Opinion Where will we finish in 2020?

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints TV

Club Legend
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
With a host of new names, players back from injury and expected growth in current players, where do you think we will honestly finish on the ladder in 2020?

I have a feeling between the 6-10 range.

Video below to discuss - also if you haven’t already, please follow Saints TV on FB and Instagram

7th hey!
I know what your thinking Gresh....Then we go on a Bulldogs like run to win the flag, only we never leave the MCG!
With wins against Essendon, Geelong and Richmond culminating in a 2pt win in the GF against Collingwood to win our 2nd flag!
Perfect September!

And the part i like the most is that it's also very realistic! Go Saints! :)

I would say 9th and missing finals by percentage only, as we don't kick big scores.

I can see us going backwards this year ala 2018. My reason is that teams around us will improve more than us. Best scenario in my opinion is we win 5 of our home games and pinch 2 away wins for a total of 7 wins and 15 losses. Worst scenario is we do not pinch any away wins and finish with 5 wins for the year.

Of the teams that finished below us last year I can see Melbourne, Carlton and Sydney overtaking us. It will be us and Gold Coast that will battle for the wooden spoon.

In 2021 I can see Gold Coast jumping up the ladder too, with us firmly planted at the bottom. My reasoning is that we have trashed 4 National Drafts in the last 7 years (including 2020), with our stupid plan of bringing in ready made players. Thank you Gags.

I can see us going backwards this year ala 2018. My reason is that teams around us will improve more than us. Best scenario in my opinion is we win 5 of our home games and pinch 2 away wins for a total of 7 wins and 15 losses. Worst scenario is we do not pinch any away wins and finish with 5 wins for the year.

Of the teams that finished below us last year I can see Melbourne, Carlton and Sydney overtaking us. It will be us and Gold Coast that will battle for the wooden spoon.

In 2021 I can see Gold Coast jumping up the ladder too, with us firmly planted at the bottom. My reasoning is that we have trashed 4 National Drafts in the last 7 years (including 2020), with our stupid plan of bringing in ready made players. Thank you Gags.
i suppose when you set the bar that low with such pessimism there is not much room for disappointment....but fortunately i think there's plenty of reasons to inculcate a little faith. A lot will depend on the plan in place to use what weve got effectively to their strengths. Everyone is talking up RATTS and his capability and difference as a Coach. If he is better than RICHO then that will give us an increment of improvement. if the injuries sustained decrease and work to our favour......there's another increment of improvement. The players weve imported at least on paper seem to have achieved a net gain and another increment. We wont be carrying a jack steven or Paddy this year. Thats not even suggesting or including that lesser lights will have improved and add yet another increment to our overall performance.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those who are saying we can make the 8 , its easy to say it but who's spot are we going to take and other teams that finished around us will also improve not just us , I think in 2021 we will see us jump up with another season into Clarke , Coff , Bytel, King ect

For those who are saying we can make the 8 , its easy to say it but who's spot are we going to take and other teams that finished around us will also improve not just us , I think in 2021 we will see us jump up with another season into Clarke , Coff , Bytel, King ect

Methendon would be the obvious one..

Brisbane lept from 15th in 2018 to 2nd and whilst I expect they'll stay up they haven't got the long term runs on the board to be considered sure things

Collingwood, with an ordinary backline, no decent tall forwards and no decent back up ruck are only an injury to Grundy and one or 2 of their mids away from falling away

FWIW I have us 8th-13th next year so agree with a lot of what you're saying. 2021 is the year we start to rise. But it's not unreasonable to expect the 8 to be vastly different next year than it was in 2019

Making 8th usually seems about having a good percentage.
I think we are in the mix of possibles so far as win/loss potential, and the final result will be influenced by things like injuries and some burnout in the younger guys, and of course the curse will find an opportunity to make it's presence known.

Agree about 2021 being the big year though. Since they've obviously turned away from taking on more 18yo starting last year, we can draw a line under Ming and Bytel as our bottom agers, making (in theory) 2021 their 3rd season which is rightly where we'd expect a jump in performance.

It's also fair to give Ratts a years grace to sort everything out.
His influence remains the biggest X factor in all this, and we shouldn't discount it's effect.
If he's able to develop synergy within the group then we could well turn out to be the biggest surprise packet of the season.

We're well stacked for talented youth when you look at it. Clark, Coff, Ming, Bytel, Battle should all be high quality. I'd throw Paton in there too as a Mr reliable type that will be a mainstay soon, and Parker could still be anything.
But what about your boy Claverino? Is he gonna make it?
If Robbo makes it back, he will have a hard time getting in, but if he's got the goods then that's fully 1/3rd of our best 22 that are currently 21 or under with most of them potential A graders.

The shackles are off, and the list cloggers moved on. We may yet be pleasantly surprised.

Making 8th usually seems about having a good percentage.
I think we are in the mix of possibles so far as win/loss potential, and the final result will be influenced by things like injuries and some burnout in the younger guys, and of course the curse will find an opportunity to make it's presence known.

Agree about 2021 being the big year though. Since they've obviously turned away from taking on more 18yo starting last year, we can draw a line under Ming and Bytel as our bottom agers, making (in theory) 2021 their 3rd season which is rightly where we'd expect a jump in performance.

It's also fair to give Ratts a years grace to sort everything out.
His influence remains the biggest X factor in all this, and we shouldn't discount it's effect.
If he's able to develop synergy within the group then we could well turn out to be the biggest surprise packet of the season.

We're well stacked for talented youth when you look at it. Clark, Coff, Ming, Bytel, Battle should all be high quality. I'd throw Paton in there too as a Mr reliable type that will be a mainstay soon, and Parker could still be anything.
But what about your boy Claverino? Is he gonna make it?
If Robbo makes it back, he will have a hard time getting in, but if he's got the goods then that's fully 1/3rd of our best 22 that are currently 21 or under with most of them potential A graders.

The shackles are off, and the list cloggers moved on. We may yet be pleasantly surprised.
Agree 100% , Yeah Clav is in for a tough year im thinking, We are just staked for backman and now Austin is fit and Dougie is here its going to be a big ask to get into the team , all you can hope is that he rips it apart for Sandy to show he is worth another contract as the kid is only young and i dont think Jake has much left in him , Robbo is no certainty so as long as he shows more next season i think he is still a chance

Methendon would be the obvious one..

Brisbane lept from 15th in 2018 to 2nd and whilst I expect they'll stay up they haven't got the long term runs on the board to be considered sure things

Collingwood, with an ordinary backline, no decent tall forwards and no decent back up ruck are only an injury to Grundy and one or 2 of their mids away from falling away

FWIW I have us 8th-13th next year so agree with a lot of what you're saying. 2021 is the year we start to rise. But it's not unreasonable to expect the 8 to be vastly different next year than it was in 2019
Yep spot on Mr Kegs! Plenty of spots up for grabs in the 8 for 2020!

Outside of the Tigers there are no standout teams where you would say they are firmly entrenched as a top side
And i would include Geelong into the possibles of dropping out! Surely the lowlifes are due to fall with their ageing list
And once again they have very much recruited for the now, so i can see them either being boom or bust with the latter a distinct possibility!

It's not like we need to improve a massive amount just to sneak into the 8 anyway from this season!
And with the new exciting inclusions, a youthful brigade chock full of talent that is ready to blossom, together with a
New coaching group and gameplan i personally think it's a bigger stretch to see how we could not improve!
For the first time in a long time i am genuinely bullish about our fortunes for the next 5 years! It's Time for the Saints Juggernaut to take a hold!

Still it is the Saints after all so as the saying always applies with us expect the Unexpected!
So strap yourselves in and feel the G's folks......It should be one hell of a ride! :stkilda:

I think it will take about 6 rounds to figure our best team + get it to gel properly. So tipping we drop some games we should win early in the season and then win some we should lose later in the draw.

8th - 12th with some luck injury wise.

I think it will take about 6 rounds to figure our best team + get it to gel properly. So tipping we drop some games we should win early in the season and then win some we should lose later in the draw.

8th - 12th with some luck injury wise.

I reckon we have about 9 winnable games. I think we'll drop some easy ones early and finish around 7 to 9 wins with some extras from unexpected wins.

I think if we can rummage up 11 to 12 wins for the year, then it's a good season & the best that can be reasonably expected, anything beyond that is a happy bonus. I think guys like Stuv, Bruce, & even Newnesy were the next tier down after Rooey and Joey, and they've gone...which will leave a decade long (hopefully temporary) vacuum in leadership...even if the leadership was found to be somewhat lacking. Hopefully Hanner's gets it together enough to be a strong voice, because I think Gears needs a bit of help with it ( nothing against Geary, but our team is timid compared to others) and even dudes like Carlisle, Robbo, Ryder, Steele can take charge of the direction we want to go in. If that happens, and players keep improving, or stop coasting then maybe we may just sneak into the finals. Personally I doubt it. For mine, the players are there, but the team unfortunately for 2020, is not. We finish anywhere from 10th-13th.

Last edited:
The most important thing to remember is how even the competition is these days.

So with a bit of luck injury wise, a little rise in confidence, a couple of youngsters taking the next step, things just clicking - then every side is definitely capable of making the finals.

So lets assume that unlike the last two years we just break even on all of the above then its 6 to 10 for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back