key area's which will decide who takes the cup this year.

LORNES MIDFIELD
The best in the competition. Has buckets of class in the best two players in this competition in Casey Tully and Jack Hollmer. Together with the ruck work of lee hollmer at their disposal, these two threaten to blow the finals series wide open. While Irrewarra's middle is handy, with the likes of beckett, elborough and cartright, and dunne, irrewarra lack hardness and a genuine ball winner. They are so used to winning the ball and you only have to watch them when they are winning easily, they all line up round the back of the packs for the easy posessions and that is where irrewarra can be beaten. Who will stand up for warra and win that hard ball? Whether they have looked at that question and answered it since last year will determine whether they will fall down in the same way they did last year and the year before that.

KEY POSITION FORWARDS
This is where Irrewarra are superior to lorne and where they can hurt them if they get a suitable day. Casey, Seiz, Harty, Monk and even Hinge and Elborough can all provide targets up forward and i doubt Lorne have the backman to match them. Birregurra, as B HAWK POINTED OUT, have a very solid back unit which may be able to close down Irrewarras forwards. Lornes forward line is suspect. While there is big wraps on Clancy down there, the fact remains that a fifteen year old kid has been there leading goalscorer each of the last three weeks. Dont expect Davies to do that on the big stage vs warra, it would be wrong to rely on such an inexperienced kid to kick your goals. They rely on their midfield for a lot of goals and they will have to do this again. Heathcote is only an average player and this will allow meade to go to clancy most likely and that will be a hard day at the office for him. Whelan goes missing when you need him but mason is a star who could possibly cause some headaches for opposition sides. Alvie have the goal kicking power up their to worry irrewarra but may fall down in other area's.

CHOKE..YET AGAIN?
You wont have to wait long for the doubt to sink in if things dont go irrewarras way early. The fans will get vocal and and mostly negative and the player will start to doubt themselves. This is why you have to attack them early and plant a seed of doubt in the minds of warra players right from the word go. If Lorne can skip clear by four or five goals to quarter time then there odds would shorten dramatically. Lorne are proven under the finals pressure in recent years and if they can exploit a jittery irrewarra early then they will go along way to winning the flag.

JACK HOLLMER
Dan Casey should have nightmares about this bloke every night in the lead up to the grand final. Has done it to them before and will do it again. Capable of turning a match on its head and irrewarras best option may not be to tag him as that will not work but to go into damage control and try to minimize the impact hollmer has on the game. It will not take one player but a team effort to stop this bloke and if hes down you can rely on Tully to lift. Have fun with this one warra.

WEATHER
If dan casey is not a religous man then he should become one. Every drop of rain which falls brings the opposition sides closer and closer to irrewarra and Birregurra exposed this as a chink in warra Armour earlier in the year. The poor state of the central reserve will be in lorne and birregurras favour and if we get a wet and muddy September the 13th, then rest assured, irrewarra will be spewing because it may well cancel out there advantage on the competition.

KEY PLAYERS
Players to watch throughout the finals series include:
Casey Tully and Jack Hollmer from lorne for reasons already spoken about. Khan beckett is a highly skilled player who is my tip for best on ground if they win easily and have things there own way which is when he does his best work. Jacob Mason is a terrific player from birregurra. Tom McCrickard is perhaps the classiest player in the competition and would slot nicely into most sides in Victoria.

SO WHAT WILL HAPPEN?
Lorne will beat birregurra in week one, alvie will beat forrest. Dont be surprised to see irrewarra beat lorne the next weak and i dont think lorne would mind this as the less finals experiance warra get the better. Birre and alvie could go either way but it wont matter as lorne will beat either side in the prelim and gain some very important confidence going into the big one. Lorne vs Warra round three and i think this year irrewarra will turn the tables. Take quality players such as coutts, langdon, parsons, steven, holyroyd, barham out of lornes last years premiership side and inject meade, beckett, black, casey who are all quality players into irrewarra, i think they have the edge. While lorne are a young side who naturally will have improved alot and as alot are homegrown may have more to play for than warra who are mostly imports. I think that warra will win comfortably unfortunately but a lorne win would not surprise and if we get a wet day then its an even ball game. Whether warra have correctly addressed last years deficiencies and whether they can overcome the confidence shattering efforts of the previous two years will be interesting.

Hilly72

Mar 28, 2003
Fitzroy FC, Birregurra FC
nice work Boom, but I wouldn't discount Birre as yet. The club has been starved of finals footy and is loaded with players that are playing for the jumper and will play their hearts out.

What are your thoughts on the Ressies final series?

Grey Matter

Jun 23, 2008
geelong
thankyou b hawk
Must admit Boom I dont disagree with your final outcome but think we will have a slightly different scenario for the finals. Alvie will beat Forrest easily. I think this week Birre will beat Lorne for a few reasons..no Hollmer (vfl) no Hollmer (falcons) and a Hollmer with a crook shoulder and weather conditions which are likely to suit a stronger bodied team like Birre. Lorne have a lot of lightly built types who will relish a fast track which they wont get this week. I would also think Birre wouldn't be dumb enough to let Tully run around unchecked. I'm sure they have someone in their team willing to sacrifice their game for the team. If they lose and Tully is BOG then fool on them. Lorne will then beat Alvie (but should not underestimate them) and IB will do Birre. The prelim will be a cracker and my guess is with a least 1 Hollmer back, Lorne will get the bikkies provided Whelan and Mason dont cut loose:thumbsu:. All to no avail though as given a half decent day IB's best is probably 6 goals better than Lorne's best. IB's year..love em' or hate em' :):thumbsu:

go wide

Mar 24, 2008
lorne hinterland
swamp rats dolphins
Lets take a look the Key area's which will decide who takes the cup this year.

LORNES MIDFIELD
The best in the competition. Has buckets of class in the best two players in this competition in Casey Tully and Jack Hollmer. Together with the ruck work of lee hollmer at their disposal, these two threaten to blow the finals series wide open. While Irrewarra's middle is handy, with the likes of beckett, elborough and cartright, and dunne, irrewarra lack hardness and a genuine ball winner. They are so used to winning the ball and you only have to watch them when they are winning easily, they all line up round the back of the packs for the easy posessions and that is where irrewarra can be beaten. Who will stand up for warra and win that hard ball? Whether they have looked at that question and answered it since last year will determine whether they will fall down in the same way they did last year and the year before that.

KEY POSITION FORWARDS
This is where Irrewarra are superior to lorne and where they can hurt them if they get a suitable day. Casey, Seiz, Harty, Monk and even Hinge and Elborough can all provide targets up forward and i doubt Lorne have the backman to match them. Birregurra, as B HAWK POINTED OUT, have a very solid back unit which may be able to close down Irrewarras forwards. Lornes forward line is suspect. While there is big wraps on Clancy down there, the fact remains that a fifteen year old kid has been there leading goalscorer each of the last three weeks. Dont expect Davies to do that on the big stage vs warra, it would be wrong to rely on such an inexperienced kid to kick your goals. They rely on their midfield for a lot of goals and they will have to do this again. Heathcote is only an average player and this will allow meade to go to clancy most likely and that will be a hard day at the office for him. Whelan goes missing when you need him but mason is a star who could possibly cause some headaches for opposition sides. Alvie have the goal kicking power up their to worry irrewarra but may fall down in other area's.

CHOKE..YET AGAIN?
You wont have to wait long for the doubt to sink in if things dont go irrewarras way early. The fans will get vocal and and mostly negative and the player will start to doubt themselves. This is why you have to attack them early and plant a seed of doubt in the minds of warra players right from the word go. If Lorne can skip clear by four or five goals to quarter time then there odds would shorten dramatically. Lorne are proven under the finals pressure in recent years and if they can exploit a jittery irrewarra early then they will go along way to winning the flag.

JACK HOLLMER
Dan Casey should have nightmares about this bloke every night in the lead up to the grand final. Has done it to them before and will do it again. Capable of turning a match on its head and irrewarras best option may not be to tag him as that will not work but to go into damage control and try to minimize the impact hollmer has on the game. It will not take one player but a team effort to stop this bloke and if hes down you can rely on Tully to lift. Have fun with this one warra.

WEATHER
If dan casey is not a religous man then he should become one. Every drop of rain which falls brings the opposition sides closer and closer to irrewarra and Birregurra exposed this as a chink in warra Armour earlier in the year. The poor state of the central reserve will be in lorne and birregurras favour and if we get a wet and muddy September the 13th, then rest assured, irrewarra will be spewing because it may well cancel out there advantage on the competition.

KEY PLAYERS
Players to watch throughout the finals series include:
Casey Tully and Jack Hollmer from lorne for reasons already spoken about. Khan beckett is a highly skilled player who is my tip for best on ground if they win easily and have things there own way which is when he does his best work. Jacob Mason is a terrific player from birregurra. Tom McCrickard is perhaps the classiest player in the competition and would slot nicely into most sides in Victoria.

SO WHAT WILL HAPPEN?
Lorne will beat birregurra in week one, alvie will beat forrest. Dont be surprised to see irrewarra beat lorne the next weak and i dont think lorne would mind this as the less finals experiance warra get the better. Birre and alvie could go either way but it wont matter as lorne will beat either side in the prelim and gain some very important confidence going into the big one. Lorne vs Warra round three and i think this year irrewarra will turn the tables. Take quality players such as coutts, langdon, parsons, steven, holyroyd, barham out of lornes last years premiership side and inject meade, beckett, black, casey who are all quality players into irrewarra, i think they have the edge. While lorne are a young side who naturally will have improved alot and as alot are homegrown may have more to play for than warra who are mostly imports. I think that warra will win comfortably unfortunately but a lorne win would not surprise and if we get a wet day then its an even ball game. Whether warra have correctly addressed last years deficiencies and whether they can overcome the confidence shattering efforts of the previous two years will be interesting.
well done boom almost a personal best from you ,had all the elements, facts,insight,knowledge.humour and just enough bagging of dan casey. On the subject of superstar harley davies,he gets the third best backman{if such a thing exists} each week and yes Lorne is expecting the kid to shine on the big stage , he loves an audience.

May 29, 2007
australia
Alvie FC
nice work Boom, but I wouldn't discount Birre as yet. The club has been starved of finals footy and is loaded with players that are playing for the jumper and will play their hearts out.

i see warra playing alvie in the final and beating them. depends who probably gets knocked out first in the seniors as to who gets players back etc.

ozdevil1978

Jun 17, 2007
Anakie
i see warra playing alvie in the final and beating them. depends who probably gets knocked out first in the seniors as to who gets players back etc.

we have a good side 4 this weeks game boom way better side when we last met alvie so should be a gr8 game saturday looking forward 2 it m8

go wide

Mar 24, 2008
lorne hinterland
swamp rats dolphins

good luck to all involved today,one to watch for the dolphins is young midfielder johnny leontinades,skillful,pace to burn,a big leap and tons of courage,could be a smokey to pick up the dangerous mason.

May 29, 2007
australia
Alvie FC
good luck to all involved today,one to watch for the dolphins is young midfielder johnny leontinades,skillful,pace to burn,a big leap and tons of courage,could be a smokey to pick up the dangerous mason.
yes agree leontinades showed a bit. Kyall hollmer has pace to burn and tully was at his classiest best despite being on the end of the worst free kick ever payed on the 1/4 time siren. Lorne looked good, clancy even better and lee hollmer played alot forward, perhaps his shoulder was not as good as he said?

May 29, 2007
australia
Alvie FC
we have a good side 4 this weeks game boom way better side when we last met alvie so should be a gr8 game saturday looking forward 2 it m8
i must admit devil you played a decent game yourself on saturday. Drifting across centre half forward and the odd spell in the ruck ,caused some damage and showed a touch of class.

Mr Magoo74

Rookie
Jun 18, 2008
Ballarat
Storm
does anyone know the extent of injuries from the weekend? Did Alvie have any from Sunday?

Lorne
Davies

Birre
Mason
Green
and I think another fella did his shoulder

Alvie

ozdevil1978

Jun 17, 2007
Anakie
i must admit devil you played a decent game yourself on saturday. Drifting across centre half forward and the odd spell in the ruck ,caused some damage and showed a touch of class.

thank you boom it was a good win hard fought but a good win all the same so im really looking forward to this weeks game as we have a few good players coming back into the side so should be a good game this sat as well

May 29, 2007
australia
Alvie FC
so through 2 weeks of finals and its all panned out relatively as expected. The worry for warra is that they only got up by 20 points with both tully and j hollmer both down on there best and heathcote to come in. How did Dan Casey go on the weekend?

Mr Magoo74

Rookie
Jun 18, 2008
Ballarat
Storm
Didn't think Casey did much at all, although he wasn't on his own as far as key forwards went. Shocking conditions for marking forwards. Lets hope the rest of the finals are played in pleasant conditions. Apparently 16 degrees and sunny on Saturday. Believe wehn I see it.

go wide

Mar 24, 2008
lorne hinterland
swamp rats dolphins
so through 2 weeks of finals and its all panned out relatively as expected. The worry for warra is that they only got up by 20 points with both tully and j hollmer both down on there best and heathcote to come in. How did Dan Casey go on the weekend?
All star midfield today 1 2 3 in b&f kelly,tully,alford and look out for a big one from jack hollmer,suffered from gastro last week and never really got going.Interesting inclusion for the dolphins hard nut troy tully for his first senior game for the year.If lorne make it through to next week will get heathcote back and maybe another hollmer....good luck to all involved today and finally under the radar went under the radar when the brains were handed out...

go wide

Mar 24, 2008
lorne hinterland
swamp rats dolphins
All star midfield today 1 2 3 in b&f kelly,tully,alford and look out for a big one from jack hollmer,suffered from gastro last week and never really got going.Interesting inclusion for the dolphins hard nut troy tully for his first senior game for the year.If lorne make it through to next week will get heathcote back and maybe another hollmer....good luck to all involved today and finally under the radar went under the radar when the brains were handed out...
Welcome back from suspension go wide, top post that...One to watch today is no 22 from lorne joel tipping. Probably the most gifted of the dolphin yuongsters(sorry smartty) the classy half back has struggled with osteo pubitus for much of the season but is pretty close to full fitness and today could be the day we see those withering runs and penetrating kicks he is so capable of,and yes he does love the body contact.Another to watch is no 8 boe trickey the unheralded young brother of the general of the back half shane. Toothy had a shocker last week and will be keen to prove to the lorne faithfull that he can produce the game required to be part of this lorne finals assault (who could forget his stopping job on a rampaging rathje in last years finals)...see you at the footy.

Grey Matter

Jun 23, 2008
geelong
Welcome back from suspension go wide, top post that...One to watch today is no 22 from lorne joel tipping. Probably the most gifted of the dolphin yuongsters(sorry smartty) the classy half back has struggled with osteo pubitus for much of the season but is pretty close to full fitness and today could be the day we see those withering runs and penetrating kicks he is so capable of,and yes he does love the body contact.Another to watch is no 8 boe trickey the unheralded young brother of the general of the back half shane. Toothy had a shocker last week and will be keen to prove to the lorne faithfull that he can produce the game required to be part of this lorne finals assault (who could forget his stopping job on a rampaging rathje in last years finals)...see you at the footy.
Great game today by 2 clubs displaying some of the best young talent seen for many years. Fast and Furious from the first bounce. All the big names had an impact, kelly, mccrickard, goonan, l hollmer , j hollmer, alford and tully but for me there were 2 real differences when the game was in the balance, Lorne's ability and Alvie's inability to hit targets under real pressure and the ability of Clancy to kick the big goals when needed. As I said earlier he could very well be the man who determins Lorne's fate next week...:thumbsu: Oh and welcome back Go Wide, your love of Lorne is only matched by Boom's love of Alvie and his hatred of IB.

fast eddy

Rookie
Apr 10, 2008
western vic
Great game today by 2 clubs displaying some of the best young talent seen for many years. Fast and Furious from the first bounce. All the big names had an impact, kelly, mccrickard, goonan, l hollmer , j hollmer, alford and tully but for me there were 2 real differences when the game was in the balance, Lorne's ability and Alvie's inability to hit targets under real pressure and the ability of Clancy to kick the big goals when needed. As I said earlier he could very well be the man who determins Lorne's fate next week...:thumbsu: Oh and welcome back Go Wide, your love of Lorne is only matched by Boom's love of Alvie and his hatred of IB.

I'd disagree that all the big names had an impact. Goonan didnt trouble the scorers and tully was down in my opinion

May 29, 2007
australia
Alvie FC
So Boom will you be submitting a profile on all the players from the 2 teams participating this weekend and potential match ups?
no thanks...however i have come to the conclusion that irrewarra will win. Tell me go wide why hollmer was used in such a defensive role on saturday? Tully injured and the coach down on form, cant see them beating warra. especially now its likely to be dry. If you dont know what a warra *** is have a look around if they happen to get up on saturday. Warra *** should be out in force and at their worst. Although if they choke again then they will be displaying symptoms of warra *** anyway so either way, with three teams in the football finals, they will be on display all day. Perhaps if a bomb was to be dropped on the ground...under the radar you might be the type of character to arrange something like that:thumbsu:

go wide

Mar 24, 2008
lorne hinterland
swamp rats dolphins
no thanks...however i have come to the conclusion that irrewarra will win. Tell me go wide why hollmer was used in such a defensive role on saturday? Tully injured and the coach down on form, cant see them beating warra. especially now its likely to be dry. If you dont know what a warra *** is have a look around if they happen to get up on saturday. Warra *** should be out in force and at their worst. Although if they choke again then they will be displaying symptoms of warra*** anyway so either way, with three teams in the football finals, the *** will be on display all day. Perhaps if a bomb was to be dropped on the ground...under the radar you might be the type of character to arrange something like that:thumbsu:
Its all about structure boom,dont show all your cards prelim day.As for calling under the radar a character,i reckon he has about as much character as a house brick and the same IQ....Rumours..A.Kelly not coaching Winch but going to St Marys as a player only,and Otway to roll alvie in the unders.....ONLY 5 MORE SLEEPS WARRA