• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Where will we finish in 2021 predictions ? We pretty much know what our list is now so time to start having a stab at next season, we can then look back in 9 months time and see how stupid some of our predictions look.

I'll break it up into 5 categories, 1-4, 5-8. 9-12, 13-15 and 16-18.

I'm going with the 13-15 bracket, but at least in 2021 we'll be playing a younger 22 demographic that would give us hope that the rebuild to the future has started. I think it's possible we could push into the 9-12 bracket if we play our home venues at the G and in Tassie relatively ok.

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'll go conservative and say 9-11. Hearing Jaeger on Xavier Ellis' podcast (must listen btw) he said how Clarko honestly thinks we're not that far off it, we've honestly added some good players plus some nice young talent too.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
I'll go conservative and say 9-11. Hearing Jaeger on Xavier Ellis' podcast (must listen btw) he said how Clarko honestly thinks we're not that far off it, we've honestly added some good players plus some nice young talent too.

I was hearing these vibes out of the club pre 2020, that internally clarko and co thought we could push top 4.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
At best I'll say 10th.

At worst 16th.

The injection of youth should energise the group but the existing senior players will all need to play to the best of their abilities for 22 games if we are to be anywhere near the top half of the ladder.

Excited for the season ahead regardless. I love how we traded and drafted this off-season so I'm looking forward to seeing how DGB, Downie, Phillips etc all contribute next year.

Also super excited to see how Worpel, Greaves, Moore, Cousins, Day and Finn develop with another (hopefully full) pre-season under their belts.

mustang

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds United
I think 16-18 which would give us another top 3 pick to get one of the top Midfielder in the draft. I feel the list has a lot of holes in it and needs a major rebuild it has started but needs a lot more. Like to see us get at least get 10 games into Downie,Danver,Brockman,Jeka and a couple of our other speedster we drafted.

Hopefully Lewis and Worpel can return to there form of 2019 and Day can continue to develop and push into the midfield as I feel Day could be like Pendlebury and Greaves also continue to develop well.

Mitchell, Impey can also get back to there pre injury form.

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
anywhere between 5th and 11th in my opinion. We aren't as terrible as some make us out to be but we are still of the pace of the top competitors.
Optimistically I'll say we're pushing finals and I think we're not too far off challenging for finals consistently for a few years.

CobberRodgers

All Australian
Feb 14, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Depends on if we have Ben McEvoy the HBF on our list or Big Boy the ruckman on our list.

Depends on if we have Ben McEvoy the HBF on our list or Big Boy the ruckman on our list.
100%

IMO, it's likely we'll have some very good wins but be let down by some silly losses - so inconsistency will probs see us just miss finals.

Last edited:

Bumps"N"Grins

Premiership Player
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sell the team Dolan
Happy to watch us do the hard yards whilst in transition 13-15 for me. Not saying my prediction as a nark, going to love looking for the positive in most games.

My real watch for the year is to death ride Collingwood for the season.

On Topic

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If we get significant improvement from the younger guys with the rest of the list performing at their best then we can make the 8.

Things could also be more same-same if we don’t improve from last year and finish bottom 4.

I think we are likely to have some improvement though and finish 9-12.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
I expect we will finish in the bottom six. We have far too many mediocre players that are likely to get games.

I think finishing bottom four, again, is a real chance if we play the same rubbish game plan. IMO most of our improvement will come from simply changing that.

At the end of the day I'm not too fussed given it's a bumper draft, and so long as we get a good look at guys like DGB, Finn, Greaves, Jeka, Jiath, Downie, Morris, Mitchell, Brockman. They will generate some interest and excitement.

Last edited:
in 2021 we'll be playing a younger 22 demographic that would give us hope that the rebuild to the future has started.
With five 31+ year old players moving on, that was always going to make the side younger.

9-12 if
The backline can cover for Sis being out.
The midfield gel again like they were starting to in '19
Cegs needs to improve with the mids, a lot.
Mitch and or Patton to be focal forwards that demand and want the ball in their hands.
New leaders to step up and drag the others up when needed.
9-12 is a bit of no man's land but if we see the improvement and competitive drive, 2022 might be a new dawn.

13-15 if it all turns to s**t again though

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
To be honest, I'm not overly fussed. In a perverse kinda way, I'm sort of half enjoying this lull period in between contending, there's less pressure. It's less nerve wracking. I'm not hanging on the result of every single game. These periods provide a good break from that.

I know we will come again, we always do. It's just a matter of when...

kazzooka

Premiership Player
May 20, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If we play our best ruckman in the ruck and our best chb at chb we will be in a much better position.

I'm with Chad Wingard, premiership.

Expecting less is accepting less and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Every year I've been watching hawthorn we've been the best in the comp. (since 1990). Injuries, cheating and umpires are why we haven't won 30 flags in a row.

dermott

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2004
Portsea
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
I have put 2020 behind me as an aberration. Assuming 2021 is a “normal” season and everyone has been vaccinated, I think our coaching staff and current list is good enough for bottom of the eight.
Obviously there is always a element of luck involved with injuries, our draw etc but you have to be optimistic and aim for finals.

Back