Spursfan

Club Legend
Mar 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
I reckon we'll win between 7 and 9 games and finish not in the bottom 4 probably in the next bracket above. Its more about seeing the continuing development of our younger players that I will look forward to.

kenneje

Premiership Player
Apr 25, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
I genuinely think this group as a starting 18 can scrape into the 8 after playing a lot of games at the G.

Hardwick - Hartigan - DGB
Day - Frost - Scrimshaw

McEvoy
- Mitchell - Worpel
Phillips
- O'Meara - Scully

Breust
- Gunston - Wingard

Impey - Lewis - Burgoyne

Players 19-28 are the unknown ...

One of the things that massively impacted us last year (and I know for a fact it stopped Maginnes from playing more games) was the lack of match practice for our youngsters and new recruits.
It was almost impossible to come into the team with any momentum.

Sam Mitchell driving the seniors gameplan every week down at Box Hill is going to be HUGE.

So many ifs and maybes here - yeah 13-16

BUT

What happens if Tom Mitchell regains his Brownlow form and he and the torpedo gel?
Mitch Lewis regains his confidence and touch from 2019? Patton stays on the park and also gains confidence in his body?

If everything goes right we could even sneak back into the eight.

I previously posted that we'd just miss finals... but I was wrong.

We should win the whole thing, but with a bit of bad luck will probs have to settle for Top 4, winning 1 or 2 finals.

Have to wait to win it in 2022.

HAWKSBESTEVA

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If we are healthy we will play finals, we didn’t bring Mitchell o’meara and wingard across To rebuild. Our team on paper is good enough for finals, we will be back at the mcg , no hubs etc. listen to wingard the other day the whole group is hungry and striving for another flag. Our performances against Richmond and lions at the G before the hubs were amazing, pretty sure we were like 3-1 before the hubs. Can’t wait for the upcoming season.

MasterSamurai

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
BayernMunchen
Our game style needs more than just a tweak imo. İf we can get that clean , quick and at times frantic ball movement going then that gets our frds and outside mids a huge chance to hurt opposition on the scoreboard but we MUST get our intercept game right from the back half first.
The 26+ year Olds need to lead by example and the younger players will come into their own with confidence. There's enough talent there, clarko just needs to get the game plan and mix right. Plus no more severe injuries particularly to star senior players.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
If we are healthy we will play finals, we didn’t bring Mitchell o’meara and wingard across To rebuild. Our team on paper is good enough for finals, we will be back at the mcg , no hubs etc. listen to wingard the other day the whole group is hungry and striving for another flag. Our performances against Richmond and lions at the G before the hubs were amazing, pretty sure we were like 3-1 before the hubs. Can’t wait for the upcoming season.

Sadly we've lost arguably our best player for the season already.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Bottom third of the table. Even with the great Clarko, our list is well behind Richmond, Geelong, Giants, Lions, Eagles, Demons, Dogs, Port...

To finish top 8:
- Mitchell needs to get back to Brownlow form
- Patton and/or Mitch Lewis need to have break-out/best years
- BB needs to ruck or Cegs needs to have a career best year
- Breust and Gunston need to kick 100 between them
- A bunch of younger players e.g. Worps, Scrimmers, Day, Phillips, Greaves, etc need to have very good years
- Not many injuries...

HAWKSBESTEVA

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sadly we've lost arguably our best player for the season already.
Last time I checked Tom Mitchell was healthy 🤨, nah It sucks man but I got faith we can cover Sicily with DGB and scrimshaw. if we suck by like round 10 I hope we start playing downie Brockman Mitchell for the rest of the year.

HAWKSBESTEVA

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Bottom third of the table. Even with the great Clarko, our list is well behind Richmond, Geelong, Giants, Lions, Eagles, Demons, Dogs, Port...

To finish top 8:
- A bunch of younger players e.g. Worps, Scrimmers, Day, Phillips, Greaves, etc need to have very good years
- Not many injuries...
Not worried about beating Demons or port, we should of beat port with half our vfl side in. At our best we can beat any side in the comp, hopefully we are consistent next year

HAWKSBESTEVA

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Eagles will defs be right up there this coming szn, I have them behind Richmond. They are just a strong team all over the field. This season they had some big injuries like yeo shuey out and got robbed against the pies by the umps.

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Last time I checked Tom Mitchell was healthy 🤨, nah It sucks man but I got faith we can cover Sicily with DGB and scrimshaw. if we suck by like round 10 I hope we start playing downie Brockman Mitchell for the rest of the year.
Sicily is a huge blow but our backline remains a strength. Anything is possible, I just struggle to see us winning enough games for finals with our tall set up. It would require one or more of Ceglar, Lewis or Patton to do a complete 180 I think.

Not overly convinced GWS and WC are standing in too many teams way this year.

Hard to say, sometimes the fall can come from nowhere the same as the rise up the ladder. Honestly GWS are far more primed to perform in 2021 than West Coast.

If GWS do fall out it'll be psychological more than anything. In terms of genuinely elite players they've still got more than a handful, and they're still in the right age bracket. Plus, if they can get Hogan back to somewhere near his best, I honestly doubt they feel the loss of Cameron that much.

West Coast on the other hand, despite not being as strong on them I'm not about to write them off considering their turnaround after 2017.

I am in the 13-15 camp... but... hoping for better.

Get some games into the new boys, get Finn on the park, let the blonde Prince recover fully,
figure out a better game (i.e. not chipping backwards and long to contests in the forward-line).

Then, some more good picks next year and try to drag ourselves back up the ladder in 2022.

Of course... I hope that I'm wrong.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I genuinely think this group as a starting 18 can scrape into the 8 after playing a lot of games at the G.

Hardwick - Hartigan - DGB
Day - Frost - Scrimshaw

McEvoy
- Mitchell - Worpel
Phillips
- O'Meara - Scully

Breust
- Gunston - Wingard

Impey - Lewis - Burgoyne

Players 19-28 are the unknown ...

One of the things that massively impacted us last year (and I know for a fact it stopped Maginnes from playing more games) was the lack of match practice for our youngsters and new recruits.
It was almost impossible to come into the team with any momentum.

Sam Mitchell driving the seniors gameplan every week down at Box Hill is going to be HUGE.

What practice they did get was 'scratchy' but all reports said the 'twos' dominated most of those games, so there's room for optimism

I reckon the lack of optimism generally has a lot to do with no Sicily. Remember they just missed finals despite losing Mitchell in 2019

Last edited:

HolyRioli

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds Utd
Agree on GWS, the Eagles or be it ageing I still feel have one more season to run it back.

maybe, but their form away from home this year, for a flag contender, can’t be swept under the rug as easily as a lower team like us. Managed to lose their final, at home, to a Collingwood unit on its last legs, who just wanted it more. I think they’re a little mentally weak

- JJK, Shuey ageing
- return to longer quarters = less NicNat impact
- Yeo OP (though did have less impact in 2020 than previous years)

They’ll make the finals, but I don’t see them going that far

GWS - recalibration / settling year IMO. Between Shaw, Corr, Williams, Cameron, and Langdon, that’s 5 regular best 22 that’ve departed. Chemistry takes some time to form, and harder the more players are introduced. Long term I think they’re fine

Nov 21, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chelsea, Detroit Pistons
I think with a reasonable/favourable run with injuries, the team will be in the 7-13 logjam of teams on 9-12 wins. Take some unexpected scalps and then have inexplicable losses against teams we should beat.

This is predicated on a better functioning midfield. The midfield performed considerably worse than the sum of it's parts in 2020 and I'm going to assume that's an aberration that will be overcome unless it persists through to mid 2021.

If that fails (and it's a real chance) then the team will fall into the bottom 6 again and have to think really hard about the role the (then) 28+ core can play in our next flag.

It's harder to imagine a top 6 season with the group. A lot would have to go right.

Nov 21, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chelsea, Detroit Pistons

To finish top 8:
- Not many injuries...

If all of that happens, we will be top 4 and contending for the flag.

A brownlow clearance mid with a functioning ruck, 2 forwards kicking 100 between them, another FF going at 2+ goals a game, half a dozen young players showing significant improvement and not many injuries?

That's not just a 'top 8' side, that side should be making a GF.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
maybe, but their form away from home this year, for a flag contender, can’t be swept under the rug as easily as a lower team like us. Managed to lose their final, at home, to a Collingwood unit on its last legs, who just wanted it more. I think they’re a little mentally weak

- JJK, Shuey ageing
- return to longer quarters = less NicNat impact
- Yeo OP (though did have less impact in 2020 than previous years)

They’ll make the finals, but I don’t see them going that far

GWS - recalibration / settling year IMO. Between Shaw, Corr, Williams, Cameron, and Langdon, that’s 5 regular best 22 that’ve departed. Chemistry takes some time to form, and harder the more players are introduced. Long term I think they’re fine

As long as Leon Cameron remains head coach I can't ever see them going the distance.

Back